can you explain why hunters would want to shorten gun season?

Robhuntandfish

Chrisw & Papist,

You are partially correct.  Due to previous injuries and other physical issues, I no longer can hunt with my compound and fear I may not be able to cock a crossbow.  I bow hunted for over thirty years and enjoyed ever day I spent in the woods with my bow and now I would like to enjoy that peak rut again.  Maybe a little selfish, but after buying licenses for over 50 years, an old hunter can at least hope, can't he/she.  Thank you for you replies.

Chrisw & Papist,
You are partially correct.  Due to previous injuries and other physical issues, I no longer can hunt with my compound and fear I may not be able to cock a crossbow.  I bow hunted for over thirty years and enjoyed ever day I spent in the woods with my bow and now I would like to enjoy that peak rut again.  Maybe a little selfish, but after buying licenses for over 50 years, an old hunter can at least hope, can't he/she.  Thank you for you replies.
You should look into crossbows, there are some simple, relatively easy cocking devices now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, stubby68 said:

It is the mightier then thow attitude bow hunters have. A hunter who uses a bow calls himself a bow hunter a hunter who uses a gun calls himself a hunter.  When gun season starts it is called hunting when bow season starts it is called BOW  season. Comments like orange army, gun hunters do not have what it takes to bow hunt,brown is down clowns. All terms used by bow hunters to separate them selves from gun hunters. The animosity between gunners and bow is created by these things. Or how about bow hunters pushing for a shorter gun season. How about bow hunters being against everything from youth hunt to crossbow just because it is THEIR SEASON. They complain about everything. Want no other activity in the woods while THEIR  season is going. Every gunshot they hear is a poacher.  And every gun hunter baits. Understand a litthe now? Oh one more. Between this site Facebook and other sites how many stories have there been of deer shot and lost. Not saying that doesn't happen to gunners but wow the number of bad shots and lost deer stories during bow season is outrageous. 

Of course, what you are conveniently forgetting is that most of us bow hunters are gun hunters also. Actually, if you read your own post, I think you will see where the real divisiveness lies. You seem to have a bitterness toward bowhunters that probably has no place in the world of hunting. I mean, I have heard less anti-bowhunting rhetoric from PETA publications.

• Like 3

the rut is still going on during gun season, most of the gun season I Still carry the bow and have killed some decent bucks during gun with the bow.

my thoughts on this whole issue may be off base but I will give my 2 cents on it.

the woods are the deer's home, basically for 10 months ( other than spring turkey) the woods are void of human scent.

around sept. the deer start smelling human scent in their home a little more, from people fiddling with camera's, setting stands, clearing shooting lanes, cutting firewood etc.

beginning in Oct. they start sensing more human presence, generally bow hunters are more aware of scent control, access/exit routes, wind, stand placement etc.  Its fairly common knowledge that your best chance at killing a mature buck is your first sit in his honeyhole stand.   Its also pretty common knowledge that the more times you sit in a stand overall your sightings go down.

Now roll into gun season,  for the prior 6 weeks the human scent was at a tolerable level for the deer and they just simply changed their movement pattern depending on the level of human invasion into their home.

Then one morning the deer think they are standing in the middle of the mall on black friday, what I mean is the woods (their home) is SATURATED with human scent. Lets be honest very few gun hunters pay as close attention to scent control, wind, stand placement etc.

how many times do you see hunters at the gas station strolling through the store in their hunting gear, see them in wal mart, sporting goods stores, etc. walking through gas, oil drippings in the parking lots and saturating their hunting gear with foreign smells only to then go out in the woods and see very few if any deer.  

A large majority of  hunters do not do their homework, they simply pull off the road and either go to spot A  because that's where I have set for years, or they walk around till they find a spot that suits them at the time, again most of these folks do not take into consideration wind, travel to and from their spot  or scent control.  They are simply hoping a deer gets pushed by them by other hunters.

There is no denying the fact that deer in their most natural movement patterns happen during archery season simply because of less human interactions.

there is no denying the fact that there are far more humans in the woods come gun season, deer are not stupid, your in their home, they live there 24/7/365, they understand wind, they know how to avoid danger afterall they are in full survival mode 24/7/365 humans are only 1 of their predators and they have more than 1.

There have been extensive studies on radio collared wild deer and its amazing how quickly they react to the human invasion into their home. I can see it in the deer where I hunt, it does not take them long to get into the safe zone and many of those safe zones are used year after year by deer.

People are always so quick to call bow hunters elitists, are there some? of course but is it being elite or just passionate? 

The same can be said for gun hunters, are there elitist gun hunters? of course or is it just being passionate?     

Or does all of this dissension between different groups simply stem from jealousy?  

I would lay odds that if gun season opened nov.1 in the "peak" of the rut the average joe blow gun hunter would not kill a mature buck.  

I know I said 2 cents worth but maybe ended up a nickles worth lol.   

• Like 4

22 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Man you sure are painting with a broad brush. I dont Really know many guys that hunt exclusively with a bow and only call themselves a bow hunter. The vast majority just say they are hunters and hunt both seasons. Do bow hunting elitists exist? Absolutely, but they are a rather small percentage of the overall bow hunting community. 

Not a wide brush at all. In just this thread there has been more then one person that made a comment like the one I mentioned. Go read any thread like this one or one about crossbows and you can easily see it is the majority of bow hunters who say these things about gun hunters. Go to any hunting site or Facebook you can see the comments made by many many bow hunters. Take the blinders off and actually read the words your comrades write, don't skip over the words that put down hunters who use guns only. You will see that the vast majority actually do separate themselves from others and put themselves above all other hunters.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Of course, what you are conveniently forgetting is that most of us bow hunters are gun hunters also. Actually, if you read your own post, I think you will see where the real divisiveness lies. You seem to have a bitterness toward bowhunters that probably has no place in the world of hunting. I mean, I have heard less anti-bowhunting rhetoric from PETA publications.

I am forgetting nothing a bow hunter who also hunts with a gun still considers himself a bow hunter.  You your self just said it. You said most of us bow hunters use a gun also. Why did you seperate the two. You could have said alot of HUNTERS  use both weapons, but you didn't.There words alone show us that. How many threads on this very subject have there been or posts on crossbow hunting. In every one there is post after post referring to gun hunters as slobs. Orange army, brown is down clowns. Gene hunters do not have what it takes they are lazy and many more things said against hunters who use guns.

Bo hunters have there own separate season. Why is this needed? Why do bow hunters have there own special tag? You guys say you hunt with bows for the chalange yet want your own special time in the woods with no disturbance from others to minimize  the chalange. If you actually like the challenges then why not just one season with any weapon?  Wouldn't  that add to the challenge you guy speed of? Kind of like a kid playing football wanting the other kids to step down there skills so he can score. Last I knew Peta was against all hunting yet you statement suggest that are just bow hunting.

Do hunters who use only guns have the own separate web  pages?  How many forums are bow hunting forums? Many right? How many are gun hunting forums? I can think of none. There are hunting forums where bow hunter and gun hunters talk shop yet a bow forum is about bow hunting not a jus hunting. Do hunters who use guns have there own organization like the nysbha?

Do hunters who use guns push for shorter bow season? No but hunters who use bows sure do push for a shorter gun season. When a different weapon was introduced in to gun season ( the rifle ) did gun hunters fight against it? Nope not at all we saw it as another type of gun to use maybe a better one. Try to introduce another weapon into bow season ( the crossbow) and the sky is falling.  Bow hunters sure fight that and it is nothing more then another type of bow to use.

Bitterness comes from emotions. My statements about bow hunters come from facts. Yes facts not just something I think or feel. Facts that are proved time and time again. Proven by the same people who try to claim they are not facts yet in trying to disprove the facts use the same words and statements I pointed out and more . Thus proving my point further.

2 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Not a wide brush at all. In just this thread there has been more then one person that made a comment like the one I mentioned. Go read any thread like this one or one about crossbows and you can easily see it is the majority of bow hunters who say these things about gun hunters. Go to any hunting site or Facebook you can see the comments made by many many bow hunters. Take the blinders off and actually read the words your comrades write, don't skip over the words that put down hunters who use guns only. You will see that the vast majority actually do separate themselves from others and put themselves above all other hunters.

A very broad brush indeed. The vocal minority is what you keep referring to. How many members of this site are there, and how many members say the things you are talking about? Same goes for other sites and social media. I have No blinders about these things. Through my personal dealings with people in hunting related groups, various deer camps, and on the internet, I have Seen that the vast majority of hunters do not segregate themselves. Sure, if a few websites is all you are going off of, I might Be able to see what you are saying, but the majority of hunters in general don’t really participate in forums, etc. 

I am forgetting nothing a bow hunter who also hunts with a gun still considers himself a bow hunter.  You your self just said it. You said most of us bow hunters use a gun also. Why did you seperate the two. You could have said alot of HUNTERS  use both weapons, but you didn't.There words alone show us that. How many threads on this very subject have there been or posts on crossbow hunting. In every one there is post after post referring to gun hunters as slobs. Orange army, brown is down clowns. Gene hunters do not have what it takes they are lazy and many more things said against hunters who use guns.
       Bo hunters have there own separate season. Why is this needed? Why do bow hunters have there own special tag? You guys say you hunt with bows for the chalange yet want your own special time in the woods with no disturbance from others to minimize  the chalange. If you actually like the challenges then why not just one season with any weapon?  Wouldn't  that add to the challenge you guy speed of? Kind of like a kid playing football wanting the other kids to step down there skills so he can score. Last I knew Peta was against all hunting yet you statement suggest that are just bow hunting.
         Do hunters who use only guns have the own separate web  pages?  How many forums are bow hunting forums? Many right? How many are gun hunting forums? I can think of none. There are hunting forums where bow hunter and gun hunters talk shop yet a bow forum is about bow hunting not a jus hunting. Do hunters who use guns have there own organization like the nysbha?
            Do hunters who use guns push for shorter bow season? No but hunters who use bows sure do push for a shorter gun season. When a different weapon was introduced in to gun season ( the rifle ) did gun hunters fight against it? Nope not at all we saw it as another type of gun to use maybe a better one. Try to introduce another weapon into bow season ( the crossbow) and the sky is falling.  Bow hunters sure fight that and it is nothing more then another type of bow to use.
             Bitterness comes from emotions. My statements about bow hunters come from facts. Yes facts not just something I think or feel. Facts that are proved time and time again. Proven by the same people who try to claim they are not facts yet in trying to disprove the facts use the same words and statements I pointed out and more . Thus proving my point further.
What I sense from your ranting about bowhunters is... You tried bowhunting, didn't have much success, your neighbors were shooting the deer during archery you wanted to shoot during gun season. Now all you can do is write your desperate attempts at making people believe people that bowhunters are the devil, it's too easy etc.... I'm not a "bowhunter," I'm a hunter that does a lot more bowhunting than gun.
As for your twisted approach to what people refer to themselves as... When I'm bowhunting, I'm a bow hunter. When I'm gun hunting, I'm a gun hunter. See how easy that is? When I'm asked by someone, I'm a hunter. Period.
One things for sure you have a serious case of the "butthurts" about archery hunting. How about we address that rather than flap your gums on a website, spouting off a bunch of nonsense to try to cover up the real reason you hate archery so much.

When people come onto these sites, after a while you can kind of see how that person addresses things, how they would feel about things, their stance on topics etc. All we hear from you is "I hate bowhunting." "I don't bowhunt because it's too easy." "I don't like to shoot big bucks as trophies." " I don't have any proof of all of these big easy to kill bucks I've harvested because I just chop up the racks for keychains." "I disapprove of anyone that hunts for older deer." Rarely do you get involved in threads other than to piss and moan about something and disagree with everyone and push your own agenda. The point is, I've never met anyone from this site in person but a few of them I think I know a fair bit about now, enough to draw a conclusion that they are people I would see eye to eye with. I see you as the guy that occasionally strolls into a bar and immediately gets into a conversation where he's loud and full of facts he can't prove or even justify to a reasonable person how they make any sense at all. There, see I can rant also.

• Like 7

What I sense from your ranting about bowhunters is... You tried bowhunting, didn't have much success, your neighbors were shooting the deer during archery you wanted to shoot during gun season. Now all you can do is write your desperate attempts at making people believe people that bowhunters are the devil, it's too easy etc.... I'm not a "bowhunter," I'm a hunter that does a lot more bowhunting than gun.
As for your twisted approach to what people refer to themselves as... When I'm bowhunting, I'm a bow hunter. When I'm gun hunting, I'm a gun hunter. See how easy that is? When I'm asked by someone, I'm a hunter. Period.
One things for sure you have a serious case of the "butthurts" about archery hunting. How about we address that rather than flap your gums on a website, spouting off a bunch of nonsense to try to cover up the real reason you hate archery so much.

When people come onto these sites, after a while you can kind of see how that person addresses things, how they would feel about things, their stance on topics etc. All we hear from you is "I hate bowhunting." "I don't bowhunt because it's too easy." "I don't like to shoot big bucks as trophies." " I don't have any proof of all of these big easy to kill bucks I've harvested because I just chop up the racks for keychains." "I disapprove of anyone that hunts for older deer." Rarely do you get involved in threads other than to piss and moan about something and disagree with everyone and push your own agenda. The point is, I've never met anyone from this site in person but a few of them I think I know a fair bit about now, enough to draw a conclusion that they are people I would see eye to eye with. I see you as the guy that occasionally strolls into a bar and immediately gets into a conversation where he's loud and full of facts he can't prove or even justify to a reasonable person how they make any sense at all. There, see I can rant also.

BOOM. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I live and hunt the the southern part of northern teir, about 5 miles from the line. 

For all intents and purposes the conditions seem very similar to the southern zone. (Lots of ag fields with pockets if bigger woods here and there)

I think for the area, firearm season is way to long. October 14-December 3...51 days.

That is a long stretch for deer to evade hunters and not slip up. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the NZ season brought in line with the SZ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shortening the gun season allows more bucks to survive eventually leading to bigger bucks.  That's why they are proposing shortening the gun season.
I would prefer antler restrictions rather then shorter seasons. Or earn a buck tag . Having to shoot a doe first . IMO

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

In fairness gun only hunters have complaints about bowhunter as well. This bickering is so childish and will only hurt all hunting in the future.

I would like to see the gun season turned into two one week seasons with a cool down in between. This has nothing to do with being selfish. I would just like to see more hunters out past the first weekend. Hell, most hunters don't even use vacation time anymore. They used to always take at least the first week of gun off, and the camps were full, bars were full, diners, were full, etc. Now, they switched it to Saturday, and the guys go to camp the first weekend, and are for the most part done. Instead of getting more people in the woods, the switch has put less people out there in my areas. This is in the areas of 4F and 7M.

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

I bow hunted for quite a few years and never had a year when I didn't take deer. The neighbors didn't bow hunt in fact very few people around the area did so no worries of them getting deer before gun season. 

Actually I have put up pictures of the deer I have taken many times infact. You can tell nothing about someone from what they post on the internet. No matter what you think you know about them the truth is almost always far from what you think.

I rant about nothing. Rants are based on nothing but opinion.  Absolutely everything I have said about bow hunters is true. They are facts based on the exact words used by bow hunters every single time a thread like this comes up. Go to any hunting site and you can read the Samy words from many more bow hunters then just the ones here. All one needs to do is read the threads here they can quickly see the words from the b on hunters. Can you dispute this in any way? Are these statements and words I have used not words used by bow hunters? That fact that they are and that you can not dispute or prove false anything I have said is what is causing you and others to call me out on my hunting success. Gotta deflect and distract from the truth some how. Show me my statements are wrong and I will shut my mouth. The words are there on many sites yet you try to deny them.

I have no worries in any bar and as for proving the facts. Just read a few threads in here you will find the same words I put up as examples used by many bow hunters.  I always say many or most because I know not all are this way but when it is the over whelming  majority it is hard to separate the very few.

As for but hurt the only one but hurt are the bow hunters who do not like facts that the can not prove wrong. Especially when there own words are used against them.

Hunting seasons are supposed to be determined by wildlife biologists using science.  With the dawn of antler restriction I am not so sure.  My belief is based on page 32 in the New York State hunting regulations :  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/15huntguide.pdf

I understood that the three inch minimum for a buck to ensure it was not mistaken for a doe.  That regulation is good to maintain a larger doe to buck ratio.  Why change s regulation that has worked for years?

It appears that someone at NYSDEC has been convinced to turn deer hunting from a wildlife conservation program that is suppose to maintain a healthy whitetail deer herd into  “trophy deer hunting” to satisfy the desires of “trophy” hunters who want big antlers.  This turns hunting from a conservation program to a real blood sport. 

The real consequence of this is what it may do to change the attitude of the hunters’ greatest ally, all those non-hunters.  Many non-hunters support hunting because they understand hunting is a conservation program when done safely to reduce whitetail deer population to a healthy level.  What happens to their attitude when they see “trophy” hunters wanting to harvest deer based on antler size?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stubby68 said:

I bow hunted for quite a few years and never had a year when I didn't take deer. The neighbors didn't bow hunt in fact very few people around the area did so no worries of them getting deer before gun season. 

Actually I have put up pictures of the deer I have taken many times infact. You can tell nothing about someone from what they post on the internet. No matter what you think you know about them the truth is almost always far from what you think.

I rant about nothing. Rants are based on nothing but opinion.  Absolutely everything I have said about bow hunters is true. They are facts based on the exact words used by bow hunters every single time a thread like this comes up. Go to any hunting site and you can read the Samy words from many more bow hunters then just the ones here. All one needs to do is read the threads here they can quickly see the words from the b on hunters. Can you dispute this in any way? Are these statements and words I have used not words used by bow hunters? That fact that they are and that you can not dispute or prove false anything I have said is what is causing you and others to call me out on my hunting success. Gotta deflect and distract from the truth some how. Show me my statements are wrong and I will shut my mouth. The words are there on many sites yet you try to deny them.

I have no worries in any bar and as for proving the facts. Just read a few threads in here you will find the same words I put up as examples used by many bow hunters.  I always say many or most because I know not all are this way but when it is the over whelming  majority it is hard to separate the very few.

As for but hurt the only one but hurt are the bow hunters who do not like facts that the can not prove wrong. Especially when there own words are used against them.

I realize that on an internet forum, we can say anything and claim it as fact. However, pure BS is usually pretty easy to spot. When I read things where it is claimed that bowhunting is "too easy", that starts to flunk the BS test and just like all the other anti-hunting organizations and individuals, it reeks of just some more anti-hunting propaganda. I remember a few years back when animal rights organizations announced that their primary target in their anti-hunting campaign was going to be bowhunting. Well, it sounds like we are hearing from one of the infiltrators now.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, aboa13 said:

I would prefer antler restrictions rather then shorter seasons. Or earn a buck tag . Having to shoot a doe first . IMO

AR's don't work and that is proven for one.

My problem with earn a buck is that some people don't get shots at does. Where my dad and I hunt we haven't had a shot at a doe since 2014, so if we don't take whatever buck we can, we get nothing. So far this year I have seen one doe, at 100 yards. Although I will say this. The areas that have lots of does where the DEC has been begging people to shoot them and they won't, yes I think earn a buck is perfect in those areas. You see guys say that's all they see but they won't shoot them, well make them if they want a buck. If we had does like that around here I would have no problem with it, but we don't.

Stubby, the fact is you just keep saying the same thing over and over and it's that bowhunters think they're better than gun hunters...? Right? Well I'm here to tell you that the best hunters are the best bowhunters. I'm not saying that all gun hunters are slobs or anything of the sort, there are plenty of slob bowhunters also. You've yet to convince a single person that bowhunting is easy or somehow rifle season is harder, the only type of person that would claim that is someone who has never done it.
My point is, what's your end game here? To convince us all we shouldn't bowhunt? Should'nt call ourselves bowhunters? Should lobby for more gun seasons? Shame us into thinking it takes no skill to bowhunt? What is it?? You're rambling without a clear message, the only thing you're showing is hypocrisy. You're whining that bowhunters think they're the best and talk negatively about gun hunters, as a result you won't even bowhunt anymore? Yet you come into your public podium here to bitch about bowhunters and their lack of skill? Do you realize that you are doing the same exact thing your complaining about in reverse??

• Like 1