Hang On Treestand Question

Lawdwaz

99 percent of my hang on tree stand experience has been with Screeming Eagle hang on stands.  I’ve been thrilled with them and am pondering an order. At this point they wouldn’t be for this season but would order while I’m thinking about it. 

What is your go-to hang on stand?  

most of my hang ons are comfort zones I believe ( bought piles of them after season sales at dicks sporting goods)   They are ok, padded seat decent platform wide anchor strap and a base strap, I would guess I have probably 25 of them.

I have 15 or 20 loggy bayou cheap seats, they are small, low seat, lightweight and small platform, but they nestle into multi truck trees nicely.

we have 10 or 12 chain hang on stands that I can not recall the name, the platform is ok size, the seat is ok, but I just don't care for the chain style and I always make sure there is a limb or burl/knot on the back side of the tree to have the chain above and I add a platform strap to help stabilize the platform.

My favorites in order:

Muddy - Big platform, love the adjustable tilt feature to make them dead level even on a not completely straight tree.

Gorilla - It really sucks they dont make them anymore, awesome wide platform, they were affordable and last forever.

Millenium - comfortable seat, but I hate the more narrow foot platform and they are pricey.

Rivers Edge - Great platform size, seat squeaks sometimes, seat will not flip all the way up with pad installed. Very comfortable with seat down, relatively inexpensive.

Comfort Zone - Cheap, not the most comfortable, quiet.

Least favorite:

Big Game - every single one I own squeaks no matter what I do.

Im thinking of picking up a Hawk to give them a try next season. Lone Wolf stands are great, but out of my price range. 

1st api baby grand.. Largest platform that was available

2nd loggy bayou hang on.. Long play form with cables in outside

3rd gorilla only steel stand I like.. 

Sadly i dont think any of them are made anymore.. Good thing I have 30 or so and just keep them up with maintanence.

• Like 1

Here are the dimensions of the SE stand.......

"Original Screaming Eagle Stand: ($151.95-$144.95)

A tree stand must be...SAFE, STABLE, STRONG and QUIET!  We will personally guarantee you that no tree stand made is safer, more stable, stronger or quieter.

SAFE:  If your stand fails you, you could die or be paralyzed.

STABLE: If your stand moves, you could miss your shot, and/or lose your balance and fall.

STRONG:  Our stand is the stongest stand in the world.  Try hanging a car from any other.  Note that our stand has no human weight limit.

QUIET:  For that Boone and Crockett Whitetail, this is the critical factor.  If the stand squeaks or creaks when you move to shoot, it's all over.  

Our stand is totally quiet...ALWAYS!!

Specifications:

Weight: 14 pounds.  Seat height: 25".  Platform is 25" wide and 24" deep.  Welded, unpainted steel.  Five feet of chain is included along with installation instructions." 

Some of the stands mentioned seem nice.  I need that 25" seat height and am surely used to the platform size size.  Also, the seat and platform fold up (and stay!) while your gone, leaving a somewhat small footprint for wannabee robbers. 

I appreciate all the responses but I think I'll probably just place an order at some point.  I don't know how many I'd take but probably 4.....there is a price break on orders over 6 and IIRC it brings the price down (the stand with the bigger seat, and yes they are nice sized) to around $120 each.  I'm waiting to hear on what the shipping would be. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

• 5 months later...

I have lonewolf and summit and both have their place. summit is 100x more comfortable but lonewolf allows for a few more angles. I will gladly make a bet that I can climb a tree 25 yards away from you in the dark and you wouldn't know what stand I was climbing with. it is very important to get very well acquainted with your equipment and be able to use it to the best of both it's and your own abilities.

Speaking of millennium does anyone know where to get new straps for them? I've had mine strapped into the same trees for a few seasons now and I think its time to change the straps. Is my only option going to be going to their customer service dept?

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

You can get ratcheting straps about anywhere. I usually pick them up at Harbor freight because they  have a good selection and are relatively inexpensive. Even if they don't have exactly what you are looking for in length etc. they can always be modified to fit your needs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Speaking of millennium does anyone know where to get new straps for them? I've had mine strapped into the same trees for a few seasons now and I think its time to change the straps. Is my only option going to be going to their customer service dept?

What straps? Mine uses a chain on bracket to attach to the tree. I use a regular ratchet strap to hold the bottom of the stand to the tree.

What straps? Mine uses a chain on bracket to attach to the tree. I use a regular ratchet strap to hold the bottom of the stand to the tree.
I have the m150 they loop around two rod things at the platform and then wrap into the tree and ratchet tight

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

I have the m150 they loop around two rod things at the platform and then wrap into the tree and ratchet tight

Gotcha. In that case, just use regular ratchet straps, thats how I set most of my stands. Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply are where I get mine, they have the best prices.

Gotcha. In that case, just use regular ratchet straps, thats how I set most of my stands. Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply are where I get mine, they have the best prices.
Not a bad idea. Those bottoms straps are only to keep the base locked to the tree anyways. May wind up cutting them down when i go turkey hunting then rehang them in september

• Like 1

Another one for the Lone Wolf Alpha... it adjusts level for both platform and seat. light for it's size.  i've never had it make any noise.  cast platform and design is no slip and doesn't hold any ice or weather. platform is large with lots of room and then you lift the seat that stays put making the platform huge (30"x19.5").  the straps work alright but i much prefer to use ratchet straps and crank it right down. you just can't get the stock pull tight straps tight enough. also i've got some awesome sets that use a pretty big tree.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, moog5050 said:

For no particular reason, we tend to buy straps by the dozen at tractor supply.  Rotate replacing them every few years.

Check out Ratchet straps. You can customize length, #'s, hooks, and ratchets. I get a couple dozen every few years. Way better quality than TS, etc.

• Like 3