NYS Constututional Convention

Ok....Apparently there will be a proposal on the ballot to hold a Constitutional Convention for the NYS Constitution. I have to admit that I am no student of the NYS Constitution, and currently have no idea whether it needs revisions or upgrades. Since this is NYS, I am assuming that it probably does. However I am concerned as to how we would keep control of such a thing with the heavy liberal influence that this state would likely have for the majority of the delegates to such a rework of the state Constitution. I am just now aware of this proposal and have not yet updated myself on what is in that document, and that is something I intend to get involved in. Probably most on this forum are probably in the same boat, so I thought it might be useful to have a discussion on the proposal (pro & con). We'll be asked to vote on it, so it might be useful to have some opinions offered.

My gut feel right at the moment (subject to change) is that considering the potential outcome and the current political climate in this state, I am thinking that today's crowd are not mentally qualified to arrive at changes that I would be in favor of. Given my meager amount of knowledge of this document, if I had to make a decision right now, I would be against the proposal.

Any thoughts, opinions, or facts????

• Like 2

Vote No!  It would be a huge expense to taxpayers to have a convention and it would be dominated by special interest groups that may or may not support your views.  I have not seen any proposal by people who want a convention that would benefit any of the state's average residents as far as increasing our freedom and liberty, or putting more limits on government overreach.  If anything, the proposals would give the government even greater power to abuse the citizens.  The convention is mostly being supported by leftist groups and Democrats, whereas Republicans, pro-gun groups and conservatives are opposing it.  That should tell you all you need to know.  We need to work on eliminating all of the corruption in Albany before we get into changing the state constitution.

BTW, you will have to look for this on the back of your ballot in order to vote on it.  It will not be where you would expect to see it right away.

Please vote NO!

• Like 3

Thanks for bringing this up, Doc.  Here's an editorial from the NYT, of all places, recommending a NO vote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/opinion/constitutional-convention.html?_r=0

As Rattler pointed out, the problem is that nothing ever comes from it, either good or bad, and it ends up being a giant waste of taxpayer money. It's about political higher-ups having lots of formal dinners and cocktail parties at taxpayer expense. These people are largely ineffective at producing, proposing, or passing even basic legislative changes. Who knows what might happen if they start tinkering with the NYS constitution.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that there are changes to the NYS Constitution that can be made without a convention . I forget how many people would be involved at $79,500 each to spend a year looking for things to change and like mentioned above I wouldn't want the liberal commie pinkos to screw things up any worse than they are now . 

I for one will be voting yes because after reading the state constitution I see some areas for improvement.

The big one for me is the ability to re-write the constitution to restrict term limits and to limit the Governors authority.

Will it ever get done?

Can we trust our elected officials to do the right thing?

I seriously doubt it but at least if it is passed it may get some of them thinking.

I am voting NO until I have proof that the “new” New York State Constitution would  guarantee me the right to bear arms which presently does NOT.  Seeing as New York is overrun with gun control addicts especially from New York City and urban areas I think the default vote is definitely a NO.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/

That being said, I would like to know how Cuomo and his gun control addicts “interpret” of Article 2, Section 4 of the New York Civil Rights Law provides: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.” ?

• Like 1

I'm sure we would all have some little tweaks we would like to see happen to the NYS Constitution. My question is, just who would you like to entrust that to? Would you let those that keep electing Cuomo as Governor, or the same people who put Chuckie Schumer and Gillibrand in as our Senators? Would you trust the authors and supporters of "The Safe Act"? Here in The People's Republic of New York State, in this age and location of liberal mentality just who would you entrust to tinker with this document? Most likely it would be turned from a constitution to a manifesto.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm sure we would all have some little tweaks we would like to see happen to the NYS Constitution. My question is, just who would you like to entrust that to? Would you let those that keep electing Cuomo as Governor, or the same people who put Chuckie Schumer and Gillibrand in as our Senators? Would you trust the authors and supporters of "The Safe Act"? Here in The People's Republic of New York State, in this age and location of liberal mentality just who would you entrust to tinker with this document? Most likely it would be turned from a constitution to a manifesto.

I have been back and forth and back again on this in my head. What you said is where I ended up and couldn't agree more. i will be voting NO.