Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Padre86
      I'm looking for feedback on which pistol cartridges are ideal for dispatching black bear and deer.
      I need a good sidearm to carry along for tracking and dispatching wounded game.  I will always rely on a rifle or shotgun if I believe the animal's wounds are marginal.  But for those situations where the animal's wounds are fatal but it life still lingers, I would like a reliable, widely available and effective pistol cartridge for dispatching it.

The cartridges I am considering for this application:
      .357 magnum 10mm auto .44 magnum .41 magnum .454 casull I would prefer a revolver for its simplicity and reliability for shooting big cartridges.  As well, I really don't see the need for anything more than 6-8 shot capacity for this use.  That said, I would consider a semi-auto if the case for 10mm's usefulness can be made.  
      With regards to the magnum cartridges and bears: I've seen a lot of people preach that "bigger is better."  And while I acknowledge that something like a .44 magnum or .454 casull are well-regarded for killing big game, I would prefer a cartridge that is adequate for handling black bear rather than one that is overkill, if that makes sense.  I have given .357 magnum much consideration for this reason.
      I would like to hear feedback from those that have experience with these cartridges, or perhaps others that I haven't considered.  
    • By Andy K. 3/2018
      300 acres of mostly wooded property available to lease for hunting on beef farm that grazes, grows grains, soybeans and hay on remaining 200 acres.  Plenty of game and privacy.  ATV's only for setting up stands and bringing out game.  Small group of safety-minded hunters receive exclusive access.  Good neighbors are respectful of boundaries.  2.5 hours from NYC.  $5000/year.  Call Andy at 607-829-5592 or email  kiralyfarm@frontiernet.net
    • By downrangedude
      downrangedude here, a quirky and not-so-cool but cool sports enthusiast. Loves to hunt, fish, snowboard and camp more than hamburgers. I am yet another outdoor guy from Texas who loves to brag all I know, and FYI I know a lot.
    • By AndyM830
      Hello,
      i know this is a long shot but I am looking for a lease  for the 2018 season and beyond within an hour of Albany. The lease is mostly for deer hunting but would also maybe hunt bear and turkey. The lease would be for myself and 1-2 other hunters. We are responsible ethical hunters who would sign a liability agreement and follow all land owners rules. Ideally this will be a long term lease. The only reason I’m looking for new hunting land is I have a 1 year old son and want to hunt closer to home to be able to spend more time with him.  I have tried that invention called google and have also called most farms in my area. If you don’t have land to lease maybe you may be able to steer me in the direction of 1. I’m trying to avoid state land so I can hang cameras and stands and I like knowing where other hunters are in the area. Thanks for any help

andy
    • By alplausoutdoorsman
      Any farmers/farms in 5H or surrounding able to let me hunt on their land? I'm a new 17 year old Hunter.