Rage hypodermic

Cattcounty

check your screws that hold the blades. My buddy uses these and he was telling me a story last night about these.He said he got in the tree and there was a strange rattle in his gear. It turned out to be the screw was gone. Double check everything.

11 hours ago, vizslas said:

check your screws that hold the blades. My buddy uses these and he was telling me a story last night about these.He said he got in the tree and there was a strange rattle in his gear. It turned out to be the screw was gone. Double check everything.

Thanks I will do that

11 hours ago, vizslas said:

My rage chisel tip came with one so loose it literally fell apart in my hands out of the package. Thank God I had the very small allen key needed to tighten. I'm currently running the rage chisel tip on my crossbow. I attribute the very significant entry wound from the two inches cutting surface to my ability to recover a deer a few weeks back on a dubious shot that resulted in virtually no blood trail (would have been less without the entry). 

i just went over my entire crossbow yesterday. I ended up using blue lock tight on the crank handle. I used the red locktight on the ram rod holders for my muzzleloader. Lost the one at the front of the gun and now the replacement worked itself loose.  Be mindful of yourloose screws. hahaha

3 hours ago, TurtleFace said:

From what ive gathered between reading posts and watching videos, the hypo points often don't survive their impact, meanwhile the chisel tips can be cleaned up enough to make another kill

Just about anything will do the job if tuned and shot with confidence. witch means range time with hunting arrows. Get three packs one for the hunt , one for the range and one pack for the times when you say well this ones shot.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I hope to be able to answer this question tomorrow morning..............

I still can't help you......

BUT, I know two guys well that have killed plenty of deer the last 7-8 years with Rage heads and one of those guys is the one who swayed me to give them a try.  Lots of DMAP deer have fallen to Rage heads and I trust their judgement. 

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I still can't help you......

BUT, I know two guys well that have killed plenty of deer the last 7-8 years with Rage heads and one of those guys is the one who swayed me to give them a try.  Lots of DMAP deer have fallen to Rage heads and I trust their judgement. 

I have killed deer with the chisel tip and they worked good. I'm glad I tried the hypodermic because it worked even better. I agree with ya about trusting rage broadheads. I will continue to use them

1 hour ago, eagle rider said:

You should think about a tougher built head.  Ask me about my 130" ten that didn't tun out so well some time.  

Every broadhead has a similar story. Muzzy, one of the so called tuffest heads have failed with broken blades and bent shaft.  

Sorry, but IMO 90% of these ”my broadhead failed” is due to a bad hit.  Hit a deer square in the shoulder joint, or another big heavy bone and any head can fail.  

I've never had a rage head break or bend yet. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

Every broadhead has a similar story. Muzzy, one of the so called tuffest heads have failed with broken blades and bent shaft.  

Sorry, but IMO 90% of these ”my broadhead failed” is due to a bad hit.  Hit a deer square in the shoulder joint, or another big heavy bone and any head can fail.  

I've never had a rage head break or bend yet. 

That's great, I did and my hit was totally in heavy bone.  That is on me.  BUT I shoot a 490 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow that is IBO 340.  The shot was 10 yrads and it wasn't a blade deploy issue, the ferrule itself fractured/fragmented.  They fly like darts and and kill great when all the planets are aligned right (like everything else on the market).  But that small percentage of time when you really need them to work and they don't its not good a thing.  Just saying'....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

That's great, I did and my hit was totally in heavy bone.  That is on me.  BUT I shoot a 490 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow that is IBO 340.  The shot was 10 yrads and it wasn't a blade deploy issue, the ferrule itself fractured/fragmented.  They fly like darts and and kill great when all the planets are aligned right (like everything else on the market).  But that small percentage of time when you really need them to work and they don't its not good a thing.  Just saying'....

With that much energy, I doubt another broadhead would have stayed together.

I butchered hundreds of deer.. found all types of heads encaced in the shoulder joint, spine, neck.  Even shot a buck many yrs ago that had a 30” arrow sticking out the side of his head.  It was chasing does in a field.  

• Like 1

Rage is a great head. That's why they are popular. I use the extremes for the compound and Xbow. No complaints. As already stated, all heads will have good and bad story's. You practice enough and prepare to only take a good shot at the right time and you could kill with a field tip.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I shot rockets before I went to rage, and I had people tell me that the rockets were junk. I did lose a nice buck with a rocket broad head but it wasn't the best shot in the world either. All the other times I never had an issue with them. I switched because of the bigger wounds the rage heads make. I totally agree it's all about shot placement. If you don't hit vitals the outcome will probably not be good no matter what broad head

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cattcounty said:

I shot rockets before I went to rage, and I had people tell me that the rockets were junk. I did lose a nice buck with a rocket broad head but it wasn't the best shot in the world either. All the other times I never had an issue with them. I switched because of the bigger wounds the rage heads make. I totally agree it's all about shot placement. If you don't hit vitals the outcome will probably not be good no matter what broad head

great vitals where I shot,..... just have an inch thick bone over the top of them......

55 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

great vitals where I shot,..... just have an inch thick bone over the top of them......

I agree there's great vitals behind that 1" thick bone. Doesn't mean it was a great shot or a spot you want to aim for.  

Seen many shoulders stop a 150 gr 270 or a 220 gr '06.  

All's my saying is don't put the blame squarely on the Rage BH and suggest a different more robust head would have had a different outcome. 

Biggest thing is be confident in what your shooting, and make a great shot every time. Easier said than done is the catch.  

Edited by mowin

I agree there's great vitals behind that 1" thick bone. Doesn't mean it was a great shot or a spot you want to aim for.  
Seen many shoulders stop a 150 gr 270 or a 220 gr '06.  
All's my saying is don't put the blame squarely on the Rage BH and suggest a different more robust head would have had a different outcome. 
Biggest thing is be confident in what your shooting, and make a great shot every time. Easier said than done is the catch.  

I don’t blame the head for failure. Im pissed that the head fell to pieces. The archery industry will post videos of board head shots going though steel drums. 3/4” sheets of plywood and even moose shoulders wrapped in deer hide. Truth is it is all crap. My bad shot was my fault. The components of the head and their construction is on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I used to use the original rage. I had a couple issues. One deer I hit bone from very close and no penetration. That happens. But last year I lunged a deer. I tracked that deer for a long ways and then lost blood and never found the deer. I switched to the hypodermics this year and so far I'm 1 for 1. They made a huge entrance hole. And cut through the whole way. Deer ran fifty yards. Now I know, the issues I've had have more to do with the shot and the hunter than the broad head, but I do believe the hypodermic's technology allows it to open faster and do more damage. IMO

I killed a couple with hypodermics and the wound is huge. Great blood trails. Only thing is they are ridiculously expensive. I did some research on the knockoff hypodermics and all the tests ive seen show they work the exactly the same. I just bought 24 on eBay for 25.99

I will test 4 or 5 to make sure they fly right and open before using them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk