Whatcha let walk on Opening Day ?

Water Rat

Sat with daughter til 10:30. Walked back in and sitting by 11 a 4 point comes in at 25 yards and beds down. Chip shot for her. Ugh. Then passed a questionable shooter a few minutes later. Scoped him at 75-80. Little bit later he was 75 or so behind me with a doe about 20 feet in front of him. Ever calm did the trick as I was blowing right at them. He stood broadside , I scoped him and said nope. Good mass , decent body but looked busted up. Hope I don’t regret that one. Figure it’s one more buck for daughter to get chance at. Never killed a wall hanger and a few on cams. So we’ll see. 

• Like 1

Two small bucks and  couple of fawns....Antler size does not matter to me, but these bucks would not have dressed out 100 pounds soaking wet....A small deer takes almost as effort to process as a larger deer, and you get significantly less meat....

i'll hold out for at least an average sized 1.5 year old...  That's the kind of trophy hunter I am.....Hehehehehe...

• Like 4

Right at first light I had a small half rack chase a doe and fawn right under my stand. Shortly after that a wide tall four pointer came by me. After that a button buck came through too. About 2 the same wide tall four pointer came back through. Then to finish off the night a doe with two fawns and two does with two fawns came out and fed in my food plot. If one of my kids wants to go tomorrow a doe could be in trouble, or any bigger bucks that should happen to show up.

One nice 8pt right outta the gate an hour after the sun  popped up.

Technically, it wasn't really a "pass" on HIM as much as it was a pass on a hairy opportunity.

A little outside of sissy's effective range..., and by the time I laid eyes on him, he was skylined on top of a ridge across the creek.

Apparently the guy who set his new stand above us had a clear and safe lane to take careful aim while unloading 5 shots in rapid fashion. We never saw him dragging anything out, so I assume his elevation or windage may have been knocked off a click or two on his hike to the stand,lol

Also let a nice black squirrel walk..., a beaver swim by...,and a blue heron that landed in the creek 5yds outside our blind window.

VERY quiet out there the rest of the day, but we saw some cool shhtuff and had a good time!

• Like 8

I let a medium size doe and a button buck that were together go. I’m sure it was a button buck as he lifted his leg and peed while I had the scope up on him. Both deer broadside at about 45 yards with dmp’s in my pocket.

I’m not seeing any bucks at all.
Over the past week I have seen deer in 6 straight sits with 17 deer total and all does. I’ve let 7 go that I could of shot. All of this from 11/9-11/18. It’s like there is no rut where I hunt. Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let a doe "walk" yesterday as my ML hang fired   Pop goes primer......bang  of course I flinched and shot right over her. Condensation probably got me as I brought gun in house Saturday night. Had electrical tape over the barrel.

Also let a doe walk yesterday that had a tiny wee spotted fawn. Doubting that fawn will make it anyway but not going to be that guy. Thought fawn was a small coyote/fox when I first saw it.