Southern opener windy weather

genesee_mohican

I'll listen to the forecast after 5 pm Friday, until then it will change. Since noon yesterday I have seen forecast saying lake effect snow for Friday and Saturday, then not 5 hours later they said no snow until Sunday into Monday. Then I heard it was gonna rain all day on Saturday and how windy it was gonna be. Now the forecast is saying rain for a couple hours and winds gusting to 25 mph. That's it, 25? Just this last Friday it was blowing almost 50. Saturday is gonna be a cake walk it sounds like compared to this last Friday.

• Like 2

weather looks like it may me getting a little better.  For 7p Sat calls for a slight chance of rain/  wintery mix until the afternoon when it picks up to 60% chance. 

Feeling better all ready as I hate sitting in a ground blind which was plan B with all this rain that I thought was coming. 

The forecast seems to keep changing by the hour. I'm planning to proceed as normal, head up Friday afternoon, and hunt through Monday. Thought about a ground blind, but last year it was so windy one got blown into the creek, the other on wound up 50 yards from where I set it up, pinned against a couple trees....

There could be a damn tornado and id go out sat. the breaks in the rain on sat are going to be phenomenal hunting. Freezers full and i'm looking for a second wall hanger and getting my wife out to get her first in the afternoon. 

Deer move just fine in the rain. It’s the experience that suffers. Part of the fun of opener is a lot of hunters pushing deer. That is unlikely on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, the blur said:

I'm sitting out.  Don't want my gun to get wet.    I may melt too.

Sheesss, last year, I hunted 1/2 day in the rain.    It was miserable.      I had to buy clothes at Walmart.    and another jacket.   I was saturated.

You are kidding right ?! 

If not , slather some vagisil on. You’ll be ok. Crap weather or not , no way I’m missing opening day sit. 25+ mph winds and half inch of rain.  Yes , sucks but no happier place than the woods. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You are kidding right ?! 

If not , slather some vagisil on. You’ll be ok. Crap weather or not , no way I’m missing opening day sit. 25+ mph winds and half inch of rain.  Yes , sucks but no happier place than the woods. 

" slather some vagisil on"......Hehehehe... TF, you are my HERO  !!  Hehehehe...

• Like 1

I will hunt in heat. I'll hunt in cold. I'll hunt in snow. Cold rain? Not likely. It's an especially miserable experience and exceptionally cold one sitting in the rain in the 40s or high 30's. I'll take 20 F and windy over that any day. Based on current forecast I plan on spending my saturday morning drinking coffee in front of a laptop. 

wishing i could hunt from  ground blind- although i do hate them!  Where we gun hunt you have to be elevated as the brush is so bad.  Otherwise cant see more than 30 yards.  maybe i can wrap myself up in it to stay dry at least.  

And two guys on our lease already bailed for the gun opener so its just two of us this year - thats gonna be weird

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

wishing i could hunt from  ground blind- although i do hate them!  Where we gun hunt you have to be elevated as the brush is so bad.  Otherwise cant see more than 30 yards.  maybe i can wrap myself up in it to stay dry at least.  

And two guys on our lease already bailed for the gun opener so its just two of us this year - thats gonna be weird

30 yards isn't bad if it's the right 30 yards...lol. The goal is going to be to stay dry enough so you can stay out there. The question you have to ask yourself is are you better off a couple hours seeing further or being out all day and seeing less. 

• Like 2