This fawn is the only one I have ever seen with spots this late in the season. Im guessing the doe had to have been bred very late for this to happen. The time is one hour off, but the date is right. I was pretty surprised to see this.

IMAG0458.JPG

• Like 1

wow i guess so.  Have seen some real little ones that could walk right under a 3 rail fence in the fall, even one time a little spike that i bet weighed 45 pounds but never one with spots still like that.  Hope she makes it thru the winter thats such a late start 

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hope she makes it thru the winter thats such a late start 

Sheeeeit...., she'll be lucky to make it through the first hour of opening day!

That's a rare one no doubt!

I'm sure there's at least one slobbering gun hunter on the block looing to add one of those to his list of accomplishments,lol! :DuckHuntingSmiley:

• Like 5

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

If she makes it through the first week of weather not getting out of the 30s she will be lucky.  Especially if mom doesnt make it past opening day.

My mother would have had a fit if i was outside in that outfit in November

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Until this morning I has never seen one that small this time of the year..   I'm betting the one I saw this morning wasn't 2 months old.. tops

They are going to have a tough winter. Especially  if mama doesn't make it

wow... never seen that before.  hoping gun hunters realize she has a young fawn and decide to pass on her.  although some people on this forum might want to shoot both... lol.. mom looks healthy..  thanks for sharing

• Like 1

I saw one behind my house a few yrs back. I was thinking hard if I really just saw a fawn with spots, around the same time as your pic late bow.

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Took this pic on Dec 3rd few yrs back. 

If you look closely you can see the rows of spots along the spine.

IMG_20161031_173700090.jpg

doesn't appear to be a yearling doe.  maybe just one of the last one to come in last year? where you hunt i can't imagine see got bred later from lack of bucks. if the doe lives the fawn just might.  that big warm body blocking the wind and being a heat source will come in handy when winter weather is in full effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

That's typical in areas with a high doe to buck ratio... Bucks can't breed all the does in the first or second rut, some get bred into January... Never good.. Have one similar sized but no spots... told the guys I hunt with not to shoot the doe, give the fawn a chance.. 

I never shoot a doe that is with fawns but that is just me.  I don't need the meat that badly but I would say 90% of the guys I hunt with could care less.  I'd rather take a doe by itself!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 4:49 PM, JaredA WNY8G said:

wow... never seen that before.  hoping gun hunters realize she has a young fawn and decide to pass on her.  although some people on this forum might want to shoot both... lol.. mom looks healthy..  thanks for sharing

Given the odds of the fawn surviving the winter, one could make the argument that the humane thing to do would be to shoot it. However, I suspect that many hunters would not be willing to burn a doe tag for so little meat. I don't know what the right answer is.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, goosifer said:

Given the odds of the fawn surviving the winter, one could make the argument that the humane thing to do would be to shoot it. However, I suspect that many hunters would not be willing to burn a doe tag for so little meat. I don't know what the right answer is.

Get a hold of Wolc. He will shoot it. Be able to drag that sucker out without setting his socks wet. 

"We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world. The first step – in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come – is to teach men to shoot!"

Semper Fi

22 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I see the Covert still taking some fine pictures.

A couple of mine are still chugging along. Im swapping them out to Brownings as they die.

with no winter coat it’s toast it will freeze to death by the end of next week

Took this pic on Dec 3rd few yrs back. 
If you look closely you can see the rows of spots along the spine.

IMG_20161031_173700090.thumb.jpg.70ad58e308eca4c7d64391bfb5e24d18.jpg
This isn't too uncommon with 1.5yr old deer, I've seen it many times, I got video of a 1.5yr old buck just last year at 5 yds with the dots along the spine, I'm not sure that it's an indicator of being born late.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chrisw said:

This isn't too uncommon with 1.5yr old deer, I've seen it many times, I got video of a 1.5yr old buck just last year at 5 yds with the dots along the spine, I'm not sure that it's an indicator of being born late.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This doe wasn't 1 1/2 yrs old.  Doubt she weighed 50lbs.  Shot and or seen hundreds of 1 1/2 yr olds. Not once have I seen spots like you mentioned on any of them.