Howling coyotes while gutting

Al Bundy

Yesterday afternoon on stand I dropped a reasonable 6 point. I dragged it out of the woods and cleaned near a spot to put the guts.  Before I started gutting I heard yotes howling, close. Real close. It got dark while I was gutting and I heard those things in the woods howling and howling. Somewhat disconcerting to hear this.  Couldn’t have been more than 50 yards from me. Memorable experience... any rate got a nice 6 hanging. 

• Like 6

i remember one hunt a few years ago where about 40 yards from me i heard them start freaking out and then i heard what was definitely them killing something. I waited in the stand well past dark and when I got down i could still see eyes. I've never done this before, but I took out the knife and walked with it in my hand until i cleared the creek. a literal hair on end experience. 

• Like 1

To me, a chipmunk in the woods at night sounds like a tyrannosaurus, but keep this in mind:

"There have only been two recorded incidences in the United States and Canada of humans being killed by coyotes. One involved a child in Southern California in the 1980s and the other a 19-year old woman in Nova Scotia in 2009."

• Like 1

pretty good stories!  I kept repeating to myself they stay away from humans. I also screamed into the woods..”I’m going to reload my cross bow you bitches. You hear me”?  They yelped a bit less for a while.  I figured loud voice may scare them somewhat and it seeemd to. I also had to leave the deer to go get the truck. I was somewhat reluctant, but when I left I put my Xbow on the cavity. I also had my chair which I tried to cover the rest of the cavity with. I gave a bellow toward the woods and briskly walked to the truck; noting wet spots on the trek. A bit of a hike and some wet muddy places. I was alone and unable to drag the deer the distance so had to drive.  Luckily the yotes left the deer alone and the truck made it.  Whew!  

• Like 2

Coyotes used to freak  me out in the dark too. That is until I moved to Alaska. Now I have been desensitized, after three years living with big wolves, small to medium sized black bears, and REALLY BIG Brown bears in my yard from time to time, and always never far away. There have been several severe Brown bear and Blackie attacks on people, some fatal, since I moved to the Kenai. Scary to me now is fishing Salmon on the Kenai, in the bush, knowing full well the bears are doing the same, whether or not I'm there, and me not packing anything other than fishing gear. Coyotes be damned at this point! :  )

• Like 3

left field you have to update your knowledge a new jersey college student was killed by coyotes last summer hiking with friends in new jersey
I think you should update your knowledge, it was not coyotes, it was a bear. She took pictures of it before it killed her... Nice try though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2