can you explain why hunters would want to shorten gun season?

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not sure gun hunting is actually easier when you weigh in the amount of deer seen in archery season during the rut  versus gun. Is the actual "shooting" easier with gun, absolutely.

Imagine gun being open across the state during the peak of the rut? Now that would be fun IMO  (as a non bowhunter at least)

It's a fair point TF but gun in rut would change the fact that lots of deer are seen in that period. I do find it far easier to kill a nice buck in Archery vs regular season.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It's a fair point TF but gun in rut would change the fact that lots of deer are seen in that period. I do find it far easier to kill a nice buck in Archery vs regular season.  

would agree.  Seems like after the first two days of gun season where i hunt it seems like seeing a deer becomes a rare thing.  So thats why TF is getting a crossbow for next season!  lol

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i have read some commentary in magazines like outdoor news and other places that some hunters are in favor of shortening the gun season in NY....... I dont get why?  what am I missing here?  And I am prob the only guy in NY that thinks our seasons are dead on perfect.  2 buck tags (one bow/muzzle one gun), a generous bow season, a nice slot for crossbow, a generous gun season and a muzzleloader season at the end ....just to round it out.  Plus i have a total of 7 deer tags and cant possibly fill them all.  I think NY hit this one thing just right but I dont get why hunters would want to shorten what they love to do, doesnt make sense to me......

Hunters don't want to shorten gun season. BOW HUNTERS want to.

• Like 1

I do not mind our seasons the way they are, and I am primarily a bow hunter. What I do disagree with is people being allowed to take more than one buck. I think you should get one buck whether it’s the beginning or the end of the season and you have to personally check them in at a station. Everyone has a choice of what buck makes them happy, no one is forced to wait, and you can have some venison for the freezer if that’s what you hunt for.

Gun season is fun season ! 7-9 days I wouldn't care for , I need a couple to  hunt with my daughter , some with Joe at his place , some with him at mine , a day or two at the end to drive with others .

An occasional,invite to others spots ,and vise versa . Throw in a few days of crap weather , or some commitments you can't dodge and oh ya work , no thanks .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zuke said:

I do not mind our seasons the way they are, and I am primarily a bow hunter. What I do disagree with is people being allowed to take more than one buck. I think you should get one buck whether it’s the beginning or the end of the season and you have to personally check them in at a station. Everyone has a choice of what buck makes them happy, no one is forced to wait, and you can have some venison for the freezer if that’s what you hunt for.

I would like to see those who buy a bow, regular, and ML licence get (3) buck tags.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I would like to see those who buy a bow, regular, and ML licence get (3) buck tags.   

Sorry, but I'm firmly against that.

However, I wouldn't mind the ability for a hunter to transfer a buck tag, provided that

1) they became area specific, 

2) there was a limit of only one per transferee, and

3) You must use it if you shoot a button buck (please refrain from using the word "tasty" if you respond).

• Like 2

I would love southern zone gun shortened 1 week by starting a week later and have northern zone gun open the Saturday SZ does now and get rid of early Muzzeloader season in NZ.

I would also like all buck tags to be given out based on property owned/ leased. Let's say 1 additional buck tag per every 50acres. Non landowners/leasers get 1 buck tag.

It will never happen and that is why I will continue to spend my money in other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would also like all buck tags to be given out based on property owned/ leased. Let's say 1 additional buck tag per every 50acres. Non landowners/leasers get 1 buck tag.

It will never happen and that is why I will continue to spend my money in other states.

You are saying that a property owner/leaser should get an extra buck tag for every 50 acres of land?   What state allows something like that?  I've never heard of any?   In a number of western states even residents have to go thru a draw for a buck tag, so I'd like to know which are the states that give out buck tags per acres of land??

Would not bother me to cut it back and I mean way back!  When I started hunting in the early 60s Deer season opened October 25 - December 5 in the Northern zone. In the Southern zone November 20 - December 5.  

These days there is some kind of Deer season going on from September 27 till December 19.

Deer management permits back then were called party permits for the reason 1 extra Deer of either sex was allowed per party, that deer was split between usually 3 or four hunters named on the permit. Now as the op posted in some cases it is possible to shoot seven Deer. In my opinion you have to be pretty greedy to be killing 7 Deer but that is what Deer hunting has spawned in recent years greed and a lot of posted land.

These long dragged out Deers seasons have virtually wiped out small game hunting during fair weather periods in the fall. Deer hunters think they trump all other kinds of hunting as something spoiling their hunts with little to no tolerance rabbit and bird hunters especially those that hunt with dogs.

Al

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

how so? If they're trying to limit the doe harvest, opening up to gun would do far more damage then archery, especially in vast forests like the catskills. 

It's all based on quota. Every section has an estimate of the number they want taken. Just like every unit even up in the ADKs. Trust me I take advantage of it. My group took 4 does in a Norther zone area of 5H during the ML weekend. There are NO doe permits in that area. We had the tags and could, so we did. But I still think that if even only 100 antlerless are desired taken  in a WMU then it should be up for all hunters that want to try. 

24 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You are saying that a property owner/leaser should get an extra buck tag for every 50 acres of land?   What state allows something like that?  I've never heard of any?   In a number of western states even residents have to go thru a draw for a buck tag, so I'd like to know which are the states that give out buck tags per acres of land??

In Iowa you can, and you don't even need 50 acres to do it.

iowa.JPG

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Archery is open to everyone ,plenty of room at the top for you.

You do realize what would happen if they shorten gun season right? Alol the gun hunters that bow hunters you bow hunters dislike that do not get much time to hunt with season the way it is now would have to start bow hunting. That would put the dreaded orange army right where you don't want them. Then bow hunters would be saying our previous season has been ruined by so many hunters.

Or what would happen if hunters with already limited time already just stopped hunting. Fewer tags sold  means higher tag prices to make up for funds lost. Tags here are already high in price. How would you like paying even more.

19 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

In Iowa you can, and you don't even need 50 acres to do it.

iowa.JPG

Where does it say that you can get an extra buck tag for every 50 acres or any acres?  From what I see you get 1 general tag, which I guess would be the buck tag, and 3 antlerless tags.  Says nothing about more buck tags than that.  Even in NYS a landowner could get landowner preference and draw a doe tag in areas where other non-landowners might have a difficult time drawing one.  Giving out buck tags for every 50 acres would be a complete game changer in so many ways in my opinion.  $#!+, many of us can't even draw a doe tag and now people want additional buck tags for every 50 acres???

Edited by steve863

I look at it as a "having your cake and eating it too" kind of thing. In PA the deer numbers used to be extremely high and seasons were pretty modest. 2 weeks of buck season with no Sunday hunting and a 3 day doe season the following week. Around the year 2000 they began running the buck and doe season concurrent for the rifle season and handed out higher numbers of doe tags than in past years. Some loved the idea and some hated it. Regardless of which side of the fence you were on, deer numbers dropped significantly and the hunting changed. The fact is, rifle season has a much larger impact of deer management than archery season does simply because the number of people out there. To me it seems rifle season is the best place to make an adjustment according to management goals. Most of the arguments I've seen on here have no mention of conservation goals, just whining about things not being "fair."

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Where does it say that you can get an extra buck tag for every 50 acres or any acres?  From what I see you get 1 general tag, which I guess would be the buck tag, and 3 antlerless tags.  Says nothing about more buck tags than that.  Even in NYS a landowner could get landowner preference and draw a doe tag in areas where other non-landowners might have a difficult time drawing one.  Giving out buck tags for every 50 acres would be a complete game changer in so many ways in my opinion.  $#!+, many of us can't even draw a doe tag and now people want additional buck tags for every 50 acres???

Those tags are available for "EACH FARM UNIT" which consists of 2 contiguous acres that meet re requirements outlined.  A general tag is a buck tag, and these are in addition to your regular resident tags.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I don't think it's fair that I pay 10k+$ a year on my 300 acres and get the same amount of tags that someone who owns zero land gets.

The problem is in Ag areas like where I live people just take the illegal approach and fill wive's/kids tags with zero risk of getting caught because it's on their own property. Why not legitimize it so the state can regulate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jmp209 said:

I look at it as a "having your cake and eating it too" kind of thing. In PA the deer numbers used to be extremely high and seasons were pretty modest. 2 weeks of buck season with no Sunday hunting and a 3 day doe season the following week. Around the year 2000 they began running the buck and doe season concurrent for the rifle season and handed out higher numbers of doe tags than in past years. Some loved the idea and some hated it. Regardless of which side of the fence you were on, deer numbers dropped significantly and the hunting changed. The fact is, rifle season has a much larger impact of deer management than archery season does simply because the number of people out there. To me it seems rifle season is the best place to make an adjustment according to management goals. Most of the arguments I've seen on here have no mention of conservation goals, just whining about things not being "fair."

That has been my assertion as to why manage all antler harvest through the lottery system. to better the management tool.  I'd love to see it go back to one buck as well but that's another topic. 

That has been my assertion as to why manage all antler harvest through the lottery system. to better the management tool.  I'd love to see it go back to one buck as well but that's another topic. 
Coming from Pennsylvania to New York I always wondered why they had quotas by zone for the antlerless licenses during firearms season but not archery or muzzleloader. I would think it makes more sense to have a certain number of antlerless tags for each WMU and they're sold on either a first come, first served basis or on a lottery. Either way you have a chance at a tag but no gaurantee.

45 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

You do realize what would happen if they shorten gun season right? Alol the gun hunters that bow hunters you bow hunters dislike that do not get much time to hunt with season the way it is now would have to start bow hunting. That would put the dreaded orange army right where you don't want them. Then bow hunters would be saying our previous season has been ruined by so many hunters.

Or what would happen if hunters with already limited time already just stopped hunting. Fewer tags sold  means higher tag prices to make up for funds lost. Tags here are already high in price. How would you like paying even more.

I'm not really serious about anything i post i here , it's the usual BS thread where people feel owed a trophy buck every time they buy a license and how to make that happen.