How many acres do I need?

Looking to buy my first hunting property but will also likely used it recreationally for atvs and snowmobiles. How much land do I really need? I’ll likely do a small food plot and try some other Manangement ideas to attract game.

My extended family owns large acreage tracts so I’m somewhat jaded when it comes to anything less than a large parcel. Presumably people can get some pretty good hunting on a 10-20 acre parcel? 10 seems very small and 20 I’m on the fence with so looking for some first hand experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My initial property was 58 acres. It was a perfect size and layout to do much of anything you want. Was big enough to have 4 of us hunting it. Now 2 years ago I bout 11 acres that border me. If it was just for hunting this piece is it. Just 11 acres but borders a few large tracts that get little pressure. Good luck its always fun to own land....they don't make it anymore! lol

I have 41 acres, but its the right 41 acres. Has everything one would want for hunting i.e..water (stream runs year round), food plots, apple trees, hard mast, pine trees, flat land, hillsides, ridges, deep ditches, sanctuary etc...the key is to get the right property, not necessarily the largest property. Id rather have the right 40 acres as opposed to a mediocre 400 acres.

Habitat.topography. surrounding use is what tells you how big it has to be..

Secondly..atv riding (personally I hate them and don't allow them) you need more acreage to use them without destroying habitat and hunting area..

Third how many people are going to hunt and how often?

I own 13 acres, but hunt the surrounding properties also. We have maybe 50% co-op in some sort of managing. With pretty good results. Anything is possible, maybe approach the neighbors before buying a property to feel them out. OR as others have mentioned if you have the perfect funnel or pinch point on a smalle property that would be good. Or a piece you can build up. 

I learned a few years ago, if I stay out of my cabin on the weekends and just go home at night and drive up for each hunt the deer use my 13 acres  helluva lot more long for the food plots and apple trees, they even bed right in the backyard 40' from house.. This year we stayed out again, and i missed my #1 buck Friday evening @ 5pm ..100 yards from the house. 

you don't need a lot of land for good hunting. it needs to be the right land. I had some of the biggest bucks and most deer i've ever seen on just 5. I think your land requirements will come from your other hobbies, otherwise you're just riding around in circles. I would start with 30 minimum. 

5 good acres is better than 100bad. The land determine what you need. My lease in Ohio is 190 acres and it hunts like 500 because of the way it's cut up. I own a 100acre wood lot 5 minutes from my house and it's hard for 3 guys to bow hunt because you're cutting each other off. With the other activities 20 would be as small as I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find a hunting spot near an ATV club.  Ride on their land, hunt on your own.  Maybe a place near snowmobile trails possibly.   

Pick the right spot near Agriculture and you just put up stands and be quiet.  The smaller the parcel, the more you need to be quiet and have the cabin secluded from the rest of the property.

Personally, I am looking for something near some good canoeing and fishing, like the delaware river.

Variety is the spice of life.  Mixture of elevations, woods, water.   Food plots will attract deer, but if the place is little else than a food plot, they'll be there real early in the season, or they'll just be there late at night.  Cover and seclusion attract deer more in my opinion....  But, when they get out of their beds, they need to eat.

If it has a south facing hill, even better...........

Whatever you go with, leave 2 acres or a bit more completely alone.  Brushy with a little bit of hilltop.  If the spot is not thick, work on making it like that.  Clear cut mature trees and let it brush up, or if it's a young forest area hinge cut then down...   If it's all field leave a section in the middle alone.  Nobody goes in there.   Just like a teenager's bedroom.  No one's gonna be happy if you go in there.........

Edited by sailinghudson25