Seems slow this year so far

nybuckboy

The first peak of the rut has just passed with the full moon. My trail cams and the hot scrapes of last week are all but dead now.  Just spikes and forks... The whitetail breeding nucleus has formed and you are either in feast or famine now. Happens every year. But take heart...it will ramp up again this weekend. The rut ebbs and flows, spikes and drops off. Hunt later in the morning.

Yeah at 8am I rattled for about 90 seconds and about 5 min later I see this nice 8 coming my way. He was out about 125 yds working on a small scrub tree.  The he slow walked parallel with me and i grunted him toward me.  He was looking at a small 6 that I didn't see and they sparred a bit and then walked away.  I could not get him to even stop when I griunted him and even tried to rattle him back to me but nope!

FDirts day I didn't use estrous and the wind would have perfect for him smell it as he approached the other buck. It may have made the difference... who knows.

Edited by nybuckboy