can you explain why hunters would want to shorten gun season?

Robhuntandfish

I don't think we need a shorter season necessarily,  but a 1 buck limit each season.  I know that would be unpopular with some but it would help strengthen the balance of the herd.  Along with a 1 buck limit, there should be a late season doe only to help ensure doe tags have been filled. Buck to doe ratios are heavily skewed in most DMU's, we need balance the herd.
New York State consistently ranks as the worst state to kill mature deer.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.wideopenspaces.com/top-10-worst-deer-hunting-states/amp/

If there is going to be a gun antlerless season it makes way more sense to have it early and not late. Late seasons does are already bred, late season bucks could have shed they're antlers etc.

Perfect time in my opinion for a antlerless gun season would be the weekend before oct 1. If the goal was to kill does get them before they've been pressured and are still in normal summer movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2017 at 11:35 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

How late is “late season? You want to protect bucks with a one buck rule but you have to be careful of putting a target in bucks that have shed antlers.

"Late Season" would be after late Bow / Muzzle loader, there would be a 4 week antlerless season that would end late January.   There would be no worry of shooting bucks that have already shed.  Many states have bow seasons that go through January. 

"Late Season" would be after late Bow / Muzzle loader, there would be a 4 week antlerless season that would end late January.   There would be no worry of shooting bucks that have already shed.  Many states have bow seasons that go through January. 

There are bucks that have lost their antlers in that time frame.
  • Like 2

Id like to see the gun season shortened by 12 days. As a gun hunter we have the privilege of usually being right in the peak of the rut. The most activity I’ve seen on cams is always the 15-th to the 22nd. Having a season so long is ridiculous. Take vacation days guys like every other hunter in the country does with short seasons. If anything it should be one week for bucks and then rest of the gun season for does. Archery is much more challenging to harvest an animal as we know. Anyone that says that’s not true I dare you to pick up a bow and put down the gun during the gun season. We have too many does in the south eastern portion and it’s close to a 5-1 ratio and all small bucks 1.5 do all the mating. Let’s make a change!

The health of the ratio. Rather have mature deer breeding rather then 1.5 spike horns doing it. And not all archery hunters are gun hunters. Most of my friends bow hunt through the gun season. I’m a die hard gun hunter on the other hand. It’s easier for me. Don’t need any more of a challenge!

@Culvercreek hunt clubWe'll have to disagree...I've never seen a deer shed it's antlers in January...I'm sure there is always a rare possibility.   I know where I hunt, I've seen bucks with horns in March-April. So, again, I'll use Ohio for instance, there the archery season goes till February...no problem for them.

Edited by HFBPA889

[mention=152]Culvercreek hunt club[/mention]We'll have to disagree...I've never seen a deer shed it's antlers in January...I'm sure there is always a rare possibility.   I know where I hunt, I've seen bucks with horns in March-April. So, again, I'll use Ohio for instance, there the archery season goes till February...no problem for them.

Where do you hunt? I have seen them on in March and I have seen them off as early as the weekend of muzzleloader.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Where do you hunt? I have seen them on in March and I have seen them off as early as the weekend of muzzleloader.

In 8F last year the last buck to drop his antlers was the end of March. In 8X there wasn't a buck I saw on camera or in person that head gear past Jan.

the way Mississippi structured it was kinda different and neat. After bow ended there was a week of muzzleloader that was doe only, but you could still hunt bucks with your bow. Then gun opened the next week. The real issue I saw was regarding the honest hunter, especially in a state that didn't require tagging or reporting anywhere but state land.