I plan on going up to New York for opening day till Monday , have some questions and concerns , I’m gonna be hunting near cortland , and seems thier calling for rain and wind Saturday and some snow on Sunday , with the rain and wind and then the snow do you guys even think the deer will be out moving and be givin any opertunity ? And it says cortland is supost to get about a inch , but with lake affect could that turn out to be alot more then they exspect ? I’m from pa any advice or help would be appreciated thank you

t

14 minutes ago, Cowboys518 said:

I plan on going up to New York for opening day till Monday , have some questions and concerns , I’m gonna be hunting near cortland , and seems thier calling for rain and wind Saturday and some snow on Sunday , with the rain and wind and then the snow do you guys even think the deer will be out moving and be givin any opertunity ? And it says cortland is supost to get about a inch , but with lake affect could that turn out to be alot more then they exspect ? I’m from pa any advice or help would be appreciated thank you

t

No better day than the Opening Day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, silent death said:

Lol i dont know if i wanna use my shotgun or rifle on opening day we are suppose to have 25mph winds. 

I know what you’re saying but why would you rather use the shotgun?

What does the wind speed have to do with the Gun used?

The deer will move under any conditions if the hunters are moving. As soon as the woods becomes filled with human stink, and the sound of guns, natural feeding and bedding patterns go out the window. The movement is caused by human pressure primarily. And that will happen regardless of the weather.

However with the wind howling and everything soaked up, you will have to be on your "A"- game as far as staying alert and paying attention. The wind keeps them in a torqued-up condition where they are super wary, and they don't give you any advanced warning that they're coming. 

7 hours ago, silent death said:
7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

The rifle can at the very least out run the wind.  Heck, 30+mph winds can blow a deer slug BACKWARDS. 

its more how deer are gonna be really if it is windy the deer tend to stick to thick cover where i hunt so the shotgun will be better. 

Yea no

Ok I'm a hunter so I look forward to OD, but I can't remember the last year I killed a buck on OD, well I do it was idk 6,7 years ago .  Mostly by choice as a gun buck has to be bigger then my bow buck , this year any buck would be ..... If it's raining hard I'll sit as long as I can in the AM and that may be it for the day .

No big deal to me the older bucks survived a few seasons, most will make it past Sat .

• Like 2