Late born fawn

WNYBuckHunter

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hope she makes it thru the winter thats such a late start 

Sheeeeit...., she'll be lucky to make it through the first hour of opening day!

That's a rare one no doubt!

I'm sure there's at least one slobbering gun hunter on the block looing to add one of those to his list of accomplishments,lol! :DuckHuntingSmiley:

• Like 5

doesn't appear to be a yearling doe.  maybe just one of the last one to come in last year? where you hunt i can't imagine see got bred later from lack of bucks. if the doe lives the fawn just might.  that big warm body blocking the wind and being a heat source will come in handy when winter weather is in full effect.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:49 PM, JaredA WNY8G said:

wow... never seen that before.  hoping gun hunters realize she has a young fawn and decide to pass on her.  although some people on this forum might want to shoot both... lol.. mom looks healthy..  thanks for sharing

Given the odds of the fawn surviving the winter, one could make the argument that the humane thing to do would be to shoot it. However, I suspect that many hunters would not be willing to burn a doe tag for so little meat. I don't know what the right answer is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, goosifer said:

Given the odds of the fawn surviving the winter, one could make the argument that the humane thing to do would be to shoot it. However, I suspect that many hunters would not be willing to burn a doe tag for so little meat. I don't know what the right answer is.

Get a hold of Wolc. He will shoot it. Be able to drag that sucker out without setting his socks wet. 

Took this pic on Dec 3rd few yrs back. 
If you look closely you can see the rows of spots along the spine.

IMG_20161031_173700090.thumb.jpg.70ad58e308eca4c7d64391bfb5e24d18.jpg
This isn't too uncommon with 1.5yr old deer, I've seen it many times, I got video of a 1.5yr old buck just last year at 5 yds with the dots along the spine, I'm not sure that it's an indicator of being born late.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chrisw said:

This isn't too uncommon with 1.5yr old deer, I've seen it many times, I got video of a 1.5yr old buck just last year at 5 yds with the dots along the spine, I'm not sure that it's an indicator of being born late.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This doe wasn't 1 1/2 yrs old.  Doubt she weighed 50lbs.  Shot and or seen hundreds of 1 1/2 yr olds. Not once have I seen spots like you mentioned on any of them.