Treestand Height

Team Hoyt

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

How can you double lung anything with those angles? No room for error,is there?

the lungs just about fill the chest cavity, most of the autopsy's have shown both lungs sliced or 1 lung punched along with the heart.   blood trails start right at the arrow.

26 minutes ago, reeltime said:

the lungs just about fill the chest cavity, most of the autopsy's have shown both lungs sliced or 1 lung punched along with the heart.   blood trails start right at the arrow.

Whatever works for you,I wouldnt feel comfortable. Had a six point at 7 yds yesterday and i was maybe 15' up the tree,and I didn't like the angle then. But I am still fairly new to this,so I like to be extra careful.

Whatever works for you,I wouldnt feel comfortable. Had a six point at 7 yds yesterday and i was maybe 15' up the tree,and I didn't like the angle then. But I am still fairly new to this,so I like to be extra careful.
I fully understand and would never condemn someone for passing a shot they don't feel comfortable with. Confidence in your accuracy, shot angle, anatomy, distance, deers temperment etc. All play into the shot.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

40 feet up with a max shot of 10 yards? That shot angle would be straight down. I dont buy it.

I have shot deer right under me from 20' up what's wrong with a straight down shot or close to it? I'm not sure how many I have shot like this but I think more than broadside. LIke mentioned when that arrow exits the bottom of the chest cavity there is instant blood to where they die. I'm not calling you out to argue but I always thought it was a great shot vs a deer 20 yards away and putting an arrow halfway up the cavity.

Edited by chas0218

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I have shot deer right under me from 20' up what's wrong with a straight down shot or close to it? I'm not sure how many I have shot like this but I think more than broadside. LIke mentioned when that arrow exits the bottom of the chest cavity there is instant blood to where they die. I'm not calling you out to argue but I always thought it was a great shot vs a deer 20 yards away and putting an arrow halfway up the cavity.

Theres a huge difference between 20 and 40 feet lol. I shot my deer the other day from a 21' platform at 15 yards. The angle was pretty steep. The arrow went in the top part of the rib cage and came out between the brisket and leg. Trying to get one in there straight down would be reckless IMO, you have to deal with the spine being in the way, etc. Im just not taking that shot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Theres a huge difference between 20 and 40 feet lol. I shot my deer the other day from a 21' platform at 15 yards. The angle was pretty steep. The arrow went in the top part of the rib cage and came out between the brisket and leg. Trying to get one in there straight down would be reckless IMO, you have to deal with the spine being in the way, etc. Im just not taking that shot.

Ok gotcha. I always thought why not hit 1 lung and the heart. I have to say that all of the straight down shots were heart shots with 1 lung and basically power painter like blood trails. I only hit one in the spine and it was a straight facing towards shot. I shot through the artery and hit the spine. The buck dropped and bled out right where I shot him.

4 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Ok gotcha. I always thought why not hit 1 lung and the heart. I have to say that all of the straight down shots were heart shots with 1 lung and basically power painter like blood trails. I only hit one in the spine and it was a straight facing towards shot. I shot through the artery and hit the spine. The buck dropped and bled out right where I shot him.

Mine the other day took a nick out of the liver, took out one lung and right through the top of the heart. I would just be worried about the top of the ribs and spine being in the way of the heart from a super steep angle. 1 lung isnt a horrible hit, but Id rather get more than that. Just personal preference I guess.

Ive gotten lucky before and hit arteries in areas that most guys wouldnt purposely shoot for, but that was just luck.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Mine the other day took a nick out of the liver, took out one lung and right through the top of the heart. I would just be worried about the top of the ribs and spine being in the way of the heart from a super steep angle. 1 lung isnt a horrible hit, but Id rather get more than that. Just personal preference I guess.

Ive gotten lucky before and hit arteries in areas that most guys wouldnt purposely shoot for, but that was just luck.

No doubt both lungs guarantees a dead deer within 100 yards and a heart shot within eyesight usually. At least in my experience. Yeah I have hit the artery down the spine on botched shots, definitely lucky. I did hit the artery along with liver and 1 lung when i shot a hard quartering away downhill shot, drove the arrow from in front of the hind quarters hip all the way to opposite side front arm pit. I wasn't intentionally shooting for the artery just in the way to the vitals.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

im with you for the most part and feel chancing a heart shot and potential single lung is not a shot most should take in most circumstances. from 20 ft up i don't like taking any shot less then 20yrds. im sur e most dont practice these senerios and there was even a recent discussion of what pin to use in these situations. There were lots of conflicting opinions too.  I was under the belief that a single lung is one of the worst shots you can possibly make as it is definitely survivable. why do you "it isnt horrible"?

1 hour ago, brownclown said:

im with you for the most part and feel chancing a heart shot and potential single lung is not a shot most should take in most circumstances. from 20 ft up i don't like taking any shot less then 20yrds. im sur e most dont practice these senerios and there was even a recent discussion of what pin to use in these situations. There were lots of conflicting opinions too.  I was under the belief that a single lung is one of the worst shots you can possibly make as it is definitely survivable. why do you "it isnt horrible"?

Just nicking the top of one lung is survivable, but if you put a 2" gash in the middle or bottom, chances are, its not going to survive that.

• Like 1

I shot a buck last year at 13 yds from 20' up. The arrow just missed the spine by an inch or two and exited low on the ribcage on the opposite side,almost the middle of the deer. I did get both lungs and he only went 40 yds,but just a little up or down and it would have been a very different story.

But again,we all need to decide what we are comfortable with in every situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just nicking the top of one lung is survivable, but if you put a 2" gash in the middle or bottom, chances are, its not going to survive that.

thanks gonna have to read and research this more. i was under the impression the chances of survival with one lung were much higher. and you need to give them at least 6 hours before tracking. most people wont/dont and end up pushing the deer and never recover.

14 minutes ago, brownclown said:

thanks gonna have to read and research this more. i was under the impression the chances of survival with one lung were much higher. and you need to give them at least 6 hours before tracking. most people wont/dont and end up pushing the deer and never recover.

Sure, gotta give them more time

Thats why I said I dont buy it lol
The climbing sticks are 4', 10 sections equate to 40' that stands seat is even with the top T of the sticks.
Yes its a tough shot, but all 6 of the bucks shot out of that stand never made it more than 50 yards. The last big 8 walked a 10 yard half circle around me and dropped less than 10 yards from the tree.

Again, not everyone wants to be that high or shoot them that close and that's fine but it works for me.

10 minutes ago, reeltime said:

The climbing sticks are 4', 10 sections equate to 40' that stands seat is even with the top T of the sticks.
Yes its a tough shot, but all 6 of the bucks shot out of that stand never made it more than 50 yards. The last big 8 walked a 10 yard half circle around me and dropped less than 10 yards from the tree.

Again, not everyone wants to be that high or shoot them that close and that's fine but it works for me.

What brand sells 4 foot sections? 

Curious. 

We had one that was called the sky tower. It was up an extinson ladder then climb the tree a bit before you get to the platform and this looked over a ravine. I think I sat in it once. Great for viewing but shot angles were horrible. Now its nothing more than twenty feet.

All through my childhood I sat on a old tire at the bottom of a tree, now I have a ladder stand and a climber, I never go over 10 ft off the ground. I figure it gives me a little better view being in a stand and by the time they notice me I have a scope on their vitals.