How much meat should i get..

G-Man

This is a pa game commission chart but it's close to what your N.Y. deer should be.. If you weigh your deer or use chest measurement ( pulling tape tight) you should get close to this back from your butcher( remember if you destroy a ham or shoulder your gonna get less this is for a clean pass thru lung shot)..if not you may need to find a different butcher!59fb15cca67f5_Capture_2017-11-02-06-03-18.thumb.png.02d6e0ee6152cb3f5d4765b177a15b6c.png

• Like 5

On 11/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, G-Man said:

This is a pa game commission chart but it's close to what your N.Y. deer should be.. If you weigh your deer or use chest measurement ( pulling tape tight) you should get close to this back from your butcher( remember if you destroy a ham or shoulder your gonna get less this is for a clean pass thru lung shot)..if not you may need to find a different butcher!59fb15cca67f5_Capture_2017-11-02-06-03-18.thumb.png.02d6e0ee6152cb3f5d4765b177a15b6c.png

Within 5lbs. of what I get.

The smallest deer ever shot at my camp would not tip a 25lbs scale..  I thought it was the heart and liver in a bag at his feet when i saw it.. Swears it was best 12lbs of meat he ever had..  Only saving grace is that he also hold record for moist points. 12...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The smallest deer ever shot at my camp would not tip a 25lbs scale..  I thought it was the heart and liver in a bag at his feet when i saw it.. Swears it was best 12lbs of meat he ever had..  Only saving grace is that he also hold record for moist points. 12...

How could any deer in the Fall weigh less than 25lbs?! id say it wouldnt have survived the Winter, he did it a favor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How could any deer in the Fall weigh less than 25lbs?! id say it wouldnt have survived the Winter, he did it a favor

It was a very late born fawn it's feet were only 1 in long. Little button buck shot on dead run with muzzleloader. And yes it would not of survived.. Still good for ribbing him  every year..  It was the size of a large rabbit.. And you Could of put it in a game vest easily

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

It was a very late born fawn it's feet were only 1 in long. Little button buck shot on dead run with muzzleloader. And yes it would not of survived.. Still good for ribbing him  every year..  It was the size of a large rabbit.. And you Could of put it in a game vest easily

game vest . Im laughing my ass off over here

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I realize I waste some butchering since I am lazy and that I trim everything so it's lean but I average about 40 percent of dressed weight.  

i more with you on this.  i'm extremely picky and do a lot of trimming.  i separate muscle groups and cut away almost anything else.  i don't waste much for actual meat, but blood shot covered ribs around the area of the entrance and exit i don't try to get into and clean off.  i often get somewhere in the low 40's for % of dressed weight.  i've noticed over the years it fluctuates a little buck to doe and 4.5+ year old deer with big skeletal frames vs younger.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i more with you on this.  i'm extremely picky and do a lot of trimming.  i separate muscle groups and cut away almost anything else.  i don't waste much for actual meat, but blood shot covered ribs around the area of the entrance and exit i don't try to get into and clean off.  i often get somewhere in the low 40's for % of dressed weight.  i've noticed over the years it fluctuates a little buck to doe and 4.5+ year old deer with big skeletal frames vs younger.

I am thinking g mans chart is going to cause some words from hunters to their processors.  Lol.  Just kidding.  I just don't get that much but it's probably my lack of skill.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am thinking g mans chart is going to cause some words from hunters to their processors.  Lol.  Just kidding.  I just don't get that much but it's probably my lack of skill.  

i have no idea. lol i've been doing it since before i could legally hunt. i have yet to have a deer processed, despite sending in boned out meat in 20 lb at a time for venison products to be made.  i haven't had complaints but who knows if i'm actually doing it right.  we use a Hobart grinder from my dad's old store.  some of my relatives that borrow it throw a lot in there i don't.  thing just eats it and sucks it in but i just make sure my meat is separate.

This guys got it...^^^ right at about 40% TOPS of the dressed weight after its boned cleaned and trimmed. Those charts come in way high.

• Like 3

I've always cut my own but .the guy I use now is so inexpensive and does such good job that 60 bucks is well spent .went to a big processor a few times when I started hunting 30 years ago and I would. I love the guy that gets a fawn and wants 10 lbs of this and 20 lbs of that and 10 lbs of this..on top of his steaks and cuts.. I watch in awe as They would take the order..no questions asked.. I knew he only had 20 or 30 lbs of meat total to begin with.. That's why I started cutting myself till recently..

I cut meat in a store for 15 years, and had a deer processing business. This chart cannot possibly be for boneless meat. Boneless yield on an AVERAGE deer (slightly less for does and fawns, slightly more for a big buck) is 30-35% of live weight (if trimmed of all fat & silver). Most people don't save and eat the ribs because they are too fatty. 

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 5

Wow, according to that chart the 2-1/2 year old, busted up 5-point with a 15-1/2" inside spread and 43" chest girth that I killed this afternoon should yield over 100 pounds of venison and weigh 182 field-dressed.  I think that is wishful thinking.   I guessed it at 175.   It did strain the beam out in the garage and was rather difficult to hoist up with my cheap little block and tackle however.  I think I might get 80 pounds of boneless out of it, because it looks like there will be a lot of fat that needs trimming away.  With all the rain we had this year, they sure have been eating good.   

• Like 1

Seems a little high is this including the liver and heart ?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

when I butchered my buck this is the breakdown and yes that chart on the yield portion is on the high side. there is no way that I lost 27lbs of meat yield.

all weights done on certified digital scale.

chest circumference 42"

dressed weight, exactly 183 lbs.  (head and cape 46.6, front half 66.2, hind quarters 70.8)

ended up with 67.12  (67 lbs 12 oz.) of deboned meat.

40lbs even of ribcage/backbone , legs, pelvis, shoulder blades.

27lbs of fat, bloodshot, front and rear legs that were cut off during skinning.

I pick my deer pretty clean when processing.

deer weights are way over estimated by most hunters.  the average 1.5 yo deer dresses about 110-120  a 150 lb. dressed deer is a big deer, when you get get up into the 180 + range they make an average weight adult deer look like a fawn.  When you get to 200lbs they look like a small pony ( I have seen a few of them when working at the deer check stations in NH and Maine)  even in new england states they are not all that common.  

• Like 1

when I butchered my buck this is the breakdown and yes that chart on the yield portion is on the high side. there is no way that I lost 27lbs of meat yield.
all weights done on certified digital scale.
chest circumference 42"
dressed weight, exactly 183 lbs.  (head and cape 46.6, front half 66.2, hind quarters 70.8)
ended up with 67.12  (67 lbs 12 oz.) of deboned meat.
40lbs even of ribcage/backbone , legs, pelvis, shoulder blades.
27lbs of fat, bloodshot, front and rear legs that were cut off during skinning.
I pick my deer pretty clean when processing.
deer weights are way over estimated by most hunters.  the average 1.5 yo deer dresses about 110-120  a 150 lb. dressed deer is a big deer, when you get get up into the 180 + range they make an average weight adult deer look like a fawn.  When you get to 200lbs they look like a small pony ( I have seen a few of them when working at the deer check stations in NH and Maine)  even in new england states they are not all that common.  

This is all spot on. I’ve killed two pretty big does this year that came in 118 and 104. Tacos buck was a giant and was 155 if I remember? My best buck was 185 and he was absolutely huge, I would love to see a 200lber in person (hopefully with my tag on it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro