Deep Woods Preparedness

Salmon_Run

26 minutes ago, TACC said:

Please tell this app that does not need service

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

The one I like to use is called  GPS Essentials it tracks and recordes your every move .

There are a whole bunch of them besides that one that do the same thing I have not got around to trying them all .

That one has never let me down been  using it for years

Here some screen shots where I was at had no cell service but it still plots your course no cell service needed

2017_12_28_21.45.52.png

2017_12_28_21.45.00.png

Edited by Storm914

10 minutes ago, TACC said:

Just downloaded it, gonna give it a try, thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Us the tracks feature and your good to go plots a line  of every move you make in the woods  and your direction . O and make sure your GPS feature on your phone is on or it will not track anything 

Edited by Storm914

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 8:47 PM, Storm914 said:

Gps devices  are really obsolete in my opinion

Every good smartphone has gps technology  built in and there are like 100 or more apps that work with it you don't need cell service either for them to work if you know which app to get .

Until they build a smart phone that is waterproof, dustproof and shock-resistant to the same standards as something like Garmin units, I don't see them replacing dedicated GPS units.

Also, I do think that the GPS signal capabilities is a bit more developed on a something like a Garmin or Delorme versus your average smart phone.  I bring my cell phone into the field as a backup; I certainly don't rely on it as my only means of electronic navigation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Until they build a smart phone that is waterproof, dustproof and shock-resistant to the same standards as something like Garmin units, I don't see them replacing dedicated GPS units.

Also, I do think that the GPS signal capabilities is a bit more developed on a something like a Garmin or Delorme versus your average smart phone.  I bring my cell phone into the field as a backup; I certainly don't rely on it as my only means of electronic navigation.  

Its probably the other way around People use there cell phones everyday how many break? They are made to be used more , If you want even more protection  just get a good case for it . That is water and shock proof . I go swimming in salt water with mine how much more water proof do you need then that ?

Your gps more then likely is not made for that kind of long term  abuse.

Plus cell phones now  there smaller and more compact how much crap do you really want to carry with you. A backup would be a compass .

On 1/13/2018 at 4:14 AM, Storm914 said:

Its probably the other way around People use there cell phones everyday how many break? They are made to be used more , If you want even more protection  just get a good case for it . That is water and shock proof . I go swimming in salt water with mine how much more water proof do you need then that ?

Your gps more then likely is not made for that kind of long term  abuse.

Plus cell phones now  there smaller and more compact how much crap do you really want to carry with you. A backup would be a compass .

The cellphones of today are better than those of yesterday, but still they are somewhat fragile compared to dedicated GPS units.  Protective cases can help, but if they fail, the phone is screwed.

My Garmin Inreach is without a doubt far more robust than my iphone; I've dropped that thing in water, dropped it on the ground, let it get dirty and muddy, throw it in the bottom of my pack without thinking twice...I wouldn't even consider subjecting my phone to the same abuse.

And again, I really don't think the GPS units on these phones, as good as they are, are as accurate or reliable as the something in a Garmin unit.  

Have you tried using your phone to navigate through ADK wilderness, in areas without cell coverage?  I have; the phone doesn't work in that type of terrain, my Garmin Inreach does.

• Like 1

Hiking in the High Peaks wilderness, I've used the Backcountry Navigator app with my Samsung phone.  Unlike the iphones, I can switch on the airplane mode and still use the GPS.  This was important because otherwise the phone would be constantly searching for a tower and draining the battery.  A dedicated gps wouldn't have this issue.

For my purposes (hiking and backpacking), a compass and map plus my cell has kept me from getting lost.  Reviewing the area I'm targeting ahead of time and marking various waypoints and terrain features have proven to be best practices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padre86 said:

The cellphones of today are better than those of yesterday, but still they are somewhat fragile compared to dedicated GPS units.  Protective cases can help, but if they fail, the phone is screwed.

My Garmin Inreach is without a doubt far more robust than my iphone; I've dropped that thing in water, dropped it on the ground, let it get dirty and muddy, throw it in the bottom of my pack without thinking twice...I wouldn't even consider subjecting my phone to the same abuse.

And again, I really don't think the GPS units on these phones, as good as they are, are as accurate or reliable as the something in a Garmin unit.  

Have you tried using your phone to navigate through ADK wilderness, in areas without cell coverage?  I have; the phone doesn't work in that type of terrain, my Garmin Inreach does.

Yes it works all the same I have the Samsung 7  I also used it over the Atlantic Ocean to Europe and on cruises to the Caribbean it worked even at 30,000 feet and in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean .

The  technology in these phones is incredible.

I mean if you already have a good GPS  not saying don't use it just saying if you don't , and have a high end cell phone you don't need  A exstra gps .

The ones on the new phones are incredible 

Here is a screen shot of the track 2018_01_14_19_12_47.thumb.png.d395cc2b6cfa976e0b3f777e4fb0c9dd.png

Edited by Storm914

I don't carry my phone while hunting the big woods, probably should but I usually don't have service anyways. Compass in my pocket and clipped to my shirt map in my pocket and a gps in my vest. Have never turned my gps on in the woods as I haven't needed it yet but it's there for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't carry my phone while hunting the big woods, probably should but I usually don't have service anyways. Compass in my pocket and clipped to my shirt map in my pocket and a gps in my vest. Have never turned my gps on in the woods as I haven't needed it yet but it's there for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really you don't at least leave it in your truck at the parking lot ?

19 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Yes it works all the same I have the Samsung 7  I also used it over the Atlantic Ocean to Europe and on cruises to the Caribbean it worked even at 30,000 feet and in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean .

The  technology in these phones is incredible.

I mean if you already have a good GPS  not saying don't use it just saying if you don't , and have a high end cell phone you don't need  A exstra gps .

The ones on the new phones are incredible 

Here is a screen shot of the track 2018_01_14_19_12_47.thumb.png.d395cc2b6cfa976e0b3f777e4fb0c9dd.png

Maybe the Samsung is different from the iphone then, because I've tried to get a GPS signal on my phone in the middle of ADK wilderness and it didn't work.  

GPS accuracy aside, I don't think any mobile phone on the market, including the Samsung 7 is anywhere close to an outdoor GPS in terms of reliability and robustness.  Using your phone on a plane is one thing; using your phone in -20 weather or pouring rain is something else all together.  I personally would not rely on a phone to navigate in the deep woods, especially on an extended trip.

47 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

Maybe the Samsung is different from the iphone then, because I've tried to get a GPS signal on my phone in the middle of ADK wilderness and it didn't work.  

GPS accuracy aside, I don't think any mobile phone on the market, including the Samsung 7 is anywhere close to an outdoor GPS in terms of reliability and robustness.  Using your phone on a plane is one thing; using your phone in -20 weather or pouring rain is something else all together.  I personally would not rely on a phone to navigate in the deep woods, especially on an extended trip.

I was out this morning using my phone GPS it was 0 out worked fine and there is no cell service where I was at  can't speak for the iPhone could be something to do with the settings of the phone or the app you are running on it .

I would ask  a Apple expert about that if I were you.  Knowing Apple they  probably want you to buy some special app from them to get the GPS to work right on it 

All I know that on Samsung 6 and now my 7 the thing works always every place I go even used it  out  west a   while back and hiking in the alps  Italy France Greece Croatia Caribbean Canada . In a plane at altitude on a boat in the ocean . 

How accurate is your GPS my phone will get me with in 10 or 20 feet of something .

I read that these  news ones on phones   are down to a foot 

Mine could be that accurate  probably but  to save the battery I have it set to normal settings . Don't really need it to be more then 10/20 feet of anything 

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/608920/your-next-phones-gps-is-going-to-be-way-more-accurate/

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Showing my ignorance here. I thought all cell phones/smart phones gave you your GPS location based on triangulation of cell phone towers which "convert" to Lat/Lon.

So no cell signal, no GPS location. Is that correct?

I mean, the phones don't acquire satellites like my car GPS does, right?

new phones have GPS  a real gps transmitter it Works with or with out  cell towers 

They also have a built in compass and orientation Sensors built in .

A good  GPS software on a good phone can use both  both GPS cell towers and even Wi-Fi to get your locations it can work on (GPS alone )or in combination with the others to get even more accuracy 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

The tragic story of hiker Kate Matrosova, who died attempting Mt. Washington in 2015, highlights some of the problems and limitations with technology in the wild.  Suffice to say the terrain and even shadows can play tricks with the signal.  Other factors like weather and temperature can affect your device(s) as well.  Your best bet is to carry multiple systems, including a map & compass, for navigation in the big woods.

Kate Mastrosova

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

The tragic story of hiker Kate Matrosova, who died attempting Mt. Washington in 2015, highlights some of the problems and limitations with technology in the wild.  Suffice to say the terrain and even shadows can play tricks with the signal.  Other factors like weather and temperature can affect your device(s) as well.  Your best bet is to carry multiple systems, including a map & compass, for navigation in the big woods.

Kate Mastrosova

With any technology you have to know how it works good before using it . Same with a map and compass.  Bad idea to try learning navigation techniques  first time in the big woods 

56 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

With any technology you have to know how it works good before using it . Same with a map and compass.  Bad idea to try learning navigation techniques  first time in the big woods 

I agree a person needs to be competent with the tools, but you lost me on how that applied to the story?  Kate was an accomplished hiker; however, she underestimated the risks of the severe weather that day.  The woods played serious tricks with her SPOT device which delayed the rescuers by 14 hours or so due to multiple false signals.

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

I agree a person needs to be competent with the tools, but you lost me on how that applied to the story?  Kate was an accomplished hiker; however, she underestimated the risks of the severe weather that day.  The woods played serious tricks with her SPOT device which delayed the rescuers by 14 hours or so due to multiple false signals.

A  new cell phone actually has multiple sensors . 

Not sure what her story has to do with smart phone technology?  a story of someone getting lost because of a cell phone GPS malfunctioning  would be relevant  . What happen to her  was a different device altogether not relevant to what  we  are  talking about.

So I'm not sure what point your making? 

Want a plane to find you with out a good single light a fire .

Oldest trick in the book .

But in bad weather chances are you will have to wait for them to rescue you .

Does not really matter what you have .

Is that the point you are making you can get screwed by the weather ? Or have a backup like a compass?

If yes I agree 

Edited by Storm914

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I was out this morning using my phone GPS it was 0 out worked fine and there is no cell service where I was at  can't speak for the iPhone could be something to do with the settings of the phone or the app you are running on it .

I would ask  a Apple expert about that if I were you.  Knowing Apple they  probably want you to buy some special app from them to get the GPS to work right on it 

All I know that on Samsung 6 and now my 7 the thing works always every place I go even used it  out  west a   while back and hiking in the alps  Italy France Greece Croatia Caribbean Canada . In a plane at altitude on a boat in the ocean . 

How accurate is your GPS my phone will get me with in 10 or 20 feet of something .

I read that these  news ones on phones   are down to a foot 

Mine could be that accurate  probably but  to save the battery I have it set to normal settings . Don't really need it to be more then 10/20 feet of anything 

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/608920/your-next-phones-gps-is-going-to-be-way-more-accurate/

Yes, but the point is how long will your phone last in 0 weather?  The answer is: not long.  Cell phone batteries drain rapidly in the cold.  Cell phones, including your samsung 7 are not waterproof nor dustproof.  Neither is my iphone.  My Garmin Inreach and other dedciated GPS units are.  They are more robust units, and are meant to endure hard abuse.  Cell phones simply aren't as rugged, and that bares true regardless of which brand we're talking about.

I'm glad to hear that your phone has worked on an airplane and on some hikes in Europe and Canada.  The point is, when I hit rough terrain and bad weather conditions, I'm not going to rely on my cellphone to navigate.  I carry my iphone, which does have GPS, on most hunts, but I always have my GPS and map and compass as well.  Navigation aside, my GPS unit also functions as an emergency communicator and beacon, something current cellphones can't do outside of cell coverage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Yes, but the point is how long will your phone last in 0 weather?  The answer is: not long.  Cell phone batteries drain rapidly in the cold.  Cell phones, including your samsung 7 are not waterproof nor dustproof.  Neither is my iphone.  My Garmin Inreach and other dedciated GPS units are.  They are more robust units, and are meant to endure hard abuse.  Cell phones simply aren't as rugged, and that bares true regardless of which brand we're talking about.

I'm glad to hear that your phone has worked on an airplane and on some hikes in Europe and Canada.  The point is, when I hit rough terrain and bad weather conditions, I'm not going to rely on my cellphone to navigate.  I carry my iphone, which does have GPS, on most hunts, but I always have my GPS and map and compass as well.  Navigation aside, my GPS unit also functions as an emergency communicator and beacon, something current cellphones can't do outside of cell coverage.

I would  not trust any  water proof electronic device if  i were you i put mine in a drybag  the 7 is supposed to be  water  proof to under 3 feet of water . I still don't trust it and use a water proof case phone  marine Drybag . 

And of course a compass and exstra battery   if  I was going to use it in big woods country  plus 2 ways to light a fire . Magnesium stick and a lighter and a small bottle of some type of accelerant to start a fire in wet conditions would be a good idea to . 

Edited by Storm914