The Reminder Buck

moog5050

Congrats on the choice and the buck,although this buck makes you look big,not the other way around. 

It is good to re-examine ones attitude once in a while,and there are so many variations of what makes people happy. We all should enjoy hunting the way we want to. It is a journey,and I haven't shot a two year old buck yet,so I made that my goal this year. I would prefer a 3 year old,but hey,i am not that picky yet.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words folks.  Just a little confessional for me.  I probably will be back focusing on the 3plus year olds.  It's my preference.  But I really did want to affirm something even if only to myself. Gotta keep the right perspective and keep it fun.  I won't hear the end of it from my hunting partners but I think they know I shot it for my own reasons.  And butchering it up, the meat looks just fine!

• Like 8

well said..i have a few friends that need to read your post.. to worked up about getting a big buck.. become crank miserable bastards that a candy bar wont help.. enjoyment 1st and foremost is key. Do  that and everything will fall into place when it feels like work your doing something wrong.

• Like 10

Oh i forgot to mention the recovery.  Shot him hard quartering away and while we thought it was a liver shot, we tracked too soon in a rush and bumped him into the neighboring park where hunting is prohibited.   He went a long ways.  I recovered him this morning lying literally in the lawn in front of the parks maintenance garage,  I had some explaining to do to the Sheriffs called by the park.  When Phade showed them on onyx maps where we hunt, they were cool about it.  Didn't hurt that they were a bit busy arresting a guy caught poaching in the park, like parked on the park road with his deer carrier.   Not exactly the brightest bulb.  All around unexpected season.  Lol

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats on the buck. Every situation is different. In the last 5 years or so, I try to hold out for older/bigger bucks but in 2012 I passed a 4pt on opening morning and was kicking myself afterwards, well he came back so I shot him. Typically on Thanksgiving, I will shoot any buck if I still have a tag. I have only killed 1 TG buck, but it's cool nonetheless to change your approach from time to time. The luxury of NY is that you get 2 buck tags and you get them every year. In other states that have better hunting, you may only get 1 tag, or in some cases only 1 tag every few years. Again, congrats!

PS - for fun, take a tape to this guy and tell us what he scores!

I will guess 70-75 inches but will measure him.   He is like 1/2 of a wall hanger.  Lol

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I will guess 70-75 inches but will measure him.   He is like 1/2 of a wall hanger.  Lol

Just get another like that and have them both mounted then you have like 140" deer on your wall. No one needs to know it's 2 deer at least until they see them. haha Having my son ask me everytime I walk in the door, "Deer?" and seeing him look at me funny when I say i couldn't shoot him. "Why no shoot?" I'm just saving them for him.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Congrats buddy!

Sometimes it just feels good to do something different than you normally would.

I'd imagine shooting big bucks year after year has gotta get pretty boring at times! ;)

Great to see you recognize something wasn't setting well with you and attempting to fix it before it got out of control!

Seriously..., great job man! Now don't disappoint us with that regular season promise!

• Like 1

For me its about the sharing of the harvest. Moog you do things your way because it makes you happy. Nothing wrong with that.Keep the faith brother.Realizing your what you were feeling was not one of your shining moments was a step on the path to goodness. Mankind does have a future.

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

This is my sixth season hunting and over the past 5 I have been blessed to shoot a handful of very nice bucks.  Primarily because I was fortunate to be mentored early on by Phade and I am fortunate to have some really good properties to hunt.  

Anyways, as this season approached, I was a intent on shooting another pope and young.  In fact, I promised myself I would draw on nothing less.  Frankly, reflecting on my approach, I realize I was becoming obsessive, arrogant and greedy. And this really all hit me last Saturday when I invited a newer hunter out and he shot a nice 2yr 11pt. While I was happy for him and showed excitement, in the back of my mind I was thinking that would be a great buck in a year or two.  I wished he had shot something else.  

That night it really really bothered me that I even had that thought. He was on cloud nine.  It was selfish and wrong.  I was really upset with myself.  I realized that my attitude towards hunting was taking a bad turn and it had to be corrected.   There is nothing wrong with trying to shoot a monster and I plan to continue to do so, but I also want to be sure to maintain the right perspective, remain humble and be selfless.  

So yesterday afternoon, despite having passed better bucks this season and knowing that I had some big boys roaming, I decided to shoot this little guy to prove to myself hunting is not all about getting MY BIG BUCK!   It was fun as he busted me but I still was able to close the deal. I know some may not understand, but this was the right buck for me this season.  He will be a reminder for years to come regarding the proper attitude.  

As I said, I will continue to strive to shoot the big boys, but I won't forget what's really important when doing so.   So with that said, here is THE REMINDER BUCK.  He won't make ant book or even the wall but he may be even more meaningful.

Hope you all have a great season.  I am off to chase does and watch the big boys I may get a crack at in regular season.  

IMG_1278.JPG

You got my vote for post of the year so far.  The weather is almost perfect for hanging now.  If you let that carcass hang in the garage for a week or so, with the hide on (after pulling the tenderloins), the butterfly chops made from the backstraps, will melt in your mouth.  You might never want to use a buck tag on a pope & young again after that.    

It takes a big man or woman to take a good look at themselves and not like what they see. With deer hunting it is easy to fall into the snob trap. We have plenty right on this site. I have been in your exact shoes about 10 years ago with a two year old 10 that i had let walk a bunch of times, only to be shot by a buddy. I kept my mouth shut and put on a happy face, but it truthfully ruined my whole season. At least you came to grips quick. I let it cost me the rest of the season.

In the off season, my buddy called me to come see his mount. He was so proud of that deer and it made me feel like a total ass being mad about him shooting it. It made me turn a new leaf over when it came to deer hunting. No longer do I worry about what people shoot, what they shoot it with, or anything else. It was a great reminder that contrary to a lot of opinions on here, most deer hunters are happy to have a place to hunt, and will gladly shoot the first buck they see, and they will be happy as hell to get it. Throw in a doe or two and their season was an overwhelming success to be talked about all year.

Hunters like us, that let bucks walk all the time,  tend to forget that a lot of hunters have never seen a 16 inch wide 8 point while hunting, and they are for sure going to shoot it thinking it is a monster, and for them it will be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and if they shoot it on your land, you can bet your ass they will never forget it, or the people involved.

I spend my time now mentoring youths and new hunters during rifle season. I still chase the bigger bucks with bow, but it really seems like I have the most fun helping others get their first deer. It is amazing to me the number of young girls that want to hunt and just need someone to help them out.

Thanks for the post Moog. It gets people thinking.

• Like 10

Thats cool man. I am.not a trophy hunter by any means I have exactly 1 buck on the wall and I am in no hurry to have any join it. The deer all mean something to me wether its the encounter was different or the people I went out with that day or just the spot i was sitting in means something I can honestly say I can walk to every hit and recovery spot of every deer I have ever shot within 100 yards or less (i have shot 27 deer in 12 years). I understand the thrill of the big bucks and give guys who let the little ones grow credit and am thankful I still get to make my own decision.

I think Fred Bear said that (didn't look up exact quote) if you measure your success in inches you should have been a yardstick maker.

Glad to see that you knew that's not what you wanted it to be about and made a choice to get back to the basics. I hope you lay the hammer down on a giant in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of the best traits a person can have is the ability to be honest with themselves. For if you cannot be honest with yourself, you can never be truly honest with others.  You my friend, have found the key to happiness. 

Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot. I think you just shot your Greatest Trophy! The deer of a lifetime. A Heartfelt Congratulations!

Thank you for the honesty. :friends:

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

You, my friend are a better man than most to admit your follies! Great sermon on how NOT to be judgemental before you actually look into the mirror. Kudos!! My vote for "Best harvest of 2017"!

If someone replays a hunting experience to me and is happy about their harvest, I'm happy for them too! Regardless if it was 60#, 150" or a BB taken on an adjacent property. It should be all about the experience & encounter rather than any bragging rights.

One of my top-5 most memorable hunts was also shared on this forum several years ago, the pee buck. Super exciting, adrenaline charge encounter, a perfect shot and he went down twice within sight & 40yrds from my stand, a 6pt buck. On the other end of the spectrum, I've shot nice mature bucks that were leisurely strolling in front of me, oblivious of their surroundings and stood broadside at 20-25yrds. Kind of anti-climatic once I got my  hands on them!! JMO, it's about the experience, not the excitement of fondling or bragging about big racks.

• Like 1