What do you guys do for a living?

BigVal

I have worked all sorts of jobs. And I'm only 23 lol. I currently have been working in the construction industry but I really want a change. I am looking for my career now and don't see it being where I am. I'm definitely open to going to school again. (Have a bachelor's degree) but unfortunately not in a field that is paying the bills. I've been researching cnc machining, lineman programs, plumbing school etc. What do you do and would you recommend it? Ultimately I'd love to be a local police officer or in the fire department but time is ticking and I don't like waiting. 

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you considered taking the test for state corrections? Decent pay all the over time you want and you don't have to work a single day during hunting season if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir I actually got a letter for it when I was 18 and in college. Being dumb I thought na I'll finish school and be rich when I'm done. Lol. I'll be taking it again this next test. 

6 minutes ago, Rookie1226 said:

Where are you from?

Buffalo suburbs

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm an English major (just kidding, try reading my post in the climber improvement thread) .  Done a ton of machining and tool making as well as work fixtures/jigs . CNC and manual equipment . Feel free to contact me if you go the machining route .

Thank you! I'm still researching and liking what I see here. I've worked machines (slitting) and see that cnc seems to be a more desirable route. 

you can make a good honest living in the trades. i recommend hvac, plumbing or electrical if you have knack or desire for any of them. But I'll say this. All my buddies in those profession work a LOT. And they don't get in the woods as much as they want lol.

Edited by Belo

2 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Yes sir I actually got a letter for it when I was 18 and in college. Being dumb I thought na I'll finish school and be rich when I'm done. Lol. I'll be taking it again this next test. 

Buffalo suburbs

Thank you! I'm still researching and liking what I see here. I've worked machines (slitting) and see that cnc seems to be a more desirable route. 

It could be ,you have to be careful not to get stuck as an operator who only knows the one machine that you always work on. If you're good and work out, they'll train you on multiple machines . I moved around a few times after I was done learning everything I could get from a few places ,it's like any other skilled trade ,the guys who know the most are best off.

If time off to hunt is part of the equation on career paths there isn't a better job. I have worked in the trades field and In a paper mill have made good money at all of them but time off during season was always tough, now I don't work during deer season if I don't want to.

LT in the FD . Before that I loaded safes into tractor trailers .

It took me 7 years to get on , two tests 4 years apart then a 3 year wait after second one . Got on at 30, had to sell a house and move into city to get hired . You’re 23, if you want LEO / FD there is time .

Have a plan B too, my new guy just came from a machine shop, 27 owns a home and so on .

Good luck .

Oldest daughter is a RN, decent money , all the OT she wants because they are AJWAYS short of nurses . Hours ( over nights ) can suck though , but you’ll work with mostly all girls !

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Have you considered taking the test for state corrections? Decent pay all the over time you want and you don't have to work a single day during hunting season if you want.

You have to live through working crappy shifts for years before you can have the seniority to take that kind of time off. I work in a county jail (not a CO) but in Food service as a Director. Some of the guys take that kind of time off but certainly not all of them. And yes they do work a ton of OT, some mandatory,  to make good money. I prefer to take it easy with my company and still make good money without the OT. The Pro's for CO's are good benefits and decent pay, the cons, its jail, where the bad guys go with nothing to loose.

• Like 1

Thanks guys , I am close to being able to get my first home with my gf. So definitely can't take a loss on pay for a long period of time. I do take all the tests I can and am hoping to get a call but like I said, I don't like to wait. 

If I saved all the money I waisted on fast toys and trucks when I was fresh out of school I'd be in a house by now lol. 

• Like 1

LT in the FD . Before that I loaded safes into tractor trailers .
It took me 7 years to get on , two tests 4 years apart then a 3 year wait after second one . Got on at 30, had to sell a house and move into city to get hired . You’re 23, if you want LEO / FD there is time .
Have a plan B too, my new guy just came from a machine shop, 27 owns a home and so on .
Good luck .
Oldest daughter is a RN, decent money , all the OT she wants because they are AJWAYS short of nurses . Hours ( over nights ) can suck though , but you’ll work with mostly all girls !
Gotta love a cute girl in scrubs. Larry may be on to something here. You my friend should take note. Especially if you like helping people

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Gotta love a cute girl in scrubs. Larry may be on to something here. You my friend should take note. Especially if you like helping people

Right lol I have one cute girl that wears scrubs for work but could deal with a couple more :airkiss:

Jk of course

• Like 1

Upper management over multiple manufacturing facilities across the eastern half of the country. Over 30 years in and started as a machine operator way back when. I have put in enough time that I can usually be pretty flexible around hunting season. I am on call 24-7 though. I have done more than one conference call from the tree!

Just a word of wisdom to the job seeker above. You spend a great portion of your life at a job, most of us anyway. Your life will be a lot more enjoyable if you enjoy your work. If you want to be an officer or fireman do it. Learn to be an electrician why you wait. That will always give you a backup skill to fall back on as well as a comodity to trade for say other work, hunting rights.......

• Like 3

You have to live through working crappy shifts for years before you can have the seniority to take that kind of time off. I work in a county jail (not a CO) but in Food service as a Director. Some of the guys take that kind of time off but certainly not all of them. And yes they do work a ton of OT, some mandatory,  to make good money. I prefer to take it easy with my company and still make good money without the OT. The Pro's for CO's are good benefits and decent pay, the cons, its jail, where the bad guys go with nothing to loose.

We can swap shifts so seniority is a non issue. Work for the golfers and vacationers during spring and summer and not work a day for 3 months. Crappy shifts, depends on how you look at it. I generally work 3 16's a week and have 4 days off a week unless I want to pick up an overtime on a day off.

I"m a Tool & Die Maker, for a Manufacturing Company.. Garlock Sealing Technologies. I run CNC, Manual Machines, grinders etc.. I love my job. The best part is we cant hire anyone even if we wanted to. Last of a dying breed it seems.. Therefore we take the young(er) bucks since I'm only 31 lol and train them to learn all our tooling and the ins and outs of Garlock Tool making.. 

Great industry to be in, especially if you got a good head, can learn and advance. I heard of companies in Rochester that are seeking Machinists/Programmers that will pay $50+/hour with overtime. They cant find good machinists anymore. 

cant go wrong with any Skilled Trades 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

Right lol I have one cute girl that wears scrubs for work but could deal with a couple more :airkiss:  

Jk of course

Ahhhh didn't realize you a) had a girlfriend and b.) one that was already wearing scrubs. Well that just blows my pros to smithereens. 

• Like 1

Retired at age 55 from 32 years of law enforcement, worked those crappy shift and holidays and missed a few season along the way. The early years are tough but soon enough one gets seniority and I was able to bid good days off and shifts.

But worth every minute, now every day is Saturday ,I have full medical coverage and direct deposit..I took every civil service test available in the early years and started in a small town police dept. and after two years transferred to the county sheriff's office and made Lieutenant for 2/3 of my career.

• Like 3