Too much estrous doe scent?

pt0217

Yesterday afternoons hunt, I put some scent on my boots and gave a shake of the bottle out of my stand. Later a mature doe came in and winded me and pegged me from about 20 yards out. I feel I learned a valuable lesson. I washed all of my gear and am no longer going to use scent like that. I will still use it but I am going to be extra careful not to get it on me. A deer knows something's up when a doe in heat is 20 feet high in a tree.

I think light doses are fine. Their noses are so much better than ours. So we get the more is better thought in our heads. I learned many years ago canine trapping. Less is better with fox lure. It'll burn their noses like smelling salts as example. Moderation.

NOT that I've ever been to a strip club but when Mercedes has waaaaaayy too much perfume on it's a total turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I agree light applications are fine but then again I haven't had much luck using scents in the past. I can say I have not scared any off or been busted when the deer come in and sniff them but they do seem cautious or alert when they smell some "strange" in the area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, pt0217 said:

Yesterday afternoons hunt, I put some scent on my boots and gave a shake of the bottle out of my stand. Later a mature doe came in and winded me and pegged me from about 20 yards out. I feel I learned a valuable lesson. I washed all of my gear and am no longer going to use scent like that. I will still use it but I am going to be extra careful not to get it on me. A deer knows something's up when a doe in heat is 20 feet high in a tree.

I can't believe no one else pointed this out, but that doe had no idea the smell is coming from up in a tree. To her it's right there on the ground.