Why did you buy a crossbow?

Five Seasons

Primarily to continue making ethical kills while struggling with draw wgt & hold time with my compound bow. Only options were to quite bow hunting after ~40yrs or buy a Xbow. Would have gladly spent the $1k+ for a new compound IF it would have helped with the limitations I mentioned above!!!! So to continue my passion for bow hunting, I'll satisfy that with the meager 2 week Xbow season and hope for full inclusion someday.

Suppose there might be some convenience factor involved, similiar to me buying a rifle when my county allowed them in the regular season. Liked using my compound during bow season and do still love when I used my ML in the regular season, but they are both collecting dust any more.

BTW - My ex doesn't have much influence on what I buy or how I justify it.... LOL. Even if I still had a significant other, I'd merely point out that I have no addiction to fast cars, an extravagant home, gambling, alcohol, drugs, blah, blah. So what's so bad about some more hunting gear, dear? Keeps me happy and out of the house for a few weeks every year.... and all the bills are still being paid!

• Like 5

Well I've told this before ...But..

I was against them...had some "discussions" on here over it ...I went to GanderMnt to pick up a 10.00 card reader and they had them hanging on the back wall... I thought in all fairness I had best at least pick one up and see what it's like before saying any more... Mind you I have a hard time getting clear sight pics on ANY scopes...don't ask Mr B actually had an instructor come out to help once. Well I picked up a Wicked Ridge and shouldered it...It was like it was made just for me...perfect fit perfect sight...I actually tried getting a bad sight pic on that scope and found it difficult to do. I had a bunch of gander points OK enough to pay for the bow and that was it went in for a 10.00 reader left with close to  400.00 x bow and accessories...

• Like 2

I never had a compound bow. I stopped bow hunting with the recurve because life got too busy. Then, after decades of hard work, my shoulders went to hell. I grow and sell Christmas trees. Rifle season, Thanksgiving and the start of Xmas tree season fall within a 6 day period. A crossbow gets me 2 weeks of low pressure deer hunting. I got a big doe Tuesday (the gut pile in in my gut pile thread in the trail cam forum). I'm hoping to get another before rifle season starts. There are too many deer here. They are hammering my fir trees. I also have 1400 acres around me that no does are killed on. Half is off limits to hunting. The other half is bucks only - an anachronistic thing. My crew cannot kill enough does in the short time before family groups are traipsing about looking for the perfect tree.

Because I got a smoking deal on mine ! It was also a weapon I considered for awhile. I put my time in for bow, and if I'm unsuccessful with the compound I like the bit of advantage the xbow gives me. I just got my first kill this week, and I literally can't wait to take it out again. I may take it during gun season....! Also,I get 4 opening days every year !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had not hunted for such a long period of time and having nearly lost my dad a few times over the last 5 years I wanted more time with him in the woods. This was the ticket to the last 10 days of archery (neither of us are bow hunters).  Like many have mentioned above it did not take long to get hooked.  In fact in some of the smaller places I hunt in the Southern Tier, I'll be using my xbow exclusively.  Had a great season with my dad so far as well as reestablished my love of hunting.

• Like 3

It really was that I had been thinking about getting one and the opportunity presented itself. It's just a new toy and one more thing to carry when i get the urge. interestingly enough the year I picked up the crossbow is the same year I got my first recurve. lol 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Good luck fitting it in your gun safe .....

I need to figure how to secure it outside of mine .

I meant from the same perspective on why i own some of the guns that I do. because they're different, shiny and nice to have. Not because they have an actual practical purpose different than one I already own.

• Like 2

I live out of state, we can deer hunt with a crossbow for months not weeks, so my answer may not apply, but since you asked...

I picked one up about 15 years ago when PA made crossbows legal. I was looking for a bettter tool for the task, like I do in most things in life, and the crossbow fit the bill. Better, IMO, because they are easier to use, less pre-season practice required, and seem to penetrate skin, muscle, and bone better than a compound. Some may call this lazy I suppose. I enjoy striper fishing, squirrel hunting, and  turkey hunting as well in the fall, so I am glad to have a bow that I can simply pick up and hunt with if I'm in the mood to sit for a deer that particular day.

I still own my ancient Bear compound, I keep it more for sentimanetal reasons than anything else. But I can't picture myself bringing it out to actually hunt with anymore, maybe that will change at some point.

As far as Mrs. Uncle Nicky, I don't ask her how much she spends on clothes, jewelry, and decorations around the house, she rarely asks me how much I spend on my vices, and when she does, I just lie anyway. Like the old saying goes, "my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife is going to sell all my hunting & fishing gear for what I actually told her I spent for it".:rofl:

• Like 3

As far as Mrs. Uncle Nicky, I don't ask her how much she spends on clothes, jewelry, and decorations around the house, she rarely asks me how much I spend on my vices, and when she does, I just lie anyway. Like the old saying goes, "my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife is going to sell all my hunting & fishing gear for what I actually told her I spent for it".default_rofl.gif

No need to fear that you'll be dead, hopefully you get to see someone get a screaming deal on it and put it to good use.

My will states that all my guns other than those that were handed down to me by family are to be given to a kid that has an interest in hunting or shooting. I'm not religious but I hope I'm able to see the smiles on the kids faces when they get to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Well, I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.. Was going to buy her a new compound, but she is having shoulder and knee issues so thinking a cross bow and 22 weeks of hunting in NY ( we can get a doctors note to use it here in MA all bow season) is better than her not hunting when her shoulder is hurting her... 

My neighbor  had a severe falling their barn  ..she tore out her shoulder and had to have a replacement... She showed me the scar yesterday in tears...because she can no longer shoulder a gun let alone fire one...I said if they could rig something to ease any pain of a weapon against that shoulder and scar tissue she should get a cross bow.. she can no longer climb but in a ground blind with a field pod to hold the bow she could hunt again. I may have to take her out next season... maybe this if she's feeling better...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, growalot said:

My neighbor  had a severe falling their barn  ..she tore out her shoulder and had to have a replacement... She showed me the scar yesterday in tears...because she can no longer shoulder a gun let alone fire one...I said if they could rig something to ease any pain of a weapon against that shoulder and scar tissue she should get a cross bow.. she can no longer climb but in a ground blind with a field pod to hold the bow she could hunt again. I may have to take her out next season... maybe this if she's feeling better...

Jeez Grow, I have no idea how bad her shoulder is but I can't imagine a 270 rifle would be too bad in a field pod for her either.....Get her back in the woods!!!

2 hours ago, growalot said:

does she by any chance have a pistol permit?

31 minutes ago, growalot said:

Ya know  I think she might...and that may not have occurred  to her...

something like a contender or Encore in a light rifle round, easy to opposite hand shoot on a bipod so an recoil is in good shoulder. I know it is bad form but she can shoot cross eye in the scope and still use her good hand trigger finger. 

The answer for me was an easy one. Didn't have the time to practice enough with the bow to the point where I feel comfortable and consistent. Between work and family, I just couldn't find the time. So I sold the bow this summer. I bought the crossbow for two reasons. It seems like the state is going to continue to allow it before the gun season giving me a longer season and more access to the rut, and I got it for a smoking deal. After sale and coupons, field and stream practically paid me to take it.