G5 Deadmeat

eagle rider

Personally, I've been using G5 products since I began bow hunting 10 years ago, never had an issue with them and have always done their job well, I don't use the Deadmeat broadhead, rather their Montec CS broadhead, I say give it a try, I hear so many mixed things about Rage...

• Like 1

I used the G5 Montec's  since they came out, so for years. Switched to Rage Hypos last season and had a great kill... didn't go 35 yds and bled out dead. That being said I have would be remiss to say that I really trust the Rage's on a questionable hit.  My son stilll uses only the G5 Montec's.  A fixed blade like the G5's is a much tougher broadhead.

Edited by nybuckboy

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

If you tend to hit shoulder I'd go G5 fixed over rage. My bro switched and just last night put a G5 pass through on shoulder. I still like my rages but if I was gonna change to fixed it would be these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely not the intention.  But I lost a nice deer on a bad shot into his shoulder.  If if does happen again, I want something that is stronger in construction than the Rage.  Basically a tougher built head.  

I like the video here about the BMP. I saw these at field/stream and didn't get why the practice head looked so different. I also love the fact they are not claiming that these broadheads hit like field points. They know they don't, they say this is the best job we have done, we won't lie and claim it hits with a field point like so many others claim.

http://www.g5outdoors.com/deadmeat-broadhead/

I wanted to use montecs on my crossbow but they do not fly well. Large groups significantly off from field tip. I took rage out yesterday because the practice head from rage is hitting very nicely.

Fixed will be best for penetration, which the deadmeat isn't though it should penetrate much better than a rage. Ramcat diamondback also looks interesting to me.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Core said:

I like the video here about the BMP. I saw these at field/stream and didn't get why the practice head looked so different. I also love the fact they are not claiming that these broadheads hit like field points. They know they don't, they say this is the best job we have done, we won't lie and claim it hits with a field point like so many others claim.

http://www.g5outdoors.com/deadmeat-broadhead/

I wanted to use montecs on my crossbow but they do not fly well. Large groups significantly off from field tip. I took rage out yesterday because the practice head from rage is hitting very nicely.

Fixed will be best for penetration, which the deadmeat isn't though it should penetrate much better than a rage. Ramcat diamondback also looks interesting to me.

I shot the BMP tip yesterday out of the Deadeye at 20 yards and again at 25.  6 shots each (3 arrow groups x2).  The BMP grouped inside of the target tips on the other arrows.  I'm thinking it will be within an inch or two.  Probably will work well.  I'll be hunting with Deadmeats in the quiver tomorrow morning.  

• Like 1

I have heard decent things about these heads. I never used them I use to use Muzzy's and they are tough also. Problem is even with these fixed blades the steel isn't all that thick they wil break on bone. if you are looking to bust bone I would go with a heavier one piece head and single bevel. Those kind of heads will cost a little more though. Some good heads that I have used and had awesome experiences with are 3 blade wensel woodsmens and simmons sharks.  

• Like 1

I want to love Montec's but I've shot 4 deer with them in the past and not a single one left a good blood trail even on perfect hits. Granted all deer died within 50 yds but.... Also I had a heck of a time getting a razor sharp edge on them, even with the G5 stone. Every year I consider going back to them but I just can't talk myself into the benefits...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

I want to love Montec's but I've shot 4 deer with them in the past and not a single one left a good blood trail even on perfect hits. Granted all deer died within 50 yds but.... Also I had a heck of a time getting a razor sharp edge on them, even with the G5 stone. Every year I consider going back to them but I just can't talk myself into the benefits...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I haven't had a problem with them or sharpening them. I didn't know they made a special stone for them. I just use a flat diamond honing stone and it get them shaving sharp.  The one bad blood trail I had with mine was totally my fault. I screwed up the shot. I did finally give into the rage crowd and picked them up for the crossbow. I can't wit to see what a 2.3" hole looks like. 

On 11/6/2017 at 12:42 PM, Floorabove said:

I shoot some with the montec 5s, and really like the idea, but recognize better penetration and wound channels from Magnus stingers. 

Im sorry theRage didn't anchor your deer. Lots of people do shoot then though.  

Here is my plan..... at $40 for three Deadmeat heads, I set up one bow with them (Diamond Deadeye) and the other (Diamond Carbon Cure) I left with Rage heads.  But I switched all from the Two Blade to the Chisel Tips.  Seems the CT's do seem to have more gusto in boney spots from everything I read.  I still want to see what the Deadmeats do on deer.  I missed out on a doe Monday morning,  The wind was all over the place and she made me as it was about to be game time for her.  Old long nose girl.  I am wanting to send one through a deer in the worst way.  Getting closer I suppose.  

• Like 1

I have spent a long time playing with a montec on a fine stone getting it as sharp as I can. I can't get them "Gillette razor sharp". I can get them about as sharp as they came from the store (I have some from store unused to compare), which is pretty sharp but not sharp enough to shave with. My Rage 2 might come a touch sharper (and they are massively more difficult to resharpen).

I really don't think it matters. I just don't buy into the idea that if they are pretty sharp but not crazy insane cut your hair sharp that they won't do the same job--that they will "push flesh out of the way instead of cutting it", which doesn't make any sense to me but some people say it. How exactly do the physics work that a broadhead coming through a deer's body at 200+ FPS is doing anything but cutting what is in front of it and, due to slight bluntness, is slipping in between organs that helpfully move out of the way briefly so that the broadhead can get through--that the flesh is "riding up" on the blade similar to trying to slowly cut yourself with a butter knife. Move a blunt butter knife past your hand at 200 FPS and it will slice it. I think the G5 can take an edge as much as is needed. :)

I broke two rage blades on a deer yesterday. They are not that expensive but I bet that the montec would have held up. I just wish they would group well on my xbow!

I wouldn't be so quick to change. Shoulders are a bad area. The right angle and any broadheads can pass through, or any head could be stopped. Smaller caliber rifles can be stopped by a shoulder. Is it more likely to be a better option for rigidity with a fixed... Yes. Do you get better odds with a larger expandable....yes. Marginal shots always happen, no matter the prep, I'm not saying don't switch I'm just saying there's no need too. What happens if you go with a fixed and get same results ?? Just trying to save you a headache. My advise is get whatever your most confident with, as that's half the battle !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Core said:

I have spent a long time playing with a montec on a fine stone getting it as sharp as I can. I can't get them "Gillette razor sharp". I can get them about as sharp as they came from the store (I have some from store unused to compare), which is pretty sharp but not sharp enough to shave with. 

Are you sharpening in a circle or a straight forward push.  take about a 6" section of old arrow and screw the Montec in  so it can be used as a handle. Seems to work better for me and I have had best results with a straight forward push. no draw return and no circles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Are you sharpening in a circle or a straight forward push.  take about a 6" section of old arrow and screw the Montec in  so it can be used as a handle. Seems to work better for me and I have had best results with a straight forward push. no draw return and no circles. 

I think I did circles. I'll try your approach though.

The shoulders are tough regardless of the broadhead used. Asking for a broadhead to hold up after striking a solid mature buck in the shoulder is asking for a lot IMO. I know its not intentional but shoulders are tough, and we are only using sticks and strings to try and pierce them. Im sure its possible. But if it were me, I would shoot the head your most confident with "(regardless of shoulder hits)" and maybe just aim a few inches further back instead, if its a concern. If you liver hit a deer, its dead, just let it lay 6+ hours to be safe. If you shoulder hit a deer, well we know.. 

I know its not ideal, but after losing 2 big bucks to shoulder hits, I aim for the middle/rear of the lungs just to avoid the shoulder, esp on further shots. Dead deer every time. More lungs on one side and liver on the other for room if error. 

G5 Dead Meats, just watched a video from the 2017 ATA Show, they state that they are not considered barbed. But some reviews of these broadheads state them not opening just like people think with the Rages. 

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

The shoulders are tough regardless of the broadhead used. Asking for a broadhead to hold up after striking a solid mature buck in the shoulder is asking for a lot IMO. I know its not intentional but shoulders are tough, and we are only using sticks and strings to try and pierce them. Im sure its possible. But if it were me, I would shoot the head your most confident with "(regardless of shoulder hits)" and maybe just aim a few inches further back instead, if its a concern. If you liver hit a deer, its dead, just let it lay 6+ hours to be safe. If you shoulder hit a deer, well we know.. 

I know its not ideal, but after losing 2 big bucks to shoulder hits, I aim for the middle/rear of the lungs just to avoid the shoulder, esp on further shots. Dead deer every time. More lungs on one side and liver on the other for room if error. 

G5 Dead Meats, just watched a video from the 2017 ATA Show, they state that they are not considered barbed. But some reviews of these broadheads state them not opening just like people think with the Rages. 

The nice thing about the G5 is that if it doesn't open it's essentially just a small fixed. To your point shot placement is so important...if you double-lung with any broadhead the deer is done, and fast, guaranteed.

I only think broadhead really matters if you hit badly. So if you hit shoulder you want something with super penetration (probably a fixed or tiny mechanical). If you hit behind the lungs you want as much cutting as possible because you have nothing to penetrate and want to maximize the non-vitals damage.

The deadmeat looks cool but the price is pretty damn ridiculous. $49 at dicks, $55 on G5's store. For 3 broadheads. 

11 minutes ago, Core said:

The nice thing about the G5 is that if it doesn't open it's essentially just a small fixed. To your point shot placement is so important...if you double-lung with any broadhead the deer is done, and fast, guaranteed.

I only think broadhead really matters if you hit badly. So if you hit shoulder you want something with super penetration (probably a fixed or tiny mechanical). If you hit behind the lungs you want as much cutting as possible because you have nothing to penetrate and want to maximize the non-vitals damage.

The deadmeat looks cool but the price is pretty damn ridiculous. $49 at dicks, $55 on G5's store. For 3 broadheads. 

the only thing I can say Montec's that makes the price point a bit better is I have been able to take 5 deer on a single broadhead. two deer were through a shoulder bone on the off side. spin tested and resharpened and back in the quiver. 

• Like 2

Here is an interesting hillbilly science project.  Same bow, target, arrow, date/time, moon phase, tide, Chinese new year, truck and coffee mug.  Rage 2 blade practice tip vs. G5 Deadmeat ballistic matched tip.  3" deeper penetration for G5.  That is a 29" 340 Easton Nemesis (weighs 494 grs) out of a Diamond Carbon Cure at 65 pounds.  The arrow is 272 fps.  That is 81' lbs.  The Rage is the red vanes and the yellow vanes in the G5.  12% better penetration with the G5!!!!

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_6416.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the only thing I can say Montec's that makes the price point a bit better is I have been able to take 5 deer on a single broadhead. two deer were through a shoulder bone on the off side. spin tested and resharpened and back in the quiver. 

The Montecs are my favorite fixed blade for that reason! I have done the same in years pass. I have put both Rage and Montec through shoulders with out an issue.... yet. For me since they perform near the same, I stick with the bigger cutting heads like the hypos. Always had pass through unless shoulders were hit, then it varied. Have been able to use both numerous times for harvests. IMO both easy good reliable heads. 

Also, Core, what is 5 or 10$ if it makes or breaks a hunt? or should I say,  makes or breaks a harvest or 2 per season, or more?