Why do you hunt?

goosifer

Why do you (currently/continue to) hunt? (Not the same question as why did you start hunting, but probably related.) 

For the meat?
For the sports challenge?
A way of spending time with friends?
A way of bonding with family?
Protecting your crops?
A way to enjoy nature/spend time in the woods?
A way to relax?

Why do YOU hunt?

This might be a bit odd to some, and long winded but its honest..

I hunt because my dad, and I hunt togethor, since I was single digits old, now I'm 31.  Its basically a way of life, and our favorite together hobby....

Also, I enjoy the meat, and love the way it connects you to your food.  It is just rewarding to me, to know I provided the meat.  

Lastly, I love being in the woods experiencing the woods at it natural state.  I find it amazing, and fascinating to see what is in the woods, knowing a huge 10 pointer lives where you walk in daylight,  whefe you NEVER EVER catch a glimpse of him, is fascinating to me.  Just like the bears, and MONSTER bucks, even coyotes....I am fascinated the point I cannot describe,  how such animals can get so big, and/or old, and rarly if EVER seen, while sharing the area you live in.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 3

I hunt and will continue to hunt for as long as I physically can because it is something that will always connect me  to my dad who recently passed away. This opening gun season will be the first without my pops and probably the hardest since I started hunting with him since I was a kid. Hunting has given me some great memories with him that I will cherish forever. I also enjoy being in the woods and find it very peaceful and relaxing away from everyday craziness. Plus my wife makes a pretty good venison stew that my daughter and I love.

• Like 2

Enjoy the meat but now its the thrill of beating the smartest animal in the woods on its term's. Enjoy the woods .peacefulness and fun at camp but the hunting itself takes more than just killing any deer as that is a pretty simple task at any season but to only find,hunt and harvest a mature buck is only what the real hunt is about.

I am a creature of nature that has a place in the food chain. I also have the genetic nature of a predator that enjoys the chase. I also enjoy the knowledge that I can have a part in maintaining myself and my family through my own efforts. There is an element of self-sufficiency involved in getting my own food. There is also a cultural, historical, and heritage aspect to existing in nature and gathering food from the environment as our ancestors did. I also think that given the location of where I was raised, and the fact that hunting was a treasured recreational act of that era by all friends, relatives and associates, there was a social aspect to hunting.

All of these features taken together forced me to be a hunter. I don't think it ever really was a choice.

• Like 2

I love being outdoors.....I love the woods.....I love hanging with hunting buddies and telling stories....I love watching the woods wakeup. ..but there is nothing that even comes close to those precious few moments, when your blood is pumping, your knees are knocking and you think it is all going to come together......That's why I hunt!!!

• Like 1