Southern opener windy weather

genesee_mohican

We will be out no matter what. Only question is if it will be in a ladder stand or a chair blind. Both are set in good spots. Been a few years since I've got one on opening day. I usually pass up the small bucks and doe, that scoot by first thing, to make someone else happy, on the public land that borders ours. No matter the weather, my smile will be wide and bright, to make it to another opening day! This will be my 44th! Good luck all!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You are kidding right ?! 

If not , slather some vagisil on. You’ll be ok. Crap weather or not , no way I’m missing opening day sit. 25+ mph winds and half inch of rain.  Yes , sucks but no happier place than the woods. 

if i remember right you're not a bow hunter. Remember a lot of us have meat in the freezer and plenty of time in the woods. I've not missed an opener since i was 16. This one is tough.

1 hour ago, bushnell said:

I will sit til I get cold. Climb out of stand go for a walk and stop by some of the other guys, shoot the shit for a little and walk back to tree stand and climb back in for the rest of the day. Oh and head to the laundromat to get my clothes dry for Sunday.

If I walked to any of my other guys I'd catch a bullet lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

30 yards isn't bad if it's the right 30 yards...lol. The goal is going to be to stay dry enough so you can stay out there. The question you have to ask yourself is are you better off a couple hours seeing further or being out all day and seeing less. 

And right now the forecast for Sunday is possible heavy lake effect.  Will prob only be able to see that far

• Like 2

Wow do I ever feel sorry for you guys who don't have one in the freezer.. Im thinking of my options Saturday and I think vagisil and FRESH tenderloins for breakfast are in order. har har har.

IN all seriousness,  looks shitty. Duck opener it rained all day. Literally. Non stop. And was windy. I think I will don my camo waders, throw on the camo raincoat and stuff some orange over that for the wet layer.  The question is is it worth it or not.  Not sure I ever shot deer in the wind, not sure I have even seen much in the wind.

• Like 2

In all seriousness.   Sitting in the rain is not enjoyable.   Hunting or not.   It's not what I wanta do.     Cold doesn't bother me.    Wind sucks, but I deal with it.    Rain is just not for me.

Having said that, I know Deer move in the rain more than they move in high winds.   But to each his own hunt.

and yes, age has something to do with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Wow do I ever feel sorry for you guys who don't have one in the freezer.. Im thinking of my options Saturday and I think vagisil and FRESH tenderloins for breakfast are in order. har har har.

IN all seriousness,  looks shitty. Duck opener it rained all day. Literally. Non stop. And was windy. I think I will don my camo waders, throw on the camo raincoat and stuff some orange over that for the wet layer.  The question is is it worth it or not.  Not sure I ever shot deer in the wind, not sure I have even seen much in the wind.

I know I've NEVER shot one from my living room Al.  And have gotten lucky here and there in some pretty nasty conditions, in the deer woods. 

• Like 1

I shot at one from my living room few years ago. Missed it..

EDIT: I stand corrected. I now recall 3 years ago I think it was toward the end of bow season. Looking out the window during lunch.  A buck was about 10 yards from my window and stuck its tongue out at me. It was windy, a small amount of very very light snow was coming down and it was noon or 1.

Edited by Al Bundy

16 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I shot at one from my living room few years ago. Missed it..

Have to make sure the barrel is all the way outside the door when you do that. It's damn loud inside when you don't. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

This is just outside my living room. Put it up the other night just in case.

It's screwed to the deck with fender washers holding it down. It's not going anywhere in that wind.

DeckBlind.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, the blur said:

In all seriousness.   Sitting in the rain is not enjoyable.   Hunting or not.   It's not what I wanta do.     Cold doesn't bother me.    Wind sucks, but I deal with it.    Rain is just not for me.

Having said that, I know Deer move in the rain more than they move in high winds.   But to each his own hunt.

and yes, age has something to do with it.

Agree, it just plain sucks. Cold rain is without equal when it comes to miserable weather. I will just have no part of it.

Not 1 of you would take a shower with your rifle,  so why hunt in the rain :taunt:    kolobok_heat.gif

Screw the rifle, it’s me that I don’t want getting soaked while sitting in a tree. Hunted in rain for many years with no issues with my guns. Dry them out and oil them, good as new. Idk about you but I oil everything before it goes back in the gun cabinet, so there’s really not any extra effort here.
  • Like 1