4H 2017 Deer

sherlockgael

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, grampy said:

I'm a 4-H hunter too. This can be a tough area to hunt with tons of pressure. Congratulations on a nice buck!

Thanks again Grampy--you're one of the people that realizes the challenge of deer hunting in 4H. It's not like the videos on YouTube where you see hunters in western NY watching 30 deer run by and five are bucks! The bucks in 4H go nocturnal after the first shot or so and the does are skiddish too.

I have  question for you--how do they rate the members, such as "Newbie Hunter", "Members", etc. Thanks

Also spoke with a resident in Rensselaervile where I hunt and he informed me that he had seen quite a few bucks through this summer and fall. I did not see many hunters out and about opening day nor this past Friday when I was down there putting up some trail cams. I think there is little or no pressure on the deer herd in this area and if the resident is correct a lot of bucks still out there.

I've had 5 cameras out since August, and things were hopping until about a week before gun opened.  Now they're just intermittent.  Still getting bucks in daylight moving, just very inconsistent.  Personal theory is that there's so many does this year the boys are just breeding breeding breeding.  All locked down in the crud, no real reason to go out into the open.

Gonna be up there this week in Preston Hollow, hope to get lucky as it's been tough this year for our group of guys, 4H is some difficult hunting, been at it for over ten years, nothing like bow hunting in Westchester, congrats sherlockagel and adkhunter some solid bucks you got!

Seems like a bunch of us in close proximity!  My family's property juuuust over the border into schoharie county, on the far side of the rensellearville state forest.  Everybody I talk to isn't seeing ANYTHING right now.  No doe, no little bucks, nothing during daylight.  I beat the brush alot this past weekend, in some of the thickest steepest crud you can find, and didn't see a single tail.

My dad said he saw a mountain lion Sunday on the side of the hill, he was posted up on the side of the hill and just happened to look over and the kitty cone stalking along parallel to him and down the side of the hill.  Lucky he didn't have a heart attack.

I saw some deer movement on Sunday. Couple doe with fawns and a small 6 point that I passed on. All mid afternoon. Still getting a couple of big guys on camera.  But only at night.  My hunting partner has been putting in some time and reports just doe and small bucks at this point. Typical 4-H hunting, for this time of year. But they ARE out there! So don't give up, ya just never know!

• Like 2