windy conditions - Hunt?

nybuckboy

on the many occasions that I've been in the field when the wind is HOWLING ( 4H is crazy with its wind) deer movement seems to shut down, not saying I haven't seen them while its windy. I say go enjoy the afternoon regardless, can't catch anything while at home on the couch.  

I was going to give it a shot but this happened last night.  Lucky for me it did not hit my truck!  So I went into work today and will try to get out tomorrow.  4 ft in any other direction and I would be replacing my truck or repairing my house!  Thank you lord!!!  I don't have another 40,000 sitting around right now for another truck!   Dodged a bullet on this one, man did the house shake when this fell!  I skip hunting high winds due to issues with aiming under those conditions and I hate being in a tree with more than 30 mph winds!  Hope tomorrow has good movement!  

IMG_1243.JPG

• Like 1

High winds are great for still hunting or hunting from the ground, the wind confuses them and they cant tell where the scent is coming from. It also masks any noise you might make.

Saturday we had some good winds, I got down early on the night sit and saw four doe feeding in the open (which they are prone to do in winds). I was able to stalk into range but couldn't manage a shot, even at ten yards down wind they never smelled me. I did get busted once the main doe circled behind and had me twisted up like a pretzel, she caught me move my foot.

I have little interest sitting up in a tree in high winds though.

• Like 1

I shot one of my nicest archery bucks during a windy day like today..He was shadowing a doe.. it took her close to an hour to lead him the 100yds to pass my stand.  The wind was causing so much noise. She was constantly  stopping and looking around.. He was clueless, just concentrating on her.

So imo.. I would definitely hunt..

8 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I was going to give it a shot but this happened last night.  Lucky for me it did not hit my truck!  So I went into work today and will try to get out tomorrow.  4 ft in any other direction and I would be replacing my truck or repairing my house!  Thank you lord!!!  I don't have another 40,000 sitting around right now for another truck!   Dodged a bullet on this one, man did the house shake when this fell!  I skip hunting high winds due to issues with aiming under those conditions and I hate being in a tree with more than 30 mph winds!  Hope tomorrow has good movement!  

IMG_1243.JPG

Far luckier than my gf.  This was from a micro burst last year.

IMG_2912.jpg

• Sad 1

I shot my best archery buck yet on a very windy day, Gman had to talk me into a sit on an open field edge as I wanted to got down into a creek bed hollow to get out of the wind. "hunt this field, wind doesn't bother the deer" and he was right! But it was a cold sit, wet snow blowing in my face and 30+ mph winds! but it was worth every minute of it! 

Last year in the middle of October it was way too windy to hunt so I decided to go out and move a stand instead in my street clothes...don’t know why i’m even bothering to bring my bow...wait...are those...antlers..down in that ravine...? Wind was perfect enough that I got within 30 yards and nailed him. Nicest deer I have gotten so far. So you never know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was in the woods by 12 today and saw 12 deer so not to bad for a slightly windy day!  2 spike bucks where the highlight I checked their hall pass and it was good so I let them go.  Wow those microbursts are crazy, we experienced some camping in Moose River one year after 3 days the Rangers and loggers where able to cut their  way into us but we still had a few more days to go.  They said we where trapped for 3 days but we just kept hunting.  Crazy winds! 

Edited by NFA-ADK