Black hickory nuts

My aunt just spent 2 days picking up black hickory nuts that have fell off of her tree and asked if I would like to feed them to the deer that come up along side our deer camp next to the lake.

I told her I have no idea if the deer actually eat them but would find out. I imagine the squirrel population would love them either way.

Does anyone have any experience with these nuts?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:03 PM, TACC said:

My aunt just spent 2 days picking up black hickory nuts that have fell off of her tree and asked if I would like to feed them to the deer that come up along side our deer camp next to the lake.

I told her I have no idea if the deer actually eat them but would find out. I imagine the squirrel population would love them either way.

Does anyone have any experience with these nuts?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

We have an oak and shag bark hickory woods.  Deer eat the oak nuts first, then tend to go after the hickory nuts when oak are used up. They come in quite often when the snow pack builds up to eat hickory. Never find many shells so I believe they eat shell and all. That may not be right though. Squirrels are nuts about hickory.

Unfortunately in New York any time nuts are located into a different area than a nut tree, it's considered feeding and is against the law.

As others have said if you move them you open yourself up to illegal baiting. Personally I hunt one spot that is loaded with at least a couple different varieties of hickory and after years and many, many hundreds of hours hunting there I have never once seen a deer eat one. The squirrels absolutely love them though. I have read a few folks say the deer eat them but it must be some special variety I don't have.

Edited by Fletch

I have to say that I have never seen a deer eat a hickory nut. I have cracked a jillion of them for cooking, and cannot imagine a deer having the clamping force necessary to crack the shell of a hickory nut. I use a bench vise to develop enough force. And then it is an amazing job to separate the intermingled nut-meats from the hard sharp shards of the fractured shell. I mean, it is not like the thin shelled acorns with the single large nut meat inside. Hickory nuts are one nasty little bugger to open up and the sort through to get the relatively small edible contents out of.

Are you all sure that deer actually eat hickory nuts?