What bow release do you use for your compound?

I am not sure if this is an already existed thread but it is, what it is.

A buddy has a T bar style release, that releases as you pull harder.... not sure what this style is called.

He said it was about $200....I believe in paying for quality products, and you get what you pay for, more than not.  The issue is, I feel I cannot justify $200 for something I honestly don't use often at all.  I don't practice near enough, and I don't see enough deer each year to even get a chance to make a shot.

I find my wrist strap release to make noise, because I tend to forget its there, out of force of habit.

What type do you use?

I am not sure if this is an already existed thread but it is, what it is.

A buddy has a T bar style release, that releases as you pull harder.... not sure what this style is called.

He said it was about $200....I believe in paying for quality products, and you get what you pay for, more than not.  The issue is, I feel I cannot justify $200 for something I honestly don't use often at all.  I don't practice near enough, and I don't see enough deer each year to even get a chance to make a shot.

I find my wrist strap release to make noise, because I tend to forget its there, out of force of habit.

What type do you use?

I think the t bar is called a back tension release. I use a tru-fire hook release. They are about $100. Wrist strap but you can fold the release back when you are not shooting so it's not clanking around everywhere. I find the hook release to be a lot smoother than the regular clip or caliper. Whatever it is called

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a couple Tru Ball wrist strap releases. Mine are pretty old; I think I got my first one in 1999, the other was given to me by my uncle (similar vintage) as he didn't like it.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying something different at some point.

Edited by Lawdwaz

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I use a Stan SX-3 thumb release, they're $200 but I do shoot leagues and whatnot so it sees a lot of action. I'm never going back to a wrist strap for hunting

After the season I’d like to see that release......

$40 (?) tru-ball trigger release. I like the wrist strap actually and I tend to pull back the bulk of the bow's weight simply by my wrist, often not grabbing the release at all.

I feel  like I could very slightly increase accuracy with a thumb release but I've never tried one and I'm still thousands of arrows away from the truball wearing out, it seems. If there is an increase in accuracy it would only be relevant at the range and not enough to matter at hunting distances.

I also use a Tru Ball wrist strap release.  Can't remember the model but it's one of the few that has a velcro strap instead of the buckle.  I always find that I'm inbetween holes of a buckle which is why I prefer the velcro.  Allows me to adjust to the exact size/comfort I want.  Been toying with the idea of going with the 3 finger release for several seasons now.

i used a TRU Ball Beast II wrist buckle strap release.  i won't drop it or feel bad if it breaks.  if i do drop it, it won't likely break like high end releases i also have with polished sears. I have (2) $200+ Stan Shootoff releases i use with certain bow setups (backup hunting/outdoor 3D).  they're indentical but one's black out version.  the other is chrome and not as ideal for hunting.

8 hours ago, NonTypical said:

guess I'm old school. After all of these years I still shoot a Free Flight release. It's a glove style. And I have it slightly modified so that it is a hook and I can shoot it with a D loop. 

free flight.jpg

I absolutely love mine. No Gloves, light gloves, heavy gloves, it doesn't matter. The do make one just for loop shooters

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve D said:

free flight.jpg

I absolutely love mine. No Gloves, light gloves, heavy gloves, it doesn't matter. The do make one just for loop shooters

Yes they do. But it is a solid piece that doesn't swivel at all. So what I did was grind down the skinny piece that's on the top in the photo above on a belt sander. It came out exactly like the one made for loop shooters, but still swivels slightly.