The End

Lawdwaz

As Tacks eluded to earlier, the end of the early archery season is almost on us.  Although I love hunting with the rifle and look forward to it each year, archery is when I'm the happiest.  I know many of you feel the same way.

Next year will be my 42 year of legally hunting for deer in NYS, thanks to the Junior Archery Season that I jumped on in the fall of '76.  I say "legally" because there might have been a time or two my old stomping buddy Steve and I carried some broadhead tipped arrows while hunting squirrels prior to being "with tag".  Maybe not too.......... :)

Since I was just a early single digit youngster I was in love with the bow.  Grama Eleanor  let me shoot some arrows in her backyard one day but then almost had a heart attack when she spotted me be a typical 7 year old, shooting arrows straight up then running like hell.

Of course I'm happy with my archery season this year but wish I could have had more time in the saddle and better weather.  Hopefully I can get out Friday morning and get a crack at a doe......that'd be nice.

Here's to October 1st 2018  CHEERS!

• Like 19

As Tacks eluded to earlier, the end of the early archery season is almost on us.  Although I love hunting with the rifle and look forward to it each year, archery is when I'm the happiest.  I know many of you feel the same way.
Next year will be my 42 year of legally hunting for deer in NYS, thanks to the Junior Archery Season that I jumped on in the fall of '76.  I say "legally" because there might have been a time or two my old stomping buddy Steve and I carried some broadhead tipped arrows while hunting squirrels prior to being "with tag".  Maybe not too..........
Since I was just a early single digit youngster I was in love with the bow.  Grama Eleanor  let me shoot some arrows in her backyard one day but then almost had a heart attack when she spotted me be a typical 7 year old, shooting arrows straight up then running like hell.
Of course I'm happy with my archery season this year but wish I could have had more time in the saddle and better weather.  Hopefully I can get out Friday morning and get a crack at a doe......that'd be nice.

Amen. Friday morning is my last chance too and another doe would be sweeeeeeet. I had a decent season, met a few of my criteria for a great archery season. Got a buck and a doe, got a look at a true monster, didn't really see any rut action though. Didn't get hurt and neither did anyone on the forum or in my group so thank the lord for that
  • Like 4

This is my third year hunting. This season will likely go like the first two, which is stronger focus on bow. Weather is better, less pressure, and I push hard to try and get something in the freezer and then lower stress. 

This season has gone great. Been out 9-10 times, seen deer every time, had bow-shots chances on deer 4-5 of those times. Saw a huge buck I had to pass due to lack of tag because I had gotten a buck in October. Had my first double, with two deer by vertical in the same morning, then my first xbow. I feel okay saying all this because last year was absolutely brutal. Terrible grind. Last day of bow is sad but last day of muzzleloader after 2.5 months in a row of no success is much worse (public land sucks)!

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Agreed, my son asked me tonight if I could always hunt with a gun all season would I, not a chance bows the way to go. My passion level drops off after bow season.

My dad bought his original parcel of land back in 82 or 83 so my childhood was Daisy red riders, crossman pellet guns and a nice Hoyt bow. My dad would get these large paper targets with a deer on it and tape them to cardboard and rest again bales of hay and I'd shoot all the time. When were kids we also would sling arrow straight up thru the trees then run like hell, fun times. My son has really turned up his passion for hunting this yr and made me watch YouTube videos of kids shooting their first deer tonight. Sadly he's got a few more yrs before it gets real for him.

• Like 5

My #1 goal was to see my 13 year old grandson get his first deer, this bow season. That didn't pan out due to various reasons, some my fault, some beyond our control. But we shared some good woods time together, thats the most important thing.  And we are not done yet!  Shot what sadly may be my last bow buck, due to continuing shoulder and health issues. But if so, I'm sure my grandson will allow me to tag along. I will be in the bow woods as long as the good Lord lets me!!!  And the high point of this bow season for me, was going out to WNY to hunt with moog and phade. And also meet some really awesome members while there. So on to gun season, which will end for me on the 26th. Got a week to hunt, so got to cram as much fun and memories into that as possible! Already looking forward to October of 18 too Larry!

• Like 4

I’m only into my second year hunting with a bow and have yet to take one but I kinda feel the same way. I don’t know if it’s the projected forecast for opening day or what but I do not feel all giddy about Saturday. I would have loved to take one with the bow so there was no pressure on gun season to get one. Not everything works out like we want so I’ll be out there Saturday braving the weather in hopes on getting something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m only into my second year hunting with a bow and have yet to take one but I kinda feel the same way. I don’t know if it’s the projected forecast for opening day or what but I do not feel all giddy about Saturday. I would have loved to take one with the bow so there was no pressure on gun season to get one. Not everything works out like we want so I’ll be out there Saturday braving the weather in hopes on getting something.

Same here. I'm usually pretty excited for the gun opener but that forecast means it won't be an enjoyable sit that's for sure
  • Like 1

My wife and I only made it out 4x each this bow season, which is sad since its my favorite and the best time to be out. But my work, the wifes work and the kids and their book of events, prevented us from getting out much. Not a big deal at all, their only young once. My wife missed 2 doe and got busted drawing an a 3rd, she was pretty bummed. Ive got video of her miss, just trying to figure out how to upload it.. As for myself getting out 4x, and strategically picking where to sit based on winds and recent deer movement via trail cam, I saw deer each time, passed a handful of younger bucks (no shots on doe) and missing my #1 buck. I would say my season could have been much worse.. I'm safe, didnt wound any critters, and deer season is still open. First doe that comes by gets the hammer.. 

Mama wants venison! :)

Good luck all!!

On 11/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, Lawdwaz said:

I just literally laughed out loud when I read this. I don't think any kid with a bow didn't do this. I remember shooting one and it landing on the garage with my dad inside. I can remember him coming out and asking what the hell is wrong with me? haha I just wanted to see how far I could shoot it in the air. He shakes his head tells me not to do it anymore then I proceed to go in the fresh cut field out back behind the house and continue to do it. But instead for for distance.

My bow season ended last weekend. I was unable to get out as much as most years, but when i did i had a great season. I saw a lot of deer and had a chance at a great 10 pointer that i blew. I always love bow season because of the all of the deer action and that you get to witness the woods changing from summer to fall. That being said, i am ready to get out the shotgun his weekend and hopefully get another chance at that buck. 

All most the mid way point for me, I did the big ADK trip but my back issues are hampering me this year.  I might go upstate one more time on an awesome property if invited but I will probably use the bow for the rest of the season till February including the upstate trip if I go.  So for me I am a long way from finished with the bow, almost half way there. 

Edited by NFA-ADK

Well indeed it is the end. For the season I did a total of 31 sits. I spent 52 hrs. sitting in stands and couldn't tell ya how much scouting.

For bow season I saw a total of 75 deer.

23 were bucks

28 were does and 24 I could not tell.

I wasn't able to get any shots at anything decent and passed on the little ones.

I played  cat and mouse with two wall hangers and they won.

Except for the shots echoing around the area of guys sighting their guns between 3:00 & 4:30 it was a nice and quite day to end the season. I had four doe run by and stop broadside at 4:45 just as I was leaving after a 2 1/2 hr. sit. (Go figure)

I will go through the motions during gun season,  enjoy my time in the woods,  and there is only 318 days til October first.

My Views today.:

IMG_20171117_143528[1].jpg

IMG_20171117_162321[1].jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Sad to that it's over. Late season we get another crack but not the same. I also wish I could have taken more time to sit. But shooting all off season is fun for me to.

Do you have much success in the late season? I didn’t do the late season last year my thought was it would be a bust as they would still be skiddish.

I burnt my tag this morning on a doe. As I pulled up to where I have been parking, there was a truck already there. The farmer got out and had a young man with him (10 yr. old boy). He asked if i could take him along because he had never been and was interested. So I grabbed a small blind out of my trunk and had company for my sit.

It was still mostly dark so I told him we weren't going to worry about noise, we just needed to get up on the hill. Of course he wanted to grab a Gator, but I said we would walk. He really wasn't fond of the dark, being a city kid, but he was a trooper with a little encouragement. We made it up on the saddle with enough light to set up the blind and anchor it down. He thought it was pretty cool to be sitting in it in the middle of the woods, but of course, he had to pee right off the bat. No biggee just pick a tree.

Well, we got to hear and then see a bunch of turkeys right off the bat, along with all the squirrels eating acorns. This kid was a sponge trying to learn about nature. Then , I could hear the crunching of bigger animals coming up from the swamp, and I told him where to watch. Sure as can be, here comes four doe up over the knoll about 60 yards away. He was wanting me to shoot and was about losing his mind actually seeing deer in the woods. 

I told him we had to wait for them to get a lot closer. They were pretty leery of the blind, but they kept feeding their way towards us until they were at 30 yards. I had already showed him the trees they needed to get to before I could shoot, and he was ready. He was so excited I told him we were going to let them get even closer. He was a nervous wreck and starting to spook the deer a little when they got within 20 yards. I told him I couldn't miss now . 

So, I draw my bow and hit the top of the damn blind because I have never shot my bow out of it before. So, I had to squat a little more, and make darn sure I wasn't going to hit something with my limbs or arrow. Everything was clear so i took the shot. Perfect pass thru right behind the shoulder and she went running back towards the swamp with the others, and I thought I could hear her crash.

Obviously, he wanted to go charging out, but we waited for 15 minutes and stepped out. We walked over to where she stood, and I showed him where she wheeled around in the leaves. He saw the hair right off the bat and asked where it came from. I showed him another broadhead and told him it cut on its way through. He asked about blood, and I said we had to follow her tracks and find it. 10 yards away the blood started and never stopped. I let him track it until he almost stepped on her. This kid is hooked. 

I let him help with the gutting and help drag it out to the edge of the woods. I could just tell this was a great and exciting experience for him. I let him call his dad to bring up the gator so he could drive it down in the barnyard to show everyone. He had blood up to his elbows and he had to tell everyone the story. He is a natural. This is why I help kids and women so much.

• Like 6

I burnt my tag this morning on a doe. As I pulled up to where I have been parking, there was a truck already there. The farmer got out and had a young man with him (10 yr. old boy). He asked if i could take him along because he had never been and was interested. So I grabbed a small blind out of my trunk and had company for my sit.
It was still mostly dark so I told him we weren't going to worry about noise, we just needed to get up on the hill. Of course he wanted to grab a Gator, but I said we would walk. He really wasn't fond of the dark, being a city kid, but he was a trooper with a little encouragement. We made it up on the saddle with enough light to set up the blind and anchor it down. He thought it was pretty cool to be sitting in it in the middle of the woods, but of course, he had to pee right off the bat. No biggee just pick a tree.
Well, we got to hear and then see a bunch of turkeys right off the bat, along with all the squirrels eating acorns. This kid was a sponge trying to learn about nature. Then , I could hear the crunching of bigger animals coming up from the swamp, and I told him where to watch. Sure as can be, here comes four doe up over the knoll about 60 yards away. He was wanting me to shoot and was about losing his mind actually seeing deer in the woods. 
I told him we had to wait for them to get a lot closer. They were pretty leery of the blind, but they kept feeding their way towards us until they were at 30 yards. I had already showed him the trees they needed to get to before I could shoot, and he was ready. He was so excited I told him we were going to let them get even closer. He was a nervous wreck and starting to spook the deer a little when they got within 20 yards. I told him I couldn't miss now . 
So, I draw my bow and hit the top of the damn blind because I have never shot my bow out of it before. So, I had to squat a little more, and make darn sure I wasn't going to hit something with my limbs or arrow. Everything was clear so i took the shot. Perfect pass thru right behind the shoulder and she went running back towards the swamp with the others, and I thought I could hear her crash.
Obviously, he wanted to go charging out, but we waited for 15 minutes and stepped out. We walked over to where she stood, and I showed him where she wheeled around in the leaves. He saw the hair right off the bat and asked where it came from. I showed him another broadhead and told him it cut on its way through. He asked about blood, and I said we had to follow her tracks and find it. 10 yards away the blood started and never stopped. I let him track it until he almost stepped on her. This kid is hooked. 
I let him help with the gutting and help drag it out to the edge of the woods. I could just tell this was a great and exciting experience for him. I let him call his dad to bring up the gator so he could drive it down in the barnyard to show everyone. He had blood up to his elbows and he had to tell everyone the story. He is a natural. This is why I help kids and women so much.

Great job coonhunter!