can you explain why hunters would want to shorten gun season?

Robhuntandfish

i have read some commentary in magazines like outdoor news and other places that some hunters are in favor of shortening the gun season in NY....... I dont get why?  what am I missing here?  And I am prob the only guy in NY that thinks our seasons are dead on perfect.  2 buck tags (one bow/muzzle one gun), a generous bow season, a nice slot for crossbow, a generous gun season and a muzzleloader season at the end ....just to round it out.  Plus i have a total of 7 deer tags and cant possibly fill them all.  I think NY hit this one thing just right but I dont get why hunters would want to shorten what they love to do, doesnt make sense to me......

some states have short condensed seasons and i think it makes for more of a holiday. tons of guys hunting at once and pushing deer. I agree that I like our seasons. When I hunted down south the season was 10/1 till 1/30. I kinda hated it because I was still hunting in January and was really over it lol. 

I would like it to be shorter, just to give our bucks a better chance to survive! I think its from more of a management perspective and not just a "hunting pov". I would love to still bow hunt un pressured deer in late season, but that in most places is hard to do successfully after theyve been running from slugs for a month. Why not put ML in front of Rifle? what sense does that make?  

• Like 1

so if your sick of hunting then just dont hunt.  Take a break.  A lot of guys dont get anytime off to hunt so its not fair to shorten season because some people are tired of it.  Also if its to try to get bigger bucks how is the answer to shorten season so you dont get time to see them....still makes no sense to me.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To HELL with that idea!!  In the past 10 or so years in the Catskill region where I've generally hunted, I've seen antler restrictions implemented, you have slim chances of drawing a doe permit and now they want to shorten the gun season?  Maybe someone can give me a good reason why I should even buy a hunting license at all?   And please, I don't want anyone giving me the BS that I should go out and start bowhunting where I could use the tag on a doe.   Why should only bowhunters get the privilege of taking a doe?  And of course shortening the gun season would also probably benefit bowhunters more than anyone else.  Sure as hell ain't benefiting the gun hunters!!

• Like 5

I would like everybody to go up to the second post and hit like. Come on, people, that is funny right there.

As a bow and now xbow hunter I'm all in favor of shortening gun season to one day. Gun results in a massive cull of deer population. More for me the merrier :D Just kidding, mostly.

I agree the seasons is pretty good now. October and some of nov for some pretty fair weather hunting, then if you have another 4-5 weekends of gun that should be enough to get it done.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Why should only bowhunters get the privilege of taking a doe? 

Because they are trying to suppress harvest numbers. If they opened it to gun you'd have an even smaller chance of that rare doe permit.

Unfortunately for you if you lived a bit further south or west in new york you could get all the tags you need. In my area we all got DMPs guaranteed before october and then anybody who showed up on Nov 1st was able to get two more. That's 7 tags total year after year.

I think this idea comes from other states that are known for big bucks. I surfed some state hunting websites to get regular gun seasons lengths.

Illinois - 7 days, Iowa - 15 days, Kansas - 11 days, Nebraska - 9 days, Ohio- 7 days, Oklahoma -16 days, Pennsylvania 13 days (majority of state). 

We are at 22 days this year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, J.B. said:

I think this idea comes from other states that are known for big bucks. I surfed some state hunting websites to get regular gun seasons lengths.

Illinois - 7 days, Iowa - 15 days, Kansas - 11 days, Nebraska - 9 days, Ohio- 7 days, Oklahoma -16 days, Pennsylvania 13 days (majority of state). 

We are at 22 days this year. 

22 for regular but you have to include our "primitive weapon" season, thats almost as crowded as the regular season anymore

14 minutes ago, Core said:

Because they are trying to suppress harvest numbers. If they opened it to gun you'd have an even smaller chance of that rare doe permit.

Unfortunately for you if you lived a bit further south or west in new york you could get all the tags you need. In my area we all got DMPs guaranteed before october and then anybody who showed up on Nov 1st was able to get two more. That's 7 tags total year after year.

The ONLY fair way would be to not allow bowhunters to use their bow tag on a doe.  Why should they be the only ones allowed to take a doe in a region where the DEC feels that few should be taken?  Others have suggested this in the past on other threads, but why not have doe tags be on a draw for everyone in these regions, and not just for the gun hunters?  If you burn the doe tag during bow season, you won't have one during the gun season.  Simple solution that should please everyone.

28 minutes ago, steve863 said:

The ONLY fair way would be to not allow bowhunters to use their bow tag on a doe.  Why should they be the only ones allowed to take a doe in a region where the DEC feels that few should be taken?  Others have suggested this in the past on other threads, but why not have doe tags be on a draw for everyone in these regions, and not just for the gun hunters?  If you burn the doe tag during bow season, you won't have one during the gun season.  Simple solution that should please everyone.

They're probably considering how many more people hunt during pray and spray season as opposed to archery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

so if your sick of hunting then just dont hunt.  Take a break.  A lot of guys dont get anytime off to hunt so its not fair to shorten season because some people are tired of it.  Also if its to try to get bigger bucks how is the answer to shorten season so you dont get time to see them....still makes no sense to me.  

it's a weird feeling to know you could be hunting and aren't 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They're probably considering how many more people hunt during pray and spray season as opposed to archery.

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Spoken just like the typical elitist bowhunter!!

it is a fact that more people hunt with a gun and it's also easier. to get any deer within 30 (bow or crossbow) is a challenge not many succeed in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

it is a fact that more people hunt with a gun and it's also easier. to get any deer within 30 (bow or crossbow) is a challenge not many succeed in. 

Not sure gun hunting is actually easier when you weigh in the amount of deer seen in archery season during the rut  versus gun. Is the actual "shooting" easier with gun, absolutely.

Imagine gun being open across the state during the peak of the rut? Now that would be fun IMO  (as a non bowhunter at least)

1 hour ago, Core said:

Not really. If the does taken on the archery or ML tags were included in the desired take in the lottery there would be MORE tags issued. I believe that ALL of the antlerless take should be done on the lottery basis. Get your permit and then use it in the season you want to. Gives every hunter the same chance at the tags.  

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Imagine gun being open across the state during the peak of the rut? Now that would be fun IMO  (as a non bowhunter at least)

When gun season is at its earliest there is plenty of rut still happening. I shot my best buck ever opening day of rifle, he was grunting and chasing does all over the place

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not sure gun hunting is actually easier when you weigh in the amount of deer seen in archery season during the rut  versus gun. Is the actual "shooting" easier with gun, absolutely.

no..... just no...