Hunting pet peeve

Robhuntandfish

Mine is: me Not being able to hunt every day this time of year. I just want to be able to go anytime now, but must work.  I have 18 days to hunt in Nov though, so I can't complain too much.

2nd would be: Scouting state land a year in advance, and finding a great looking place miles off the road and setting up a stand well ahead of the season. I look forward to hunting that stand and wait for the right day when the wind and timing seems perfect, only to see another hunter.  It's no disrespect to the other hunters on state land, and they have just as much right as I do to be there, but it sure takes the air out of my sails when I see someone that far off the road on what is a very large piece of state land.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Mine would be ,stuff outside of my control changing the way the deer react where I'm hunting . To word it differently, me being too stupid to hunt deer successfully. This season has been a real eye opener.

not stupidity -- at least I hope not -- cause we have all been there. Thats part of the hunting is learning every year to be successful.  And then there are still new things thrown in there every year that are out of your control.  To me the best part of hunting is the puzzle.  

• Like 2

I have several but I think # 1 would be finding trash (bottles, wrappers, snack bags, etc.) in the woods left by some hunter to lazy to pick it up. Happens more during gun season that bow but still find stuff during bow.

#2) Would be to be out calling and have another caller set up and call right on the opposite side of the block.

#3) Hunters that shoot the first thing they see regardless of size.

#4) Hunters loosing deer due to poor shot placement and the lack of  shooting and  tracking skills.

#5) The hunter that just puts his/her cloths on for the first time in the season, grabs the gun, walks out the backdoor, shoots a 200lb 14 pointer and calls themselves a deer hunter.

I have others but will not bore you with the details:boredom:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

People stealing my gear! 

I seem to lose a tree stand every year. We hunt a small piece of private land not too far from the landowners house. There is a stand on 2 sides of a bedding area. Last week my son was in one and the guy came to mow the owners lawn. After mowing he must have took a walk into the woods and spotted the other stand. Son said he heard metal clanking and thought it sounded like the stand. He got down and headed for the road and caught the guy with the stand at his truck. Son is a big guy in his 30's, and he was really letting the a-hole have it but the landowner came home and saved him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DDT said:

I seem to lose a tree stand every year. We hunt a small piece of private land not too far from the landowners house. There is a stand on 2 sides of a bedding area. Last week my son was in one and the guy came to mow the owners lawn. After mowing he must have took a walk into the woods and spotted the other stand. Son said he heard metal clanking and thought it sounded like the stand. He got down and headed for the road and caught the guy with the stand at his truck. Son is a big guy in his 30's, and he was really letting the a-hole have it but the landowner came home and saved him. 

i would LOVE to catch a thief.

Hunter b!tching about what other hunters do.

Now I'm not talking about people complaining about litters or people stealing and that stuff but the guys who think everyone should hunt the way they do drives me crazy. The, you shouldn't shoot small bucks, that's too far of a shot, shouldn't shoot running deer, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Sky -busting morons who shoot at ducks and geese way out of range, usually when they are starting to circle  come in...

Saw wayyy too much of that over the weekend. Including from a guy we brought lol we all looked at him like he just murdered someone because he didn't wait for the "shoot em" or "kill em."

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hunter b!tching about what other hunters do.

Now I'm not talking about people complaining about litters or people stealing and that stuff but the guys who think everyone should hunt the way they do drives me crazy. The, you shouldn't shoot small bucks, that's too far of a shot, shouldn't shoot running deer, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what you say, 7600....But in my example   there are usually other people hunting  nearby, and shooting at birds at ranges that it is nearly impossible to kill them ( 75 yards PLUS)  is only ruining the hunting for any other hunters in the same general area...  If there  are any hunters here who can  kill ducks at 75 yards with even the SLIGHEST amount of regularity  with  legal shot loads, I'd like to hear from them, as long as they have proof and documentation of their ability..

9 hours ago, grampy said:

My #1 is, guy's too selfish to take a kid hunting because it may, "mess up THEIR hunt".  Sadly, I have seen this before. And tried my best to correct it. Not always successfully though.

You have made me see the error of my ways, Grampy...

I have decided to take Moog  gobbler hunting next spring  to  see if we can break the little feller's cherry....<,GRIN>>....

Now if I can only find a blind big enough for the both of us......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1