Late Season Soft mast trees...

Anyone know of any good brand Late Season/holding apple or pear trees, or any other good late season soft mass I could plant? I have quite a bit of early season Apples, crab apples and few pears. They start dropping in Septemeber, But they are about depleted now.. only a few apples left on the trees. Just trying to offer a variety and keep them on my property even more.. Also where i could maybe purchase them and not pay an arm and a leg. Please and Thanks. 

Toringo crabapple.   NYSDEC tree sale in april.  Think they're around $66 for 100.    Deer love white cedar.  Great combintion of cover and food.  They're young from them foot tall or so.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9395.html

I bought prarie willow, chestnut, red dogwood, white cedar, and white spruce from them.

This year will be more dogwood, white spruce, and white cedars.   IF the bill isn't too nuts, I'm adding toringo crabapple to it.  Going to pick up pussy willow or adler for my northen spot up in 6J.

The trees come to you local soil and water conservation office 3rd weekend in april.

• Like 5

Awesome, thank you! im cleaning out and sprucing up a ridge on one side of the property and another wood lot on the other side. 

Need some sort of pine to help screen them in, then some trees for food / cover would be great as well.  

Edited by LET EM GROW

flowering dogwood for berries and browse would be available into winter.

for apples most are ready by the time November arrives and not any longer.  macoun, granny smith, braeburn, are later into bow season. i know some pear trees ripen pretty late but don't know much about them.

red oaks will take longer to rot and will be there well into late season if not gobbled up after everything else with less tanins.

• Like 1

We have a ton of red oaks, they are literally everywhere on everyone. I"m liking the  dogwood, as well as others. The lady that owned this piece before us planted just about anything and everything flowering, berries, fruits etc.. but they are all maturing and or dying. Trying to put names to some of these and get them replaced before the neighbors do. lol I hope DEC offers the same as they did for 2017, i see myself spending some money, on my piece as well as my neighbors to improve everything wildlife.  

When I first bought my property, I did not have any food plots or other places that offered good hunting.   A few days before muzzleloading season, I'd cut down one or two maple trees.   Then I'd hunt over them.

When I do cut trees down, I try to do them in the winter.  I try to do them in early to mid january, so the bucks loose their sheds in them trying to get to the last of the buds.  A week later, I come back and cut down the high ones.   If another tree might topple over the one you just cut,  I usually cut all the limbs off the trunk.  I also cut the trunk as much into firewood chunks as I have time for.  Atleast cut them into 6 to 8 footers to let them dry out quicker.

Not a sustainable options, but if you gonna cut them down, might as well have wildlife benefit from it......

Also, on the DEC shrubs.  Expcet 20% of them to be on the small side.  I plant the little guys all close to each other, so I can transplant them in a year or two.......

Edited by sailinghudson25

Do they have planted instrcuations for row spacing and spacig between each shrub? Think im going to chose some red dogwood to screen a roadside with. I know people say not to use deer food as a screen and in most cases i would, but here the traffic is very low. I hate planting things that are of no benefit to anything. 

As for the maple trees, thats when i try to cut them down as well. For bud foods, my plots are destroyed already so i will most certainly be knocking some trees down this mid/late winter. The ridge I plan to work on, has nothing growing on the forest floor, Just lea flitter. Same with the hillside below it. Its all mostly younger dying Ash and some Maple, the ash are dying and some maple as well. Needs to be almost clear cut I think and started over.. with my hard and soft mast orchard

My chestnuts and the neighbors down the road are dropping their hulls now...huge chest nuts...I have Cortland they hold late..3 of my wild yellow are still holding the frozen apples...don't know what they are...I planted red and golden Delicious because they hold late and I believe Asian pears hold late If your going to invest...invest in the Dunstan chestnuts...Now if you want freebies...get an "island" of what ever crap tree and or dogwood bushes.... going then transplant wild grapes to them...or if you have a tower blind allow them to grow up that... Deer will hit those wild grapes hard especially after a frost you just need to confine them to the island so they don't mess with good trees. Do it right and you will have a great bedding spot as well in a rather short time compared to trees...Dunstans producing very well 3yr in and second year in... Then there are the hybrid persimmon so you know you'll get fruit...Get the cold hardiest you can and hybrids produce way sooner. they need male to female ...hybrids avoid that.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:36 AM, growalot said:

My chestnuts and the neighbors down the road are dropping their hulls now...huge chest nuts...I have Cortland they hold late..3 of my wild yellow are still holding the frozen apples...don't know what they are...I planted red and golden Delicious because they hold late and I believe Asian pears hold late If your going to invest...invest in the Dunstan chestnuts...Now if you want freebies...get an "island" of what ever crap tree and or dogwood bushes.... going then transplant wild grapes to them...or if you have a tower blind allow them to grow up that... Deer will hit those wild grapes hard especially after a frost you just need to confine them to the island so they don't mess with good trees. Do it right and you will have a great bedding spot as well in a rather short time compared to trees...Dunstans producing very well 3yr in and second year in... Then there are the hybrid persimmon so you know you'll get fruit...Get the cold hardiest you can and hybrids produce way sooner. they need male to female ...hybrids avoid that.

I'm interested in Dunstan Trees. How mature can I buy them? Are you saying they produce their 2nd year in? what size did you buy them and from where? Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks. I'm thinking maybe a 3 year old tree for $45- would that produce within a year or two? I'm thinking 3-5 trees probably.

Splurge on 4-5 of those 7 year olds and plant them at my place.  Of course, you can hunt that week too.  Only seems fair.

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Splurge on 4-5 of those 7 year olds and plant them at my place.  Of course, you can hunt that week too.  Only seems fair.

Haha. Watering multiple times a week for first few years seems impossible though, or is that only necessary if I was buying the really young trees?

I'll buy you one 7-year old tree in exchange for 7 full days hunting primetime in your best spot. lol

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Haha. Watering multiple times a week for first few years seems impossible though, or is that only necessary if I was buying the really young trees?

WE have a creek, so you would not need to carry the water far.  lol   I suspect you water in a tree when first planted and cross your fingers.

• Like 2

My dunstans were 4 to 5 ft whips..Never watered except.at.planting.. they produce in 2 or 3 years(few nuts) they were considered 3 year olds.. I may have a few nuts I can mail you if they frost crack and germ.. ill know in 3 months. I have american ,chineese. And dunstans.. crosses of each.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

My dunstans were 4 to 5 ft whips..Never watered except.at.planting.. they produce in 2 or 3 years(few nuts) they were considered 3 year olds.. I may have a few nuts I can mail you if they frost crack and germ.. ill know in 3 months. I have american ,chineese. And dunstans.. crosses of each.

Cool so they aren’t really producing till like 5-6 years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chestnuts grow very fast a 10 year old tree produces bushels of nuts.. 3 or 4 year old will make a quart.. the larger the crown the more nuts.. but you need to fence off them as deer will browse them to the ground.   You have to remember 1 of every 4 trees on the east coast was a chestnut.ti the bought got them.. they are a very valuable resource. 

• Like 1