hunting in the rain (have any tips to share?)

goosifer

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

dude. that's not even hunting lol.

It's gun season. That isn't hunting anyways, right? lmao. They are sure nice on days like Saturday. The big one looks over a big hillside behind it and when the wind is out of the south they flock to it and still work the bottom. It's a north facing hill so it will be totally shielded on Saturday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Culver, I think that all day rain on OD may have been ‘96 or ‘97 ? 

I say that as my FIL died In late ‘97 and I remember drying our hunting clothes at his house eating lunch with him and going back out that day .

I also shot a 7pt and a Doe on that OD. 

Sat. I’m   Layering up in gore Tex and sitting on a field they cross early, should also be the Lee side of the woods . Last a couple hours and I’ll be back Sun and Mon.

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It's gun season. That isn't hunting anyways, right? lmao. They are sure nice on days like Saturday. The big one looks over a big hillside behind it and when the wind is out of the south they flock to it and still work the bottom. It's a north facing hill so it will be totally shielded on Saturday. 

I would live in one of those for gun season. Haha 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I say that as my FIL died In late ‘97 and I remember drying our hunting clothes at his house eating lunch with him and going back out that day .

Sat. I’m   Layering up in gore Tex and sitting on a field they cross early, should also be the Lee side of the woods . Last a couple hours and I’ll be back Sun and Mon.

That could very well be. I remember the gun I was carrying but couldn't remember the exact year. It literally poured from start to finish.  

• Like 1

Since opening day is going to be raining and very windy in many parts of NY this weekend, I was wondering if anyone had any practical tips they'd like to share for hunting in the rain and or extreme wind (20mph+) as far as clothing and equipment go. I know this question is casting a rather broad net, but I figure we can make it a useful thread for everyone. One specific question I had was if I should rub my gun with some rem oil on the outside of it and cover the end of the barrel with a finger cot (like a small condom, no ribs) to keep water out (I do this for my muzzleloader)

One thing that has been a game changer for me hunting in widely variable conditions has been switching from any synthetic inner layers to all natural. Merino wool, silk, lambs wool sweaters, that kind of stuff. Really anything but cotton or “Dri Fit” stuff. I stay way more comfortable for longer. It also doesn’t start stinking nearly as fast. If I’m stand hunting I’ll pack in with nothing more than a base layer on top, even if it’s super cold. Then put all my other layers (insulators/gore-tex) on in the tree over my harness. Also, bump the umbrella suggestion. I’m a big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Forecast looks like we're catching a break in 5R with dry skies til noon.  Regardless, being in the best spot trumps comfort (like sitting in a cozy ground blind).  I'll be in a pine tree dressed in Cabela's MT050 that repells the rain and wind for when the weather ultimately turns.  Other than that, I have flip-up scope covers to keep the lenses clear and the infamous Cabela's muff to keep my hands warm & dry.  Hopefully, I'll be dragging one out before any of this stuff becomes necessary!

16 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I Know there was one in the early 2000's. Maybe even just 6 or 7 years ago. All day pouring shit rain.

17 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

17 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That could very well be. I remember the gun I was carrying but couldn't remember the exact year. It literally poured from start to finish.  

The another year it poured on OD was 2005 or 2004 I think I sat in the tree stand no umbrella or anything and was soaked after 3 hours I had to go in and my clothes felt like they were 100lbs.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:23 AM, goosifer said:

Since opening day is going to be raining and very windy in many parts of NY this weekend, I was wondering if anyone had any practical tips they'd like to share for hunting in the rain and or extreme wind (20mph+) as far as clothing and equipment go. I know this question is casting a rather broad net, but I figure we can make it a useful thread for everyone. One specific question I had was if I should rub my gun with some rem oil on the outside of it and cover the end of the barrel with a finger cot (like a small condom, no ribs) to keep water out (I do this for my muzzleloader)

You can use a condom but you'll need a magnum size one if you're shooting magnum loads.

It does not sound too tomorrow terrible here in zone 9F.  The rain is not supposed to start until 9:00 am and the wind is supposed to be 10 mph at sunrise and reach a max of 15 mph at 1:00, then drop back down a bit.    I think I am going to start out in my best tree-stand, for the predicted SW wind direction, and strap on my tree umbrella as soon as I get to the stand.  I hope to be there 1/2 hour before sunrise.   I will leave the umbrella up there, but move to a nearby enclosed blind if the wind picks up too bad and the rain goes sideways.   

The predicted high temp of 51 raises a concern over the buck that I shot with my crossbow last Friday, which has been hanging in my garage since then.  I wanted to give that 2-1/2 year old 9 days before processing, but it looks like he will only get 7.   He is going into the freezer tonight.   I don't need the stress about "rotting" meat when I am out there tomorrow, and it will be nice to clear the space on the meat hook in case we need it.