The Dreaded Shoulder Shot

Deadhunter25

Hey guys. Im wondering whats your experiences with shooting a deer in the shoulder? Specifically the scapula.

I shot a dandy this morning broadside 25 yards and the shot was a smidge high but double lung nonetheless. I would have put money down he was dead. He ran 50 yards with his tail tucked before I lost sight of him.

I went to grab the arrow and to my shock I only had 5" of penetration. Im shooting a bowtech prodigy 65lbs carbon express blue streak with muzzy trocars. Im dumbfounded. The only explanation could be his front leg was sticking back hiding the vitals more than I thought. It just happened so fast I dont recall.

My father and I gave the deer 2 hours and took up the trail hoping to get another shot off. He ran about 100 yards from the shot and bedded before we kicked him.

Im sure he will live IMG_9954.JPGIMG_9957.JPGbut Im wondering what are peoples experiences with these situations? I have shot 2 does this year both through the scapula unintentionally and blew through it like nothing. Is a mature bucks scapula thicker?

Anyways thanks in advance for advice/wisdom on this topic.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Is it possible you clipped a branch before it got to the deer? The "ridge" that runs down the shoulder blade is pretty thick and hard. A deer that beds 100 yds from the shot is hit pretty hard, how long after the shot did you jump him? Could you have hit the shoulder knuckle?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I hit a buck a few years back, my arrow clipped a branch and it still flew true but only stuck in about 5", right behind the shoulder. We gave it 4 hours and there wasn't a lot of blood to go on but we found him bedded and dead about 300yds away. 5" is more than it sounds at times. Hopefully you get lucky!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Deadhunter25 said:

With 5" penetration you think he can still die? I hear stories of deer living on one lung?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

of course it can still die, and I bet the stories of them dying with only one lung far out number the stories of them living with one.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

I wish you luck. Sounds like you might have hit the knuckle a little which scrubbed enough energy from the arrow to cause the low penetration.  

If you did hit one lung slightly, it could take awhile to succumb. 

I once hit a doe with a razorback 5 early in bow season.  Shot that same doe late gun.  The tell tail 5 star cut through both lower lungs. Entrance and exit we're in front of the diagram. Doe was fat and happy. At least until a 270 hit her...

I only have one experience with a shoulder shot and I got super lucky. I shot a doe high and only got about 7 or so inches of penetration. I gave it about 40 min to an hour before I got down to look at the blood. While i was waiting i saw a bunch of crows at almost ground level going crazy for a bit before leaving. When i got down and looked down that trail, the deer was down with in 60 yards. Ended up double lunging the deer anyway. I saw go back after him tomorrow and see what you find. Best of luck!