Deep Woods Preparedness

Salmon_Run

On 1/16/2018 at 11:53 AM, Storm914 said:

I would  not trust any  water proof electronic device if  i were you i put mine in a drybag  the 7 is supposed to be  water  proof to under 3 feet of water . I still don't trust it and use a water proof case phone  marine Drybag . 

The GPS unit I have is waterproof and is made to be as robust as the GPS units I used in the military.  Obviously, I don't go out of my way to throw it in water or damage it.  But when I have my GPS unit out in bad weather or when I drop it accidentally, which does happen sometimes, I don't have any concern about it malfunctioning.  I don't have that same faith in a mobile phone...they just aren't made to be as robust, plain and simple.

4 hours ago, Padre86 said:

The GPS unit I have is waterproof and is made to be as robust as the GPS units I used in the military.  Obviously, I don't go out of my way to throw it in water or damage it.  But when I have my GPS unit out in bad weather or when I drop it accidentally, which does happen sometimes, I don't have any concern about it malfunctioning.  I don't have that same faith in a mobile phone...they just aren't made to be as robust, plain and simple.

I Dropped my 7 down a flight of concrete stairs . Luckiy  I have a tech 21 case picked it up not a scrach on it .

That is not a worry for me .

The ground in the woods usally much softer then concrete stairs so that is one issue i am not worried about water on the other hand I use a drybag for that just incase and it actually floats . 

Not sure what type of weather you hunt but I know for a fact that I-phones do not last in cold weather.  Mine looses power after about 2 hours in cold weather.  Surprised at some of the answers.  My GPS is invaluable for marking good spots and I use it all the time for that purpose I also rely on it for night navigation along with compass and flashlights.  For some reason I always seem to get stuck on cloudy, foggy or rainy days where seeing the lay of the land is impossible in the dark. 

Best bet if you hunt these deep woods is to be prepared to stay overnight.  This means some extra clothes, fire starters, flashlights and some extra food even if just a granola bar.  If you plan on having to stay overnight and prep for it you will always be prepared even if something major goes wrong.  Make sure you can start a fire in the rain VIP most woods in the ADK with high canopy are wet and starting a fire is not easy even with emergency fire starters.  Carry a new lighter or 2 they are light enough to have. 

I always tell my friend to look for smoke during the day if I do not come back at night.  Once you get a fire going make it large enough to last if you fall asleep!  Wet leaves make a lot of smoke!

Bring extra batteries for flashlights, gps and radio if you use them.  Try to get equipment that takes the same batteries if possible.  Most of mine are AAA or AA.  I try to stick with AA if possible. 

I have to agree with the GPS being much better than a phone, my phone is usually dead after a few hours and even though I can recharge it in the field with an extra battery I like the GPS much better because I can change batteries if they die.  The reason I use my compass more than the GPS is that it only read wrong once in 30 years of hunting, GPS has failed many times due to batteries, fog, rain, high canopy, broken contacts and low coverage due to being in a valley.  If I doubt my compass I move 50 yards or more and recheck, if it points the same direction then that is the way I go. 

Never give up, which was said before.  If you get into a situation stop sit and think, that alone will help settle your nerves and keep you thinking straight!  Also mentioned before, use your head! 

If you really get into trouble or are really lost stop and make camp, the DEC will find you if you did not hike miles away from the area like David Boomhower in 91. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Not sure what type of weather you hunt but I know for a fact that I-phones do not last in cold weather.  Mine looses power after about 2 hours in cold weather.  Surprised at some of the answers.  My GPS is invaluable for marking good spots and I use it all the time for that purpose I also rely on it for night navigation along with compass and flashlights.  For some reason I always seem to get stuck on cloudy, foggy or rainy days where seeing the lay of the land is impossible in the dark. 

Best bet if you hunt these deep woods is to be prepared to stay overnight.  This means some extra clothes, fire starters, flashlights and some extra food even if just a granola bar.  If you plan on having to stay overnight and prep for it you will always be prepared even if something major goes wrong.  Make sure you can start a fire in the rain VIP most woods in the ADK with high canopy are wet and starting a fire is not easy even with emergency fire starters.  Carry a new lighter or 2 they are light enough to have. 

I always tell my friend to look for smoke during the day if I do not come back at night.  Once you get a fire going make it large enough to last if you fall asleep!  Wet leaves make a lot of smoke!

Bring extra batteries for flashlights, gps and radio if you use them.  Try to get equipment that takes the same batteries if possible.  Most of mine are AAA or AA.  I try to stick with AA if possible. 

I have to agree with the GPS being much better than a phone, my phone is usually dead after a few hours and even though I can recharge it in the field with an extra battery I like the GPS much better because I can change batteries if they die.  The reason I use my compass more than the GPS is that it only read wrong once in 30 years of hunting, GPS has failed many times due to batteries, fog, rain, high canopy, broken contacts and low coverage due to being in a valley.  If I doubt my compass I move 50 yards or more and recheck, if it points the same direction then that is the way I go. 

Never give up, which was said before.  If you get into a situation stop sit and think, that alone will help settle your nerves and keep you thinking straight!  Also mentioned before, use your head! 

If you really get into trouble or are really lost stop and make camp, the DEC will find you if you did not hike miles away from the area like David Boomhower in 91. 

Great post. :good:

Something I carry in all my packs, car and certain jackets is a small Altoids can with some basic survival tools including Wet Fire tablets.  As the name implies, these cubes will light up even when wet.  Credit goes to Terry Schappert, former Green Beret and host of "Dude, You're Screwed!"

6 hours ago, Padre86 said:

what brand and model is it?

12 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I don't us a iPhone but I keep mine cell phone in the inside of my jacket near my body it stays warm  and only take it out when I have to i would think you could do the same with the iPhone . So that cold would not have much or any effect on it . I am not sure why anyone would have it out of the warmth  of there inner jacket pocket long enough for Cold to effect it you look at it put it in you jacket and walk   10 or so minutes before checking again if even that much most people I would imagine  have a pretty good sense of diretion enough so that they would not need to look at a gps every second at least I don't . I mean if the inner part of your  jacket is getting that cold means you would be  freezing and not wearing the right cloths and got even bigger problems to worry about  then just  batterys. 

Edited by Storm914

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I don't us a iPhone but I keep mine cell phone in the inside of my jacket near my body it stays warm  and only take it out when I have to i would think you could do the same with the iPhone . So that cold would not have much or any effect on it . I am not sure why anyone would have it out of the warmth  of there inner jacket pocket long enough for Cold to effect it you look at it put it in you jacket and walk   10 or so minutes before checking again if even that much most people I would imagine  have a pretty good sense of diretion enough so that they would not need to look at a gps every second at least I don't . I mean if the inner part of your  jacket is getting that cold means you would be  freezing and not wearing the right cloths and got even bigger problems to worry about  then just  batterys. 

All right, maybe your phone works just fine for you.  But for other people the dedicated GPS units make sense...there certainly is a big difference in durability and all-weather capabilities.

• Like 1

two hundred yards , or just being out of sight from camp is plenty far to be disoriented at times. there was a small area where I used to hunt that had a number of steep small hills very close together, thick with pines. If the sun wasn't out it was very easy to get turned around there, and I knew that area like the back of my hand. Usually I just stood still to wait for the sound of traffic on the nearby road to orient myself.

I have a GPS, (several actually), and although they have their purpose, for hunting the compass still reigns supreme. GPS still can be sensitive to weather/ overcast and tree coverage. Batteries die, electronics malfunction. Nowadays you can get maps of any area to orient yourself to landmarks, and a quick glance at the compass bearing before leaving the car/ cabin gives you your direction. No fumbling with gloves, punching anything in, stone cold reliable and a basic outdoor skill everyone should know. No place I hunt has cell phone reception, and of course they are prone to the same battery foibles of everything else. 

• Like 2