Boar tusk removal

greybeard

Has anyone here tried to remove boar tusks ? If so, I could use some help. I've done Euro mounts and cleaned a lot of skulls(mostly raccoon), but never worked on a boar

I cut the jaw off of a boar. to display it. I did NOT boil it, but I soaked it in boiling water a # of times with degreasing detergents as well as bleach. I cleaned out the tusks from the back of the jaw, but can't get them to come out to see if I got out all the junk inside. The jaws are VERY loose and can be moved back and forth, but just won't come out. I've continuously pulled them back and forth as well as kind of  sideways ....All visible meat, etc. if off of it.  I'd leave them as they are if I KNEW that they were clean.. Any ideas..

FWIW.....

Some pigs tusks can be amazingly long into the jaw, its more like they rotate out of the socket along their curvature then pull .

Personally I'd never use chlorine bleach on any skull, hydrogen peroxide is more effective to whiten and easier on the bone.

The wild tusks I have were cut out of the jaw, but I have a few other swine tusks that took some effort but did eventually dry enough to pull.

If it were me I'd go to a pool supply place and buy a gallon of hydrogen peroxide there and dilute it one part peroxide to 2 parts water and let that get down in there. This stuff is VERY strong, not even close to the stuff you buy in drug store, be careful working with  it; serious rubber gloves and eye protection. It will fizz and clean out any tissue left in there and rinse.  

Other option is have a beetle guy have at it and let the bugs get in there; lots of those skull guys around.

JMO

Thanks for that info...I did use some peroxide from a drug store, but I 'll check a local pool store for the stronger stuff...I thought pulling it while wet was better, so live and learn, I'll wait until it dries thanx.

I , originally, was going to just cut the tusks out and attach them to a plaque, but thought that I'd try the jaw mount after seeing some hanging .

Years back, I cleaned and Euro mounted quite a few coon skulls and never took out the teeth, but from what I read the boar  teeth and tusks  have to be taken out and  cleaned..

Did you mount the tusks on a plaque ??

10 hours ago, greybeard said:

Thanks for that info...I did use some peroxide from a drug store, but I 'll check a local pool store for the stronger stuff...I thought pulling it while wet was better, so live and learn, I'll wait until it dries thanx.

I , originally, was going to just cut the tusks out and attach them to a plaque, but thought that I'd try the jaw mount after seeing some hanging .

Years back, I cleaned and Euro mounted quite a few coon skulls and never took out the teeth, but from what I read the boar  teeth and tusks  have to be taken out and  cleaned..

Did you mount the tusks on a plaque ??

Just from my experience some teeth drop out easier dry and some will pull wet; its just like the nerve cavity you are trying to get at......sometimes a deep cavity, others not so much. I had one skull I tried and tried to get them out and all the sudden one day they just fell out.

But I have dumped peroxide up into horn cores that can't get the sheath off that had some odor and that cleaned them up. 

Mounted on an oak leave plaque similar to these, as I shot a decent boar in Europe;

https://www.frankonia-b2b.com/en/products/hunting-accessories/other/c.html

I'm on  newer laptop and can't get pics off old PC so don't have pics at hand or I'd post one.

Thanx for the info.. I would have liked to see the tusks but I can figure out how they''d look.

I may leave it and hope that thy just fall out like yours did....The smell seems to be gone, but maybe I'm just used to it ...When it dries I'll get a better idea of the odor .. It really looks clean from the rear, but not sure if there's any junk where I can't see.

Thanx again

Here's how the jaw looks so far. It looks like there's a little stuff in the tusks, but it may be  a change in tooth thickness... After it dries out totally I'll yank at those tusks, then I'll try the peroxide and if it looks good after it dries totally I'll seal it with mop and glo.If not I'll cut the tusks out .

Here's how it looks  as it dries

IMG_1416.jpg

Edited by greybeard
tusk sunk back into jaw
  • Like 1

Here's how the jaw looks so far. It looks like there's a little stuff in the tusks, but it may be  a change in tooth thickness... After it dries out totally I'll yank at those tusks, then I'll try the peroxide and if it looks good after it dries totally I'll seal it with mop and glo.If not I'll cut the tusks out .
Here's how it looks  as it dries
IMG_1416.thumb.jpg.f579bf7b88242a0d572fd932863dbb37.jpg

That was a big boy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cory.. I did  Euro mounts on over 40 coon skulls, and a couple of other skulls, but never bleached them. On this boar, I only took the lower jaw so I don't know how bleach would have affected the nose cavity. I did loose one tooth so maybe the bleach caused that.....

I used bleach on the boar because I had no experience in doing a boar and most ,if not all, of the  info that I read, or saw  stated that the hunters  used bleach. I, also, used it to disinfect it because of diseases that they carry. I'm not sure if it disinfects, but it eased my mind..( I wore heavy gloves when handling anyway.)

The boar that I shot years back was a shoulder mount which  I had done for me..... Thanx for that info