What you totin on sat and why....

Robhuntandfish

M1 Garand with soft points I loaded myself. Doewhacked I have the same great gun. Love it. If you haven't used it service it. I didn't 2 years ago on opening day and a 10 point got a pass because it misfired 4 in row. I cleaned the firing pin but not the gas tube. 2 weeks later he walked right out of the woods looking at me at 80 yards. Thank God 1 shot and he dropped with in 10 feet. Good luck to all and stay safe Saturday

• Like 1

12 ga. Remington 870, left hand model!  I do have a Savage 220 20ga too, but when sighting in last week it was all over the paper, so I am counting on the very first gun I ever bought.   I am in shotgun territory, but I don’t even own a rifle - unless you count a .22LR...

7 hours ago, Core said:

..... I put electrical tape snug and liberally around the end of the barrel, which water-proofs it. .....

Try a small balloon stretched over the muzzle. Any breech loading ML'er is pretty water tight (resistant?), other than end of barrel. Scope was more of an issue for me.

Will be 2nd year carrying my Savage 111 in 270 since county allowed rifes to be used. Still a virgin, so lets hope...

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

its interesting to see what people use.  Everything from 20-12 g shotguns or 243 rifles up to .300 wins .  There was even a 16 gauge which you never see anymore.  My Dad had a browning sweet 16 when i was a kid. Wish i had that gun but he sold it during some hard times and i remember back then he got a lot for it.  Im sure that wasnt easy to do.  But best of luck and hope all those guns have deer in the crosshairs this season.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Browning A bolt .270, synthetic. Keeping the scope clear will be a pita, who’s got tips for that? I do have a neoprene cover on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What about those quick flip scope covers ? Uncle Mikes I think makes them. But good luck finding any today anywhere 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

its interesting to see what people use.  Everything from 20-12 g shotguns or 243 rifles up to .300 wins .  There was even a 16 gauge which you never see anymore.  My Dad had a browning sweet 16 when i was a kid. Wish i had that gun but he sold it during some hard times and i remember back then he got a lot for it.  Im sure that wasnt easy to do.  But best of luck and hope all those guns have deer in the crosshairs this season.  

I️ had the same Sweet 16 Browning mine was Belgium steel. When I️ was away at school my brother sold it for a bag of reffer probably. Wish I still had that gun. I do have a 12 gauge Belgium A5 I️ picked up at an auction couple years back

• Like 1

Wife's Remington 770 .243 because it is a synthetic and light. Not to mention I don't need to shoot more than 75 yards not that I would limit the gun or myself to that distance. I just like carrying it because of the shorter barrel and it's light. She always harasses me because I take it more than I do my .270 or any other gun for that matter. It's just a fun gun.

I'll be carrying my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7MM08 because it is my favorite deer rifle....

I have several other rifles I like to hunt with, but the 7MM08 nearly always gets the nod for the first couple of days...

It has a Burris 2x7 scope and  will easily handle any shots I can get from my tower stand, about 250 yards max...

If I get lucky early, I'll probably give one or two of my other rifles some trigger time..I haven't shot a deer with my Garand M1 in several years, so I'll probably let it go play a few times this season, just so its feelings aren't hurt..

I will use the only big rifle I own. 100 ATR Mossberg topped with a Simmons Pro Hunter scope, chambered in .270. Not a very expensive or pretty rifle, but it gets the job done. I just won $40 bucks with it shooting against the guys that came to hunt the farm in New Berlin that I have been bow hunting. So, it is off to Texas Roadhouse for my wife and me tonight.

• Like 2