Missing opening day

Borngeechee

Just hunt the public land I hunt, not too many deer so no shooting to scare you!!

We hunt public land almost every opener. Have only been shot a couple times. Nothing serious, we all know from the season length thread that the pumkin army can't shoot worth a damn so usually nothing more than a limb or flesh wound. Good war stories for the bar at noon getting liquored up before we go in to start driving everything from Granny's back yard to the town center!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just hunt the public land I hunt, not too many deer so no shooting to scare you!!

We hunt public land almost every opener. Have only been shot a couple times. Nothing serious, we all know from the season length thread that the pumkin army can't shoot worth a damn so usually nothing more than a limb or flesh wound. Good war stories for the bar at noon getting liquored up before we go in to start driving everything from Granny's back yard to the town center!

988f538757ceddeab5dfe9f298368789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

and enjoy the drag of deer back out

Couldn't pay me enough to hunt public ground on opener.  Darien lake state park will be a crap show

People are lazy as hell, though. Guess at how far the average 50 year old wants to walk. Now divide that by two or three and that's how far they actually walk. Go a bit further and you won't see a soul.

1 hour ago, tarheel95 said:

I live by cranberry mountain. Sounded like the Tet Offensive last year. I don't know about the deer, but I was certainly afraid to get out of bed for a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprised. 1 square mile park close to major cities. I doubt there was a deer left three hours in except ones that were bedded and never moved again during daylight.

I'm hoping that the crap-weather will get people wandering around trying to get warm and perhaps they will have deer moving like never before. Of course that may be wishful thinking and probably it is more likely that they will be huddled in their cars with the heaters blasting.......lol. Actually, when you think about it, it probably will be a great still-hunting day ... right?? Wind covering noise, and maybe keeping wind direction more uni-directional and obvious. wet leaves muffling the crunch. and the splattering of the rain making even more cover-noise. So you can either take advantage of all that and join the wandering crowds of state land hunters, or get stubborn and hunker in and let them "drive" deer for you.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, Doc said:

I'm hoping that the crap-weather will get people wandering around trying to get warm and perhaps they will have deer moving like never before. Of course that may be wishful thinking and probably it is more likely that they will be huddled in their cars with the heaters blasting.......lol. Actually, when you think about it, it probably will be a great still-hunting day ... right?? Wind covering noise, and maybe keeping wind direction more uni-directional and obvious. wet leaves muffling the crunch. and the splattering of the rain making even more cover-noise. So you can either take advantage of all that and join the wandering crowds of state land hunters, or get stubborn and hunker in and let them "drive" deer for you.

A tiny, and I mean a tiny, part of me wants to hunt public land in the rain tomorrow just as a sort of self flagellation. Almost out of spite. Something to be said about it. I know a spot on public land that I don't believe is highly pressured and it gets a decent bit of deer. It's not pressured cause it sucks to get to. Pulling a deer out would be a treat but it would make for a hearty bit of exercise.