Bucks movement, how far will they go?

Iluvracks1359

Hey guys,  many of you have seen the pics of the nice 10 point that I posted earlier in the year, and frankly, I haven't seen him since those pictures. So heres the scenario. Just this past weekend I took one of my cameras and set it up behind my house, I don't hunt there , because its nothing but fields and hedgerows, but I figured, meh , what the heck, lets see whats back there. So, I went up on the hill last night to check my camera, and I see this beautiful 10, that's been there the past 2 days.  The more I stared and marveled at this deer, I thought, my god, he looks ALOT like the buck in my hunting spot. So I got to thinking, . .. is this possible?? Heres the facts, let me know what you guys think:

1. I live almost EXACTLY 3 miles from where I hunt, which is where I started seeing pictures of this buck starting in July, Most recent picture is mid October, maybe like the 14th or so?

2. In order to get to me, Mr buck would have to cross the New York state thruway (there is an underpass connecting to my hunting spot, this may be how he made the trip), and several other roads, and several open fields.

3. The buck has a scar, from where I wounded him last year, but in my most recent pictures, he's right up against the camera, so the flash glares out any details.

I have pictures to post for you guys, but they may not come until tonight when I get a chance. But from what ive stated here, distance, and barriers considered, could this possibly be him?

Alzheimer did a study on this:

http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/art_theywalk.html

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/far-bucks-really-travel-rut/

I know here I pattered deer and they had 3 day rotations...They would show up every 3 days til dead...I once had a buck by my stand that was shot 3 miles away down in the valley a week later

• Like 2

But why did he travel 3 miles to my house. He could have gone 3 miles the other way, and not had to cross the thruway. HE IS FOLLOWING ME! I think our paths are destined to meet again, this deer is my arch rival, Hes everywhere Im not, and everywhere I am, all at different times. I lost sleep over this last night. He has stared me in the eyes as I launched an arrow into his upper shoulder, and now he has come to my home for revenge? does he want to be my trophy? I have NEVER shot anything more than a 4 point, has this buck made the commitment to be my trophy? lol you guys probably think im whacked right out. Ill keep you all posted, and like I said ill post those pictures today at some point. I should make a little hunting show, documenting my journey to  harvest this buck.

• Like 2

yes I've been seeing the neighborhood bucks on a 3 day rotation...  They'll be on my cam and disappear for a couple of days.  Unfortunately I have been in the wrong stand a couple of times this year as a couple of the shooter bucks have been out of range.... so I bet they will surely cover 2 to 3 miles in that time

I have two hunting properties roughly seven miles apart. On multiple occasions over the years deer from one property have been seen on the other. Though there is no Thruway, or major roads between the two. Mostly just woods, fields and county roads.  And knowing most of the local hunters in our area, we often see them kill deer we have seen or we kill deer they have pic's of.  Deer are like people, in some respects. Some are home bodies, while others are serious travelers, or some just get the urge to take a trip now and then. During the rut, if there are plenty of doe in an area, a buck doesn't need to travel very far to find them.  And will tend to stay closer to his core area, than a buck in an area with few doe. He will generally be the one to travel more, searching for a date. So right now, if you have a bunch of doe, you hold the wild card! The bucks will find them!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

But why did he travel 3 miles to my house. He could have gone 3 miles the other way, and not had to cross the thruway. HE IS FOLLOWING ME! I think our paths are destined to meet again, this deer is my arch rival, Hes everywhere Im not, and everywhere I am, all at different times. I lost sleep over this last night. He has stared me in the eyes as I launched an arrow into his upper shoulder, and now he has come to my home for revenge? does he want to be my trophy? I have NEVER shot anything more than a 4 point, has this buck made the commitment to be my trophy? lol you guys probably think im whacked right out. Ill keep you all posted, and like I said ill post those pictures today at some point. I should make a little hunting show, documenting my journey to  harvest this buck.

hes staying away so he will be even bigger for you next year~!

Only reason why mature bucks travel is for a hot doe. Otherwise they stick to where it is safe, they didn't get big by being dumb. Higher doe populations will keep those big bucks in an area BUT those same higher populations make it so they don't have to move as much during daylight hours. The old saying about a young bull and old bull comes to mind. It's a double edged sword. We have higher doe population at my father's property and see the same usual bucks. Here on my property I have had 7 or 8 different bucks on my camera over the last week. 3 I had all season the rest all new. Not a bad thing except they are going past my stand at night!

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, growalot said:

Alzheimer did a study on this:

http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/art_theywalk.html

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/far-bucks-really-travel-rut/

I know here I pattered deer and they had 3 day rotations...They would show up every 3 days til dead...I once had a buck by my stand that was shot 3 miles away down in the valley a week later

Man this article makes me super impressed with how our land and deer herd are going. Truly amazing. And the majority of the land owners around me will shoot a good 2.5 yr old, and a few that hold out for a 3.5 or better like myself. It just goes to show how fast managing can positively effect the herd. From Late Summer, thru this week I've captured on trail cam over 8 local bucks i know for a fact are 4.5yrs+. And probably another half dozen that are 3.5yrs old.  Some regulars some are not as frequent, but in the woods this time of year, we just never know.. 

• Like 2