Southern opener windy weather

genesee_mohican

43 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

remember 2 years ago we got snow overnight for opening day - that was a good one for sure .  Our group brought out two bucks and had a shot at a third.  Sure dont like sitting in cold rain, thats about the worst. But will still be out there. 

Wasn't that last year? 70 degrees on Saturday and 20s and snow on sunday.

• Like 1

Yeah last year went from like 60 degrees at 0700 hours to about a quarter inch of sleet/snow by 1600 hours. The gang shot 2 buck last year the opening day. Sunday was snow and strong winds. As for this year predictions....yeah it is going to be a little wet on opening day. Either way I will be out there for about 11 hours unless I get luck and tag one sooner.

• Like 1

Hehehehe...I have wanted one ever since a buddy of mine let me sit in HIS  enclosed tower stand a couple of times several years ago...Over the last 50 + years of deer hunting, I have put in my time shivering in treestands, and on the ground in all kinds of weather...I still enjoy being out in the elements if the weather is REASONABLE...If not, it's TO THE TOWER  for me....Hehehehe...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

actually it was 3 years ago  2014- had to look at pics.  We had 2 inches of snow for the opener.  

yeah i remember opener last year - we didnt even see a deer.  

last year I was in a long sleeve t shirt in the stand  on Saturday and it started snowing on Sunday afternoon. By Monday evening, Tuesday morning there was 15" on the ground.  and I was wondering if I was going to get out for Thanksgiving dinner (WMU 7R)

• Like 1

this has me pretty bummed. i hunt 8f almost all year, but drive into 7J for the opener. It's a good change of scenery and even better food and beer at night. I remember about 4 or 5 openers ago it was a downpour and it suckedddddd... 

opening day is usually my only all day sit of the year, so I'm not sure I'll make it in if they add these type of winds to the rain.

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

this has me pretty bummed. i hunt 8f almost all year, but drive into 7J for the opener. It's a good change of scenery and even better food and beer at night. I remember about 4 or 5 openers ago it was a downpour and it suckedddddd... 

opening day is usually my only all day sit of the year, so I'm not sure I'll make it in if they add these type of winds to the rain.

Dunno where you go in 7J but I have staff that told me they saw a ton of deer and some nice bucks this morning that were driving thru 7J areas. (Hamilton) 

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

in all honesty it is Monday. I wouldn't put money on a forecast if they gave it to me on Thursday..lol. Maybe it will turn around. 

I hear ya there, but wunderground is one of the few sites that's accurate and it's been right on all fall. The system that is coming is large/widespread and winds will continue into Sunday.