AR's suck

the blur

On 11/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, coonhunter said:

Treeguy, that is how I feel about him seeing the action. He was excited as hell jabbering on the radio. The only problem is that he has only killed one deer his whole life and is still in the early stages of deer hunting where a kill is a lot more important than someone that has killed a bunch. He will feel better when I get him back on one of the farms I hunt with no AR and a doe tag. He found this property himself and we scouted a little bit and he picked his own stand site. I told him what a great job he did and how much he has learned in two years of hunting with me, but he was only partly feeling better. Let him get a couple more deer under his belt and he will be more accepting.

Larry, that is exactly how i do it. Not all of them will have 120+ inches, but most do. My last nine bucks average out to 184 pounds and some of them were leaned right out from running the does and patrolling their rutting territory. I will say that three of these bucks didn't even have 100 inches of antler.

on our QDM co-op youth hunters and hunters who've never shot a buck get a free pass.  otherwise it's antler restrictions.  some youth hunters take a buck under the restrictions at some point and some never do, despite they could.  seems they take to it more than a school text book and are hungry as hell to experience more activity like he did.  they're learning much more than just how to squeeze the trigger and holy mother are they turning into deer slayers that can hold their own hunting with adults that have seen more deer seasons.  no hunter likes to not fill a tag or even just slow days in the deer woods.  this isn't a world of complete success or bust.  it's full of little victories in between.  celebrate them along the way and it'll seem like things just keep getting better.

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

I've got to say your point makes absolutely NO sense.  That extra second may save you from shooting a buck that doesn't qualify under AR's but has ZERO effect on the overall safety of the sport.  This is just some more BS that was fed to the politicians and the DEC by certain "sportsman clubs" in the region to get AR's implemented.  All a crock of self-serving $#!+ in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

i don't know stats or statistics for NY when it comes to safety.  i only know what i'm told by hunters on our large co-op that implements voluntary antler restrictions. they've all said they're more deliberate and slow down to identify what they're shooting at meets the minimum guidelines.  "slow down" being relative, as we're talking seconds to a fraction of a second more. i don't think AR's making things safer is a quantitative thing that can be measured if substantial at all.  i do know that slowing down with a gun in your hands is inherently safer. if you don't think that then there's nothing more i care to discuss.

more so than safety though the hunters are making better shots as they're taking less marginal or rushed shots on bucks and doe due to taking more time or waiting for the deer to get closer to identify it better.  we've all been there. buck steps out. "damn i gotta make this happen quick before it gets away!"

On 11/21/2017 at 12:44 PM, steve863 said:

I've got to say your point makes absolutely NO sense.  That extra second may save you from shooting a buck that doesn't qualify under AR's but has ZERO effect on the overall safety of the sport.  This is just some more BS that was fed to the politicians and the DEC by certain "sportsman clubs" in the region to get AR's implemented.  All a crock of self-serving $#!+ in my opinion.

I agree! How it is safer to have to spend more time looking at the deer and worrying about how many points he has? That whole argument makes no sense at all.

Focusing on the rack makes you more excited and buck fever sets in. When I decide to shoot I will focus on the shot. Sometimes rack is bigger and sometimes smaller but the results is a well placed shot. AR make getting a large buck easier and that's why people support it. Not for any of the other excuses people try to use. If you want bigger racked bucks they are out there just takes alot more effort and luck. Deer season is all year long although you will have to capitalize in the 2 and half months your allowed to hunt them. So if you want a mature large rack buck get to it.

the number of people that participate in hunting is in a huge decline. Many articles have been written on the topic and discuss what could be done to stop this decline.  Non-scientific survey's have shown one reason hunters are dropping out is due to AR's - why go in the woods if the government won't let you shoot a deer ? Something to consider.....

Edited by solon

I couldn't agree more, I live, and hunt 3K Eldred, people in 3M don't understand that the deer they pass on in 3M,  are NICE up here in 3K.  Big deer do exist up here, but if you pass on deer, you may not see another legal buck.  Its catch 22, you want to pass on the smaller legal bucks, but at the same time does are off limits, and you may not see another legal buck.  

I’m sorry but that’s crap I hunt 3h and have monsters on my cam.... here is a pick from my buddies camp in 3k 5 miles from Eldridge... maybe you should hunt harder 1b50d02deba89877f405ffe19715ac86.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you shouldnt call me out....you hunt 3H, I hunt 3K....who cares what your buddy has on cam.  Thats a trail cam, not with your buddy smiling up a storm posing with it.

Chef, not sure where you are trying to go here, but the deer you posted is a nice big deer. I wouldnt pass on that deer, but the guys I know from 3M would say thats a decent deer.  Again whats the point in this? I said we have monsters here....I can post a big giant from my yard last season, but for what? I said we have monsters here...

I hunt Eldred, no clue where "Eldridge' is... 

I have NEVER claimed to be a good hunter, always claimed to be a luck hunter.  I hunt the certain areas that I can hunt, and hope for the best....that shouldn't be a problem, or crap unless I say 3K sucks, and it has no deer....but I never said that, so dont call me out.

Glen spey is where your talking about if Eldridge is Eldred....I probably know the club....I have seen deer that make that deer you posted look average, but who cares....seeing as how I said we have monsters here.  You even said a few weeks back your buddy belongs to a deer camp in Glen spey,  and you have no clue why he pays to be part of it, when it seems like they never get any deer. 

Lastly, you have no clue how much I hunt, just because you shot that buck you shot on opening day, doesn't give you leverage to suggest I should hunt harder.  

Maybe you shouldnt call me out....you hunt 3H, I hunt 3K....who cares what your buddy has on cam.  Thats a trail cam, not with your buddy smiling up a storm posing with it.
Chef, not sure where you are trying to go here, but the deer you posted is a nice big deer. I wouldnt pass on that deer, but the guys I know from 3M would say thats a decent deer.  Again whats the point in this? I said we have monsters here....I can post a big giant from my yard last season, but for what? I said we have monsters here...
I hunt Eldred, no clue where "Eldridge' is... 
I have NEVER claimed to be a good hunter, always claimed to be a luck hunter.  I hunt the certain areas that I can hunt, and hope for the best....that shouldn't be a problem, or crap unless I say 3K sucks, and it has no deer....but I never said that, so dont call me out.
Glen spey is where your talking about if Eldridge is Eldred....I probably know the club....I have seen deer that make that deer you posted look average, but who cares....seeing as how I said we have monsters here.  You even said a few weeks back your buddy belongs to a deer camp in Glen spey,  and you have no clue why he pays to be part of it, when it seems like they never get any deer. 
Lastly, you have no clue how much I hunt, just because you shot that buck you shot on opening day, doesn't give you leverage to suggest I should hunt harder.  

I’m just saying, yes ar’s suck I don’t agree with them. But 3k 3h 3a 3 whatever. The law is what it is...I will say I see bigger bucks and more deer every year. The deer are there the density is just low. They aren’t going to come back over night. I did not mean to offend you. Yes I got lucky this year and shot a buck opening morning. But I also
Worked my ass off for that deer starting last winter. Cleared land planted clover, apple trees, winter wheat, winter rye. I also hung stands all summer ran 20 cameras. Bow hunted every weekend of bow and 12 days during the rut, and after all that I shot a small 6. I wouldn’t have even shot that deer except for the Work travel I have will keep me out of the woods till the last two
Days of the season. I’m not trying to be mean. I like you, like your posts, and as far as this forum goes I consider you a neighbor. I did not mean to offend. I’m just upset with our community as a whole. We all seem to want instant gratification... some dill hole earlier posted that they should extend the public land season. Again sorry if I offended you

• Like 1

Chef, i understand 100%.  I was more annoyed because I ASSUMED, that you thought I was complaining.   I am truly not a complainer, I use a compound bow, over a crossbow, just so I can say I took the challenge of using a compound with a prosthetic arm.  You hit a nerve, its a very touchy topic with complaining with me.  As I said it was an assumption,  I am overly touchy with it becauseI try to impress people with how I do things with a fake arm.  This is not at all like a race card type of thing, or an attempt to make you feel on egg shells, just how I am.  I make the funniest one arm jokes, I promise you.  I saw that thread about state land,  unbelievable lol.  I can tell you I truly have put time in, I have so many hours acrued as far as paid time off, that its manditory I take time off by the first of the year, so i took this whole week off to sit in the woods.  I have sat dark to dark since Saturday, its crazy.   I see deer,  but nothing legal, its almost amazing.  I say all this in a way of just chit chatting with you, not venting, or justifying anything.  I sit in 3M after work daily until dark since bow opener, passed a spike, and a small 6 or 8.  I know a MONSTER is in there, and I want that deer so bad, just to say look what I outsmarted with this fake arm.  Fortunately,  I saw the monster twice from the stand in 3M, I need to stay 20 yards max for a bow shot, I dont want to risk it over 20 yards.  I really cannot believe the size of the deer in 3M.  Like I said, we habe gaints in 3K, but what annoys me is the 3M guys I know see the big BIG deer from up here in 3K, and say yeah thats a decent buck....drives me nuts.  Farms are less up here, than 3M, and nutrients cannot be as plentiful up here, as 3M.  Honestly not complaining, its the comments from the 3M'ers I know, that drive me nuts.  Oh well, I keep putting my time in, and what happens, happens.  20 cameras? This is the first year I haven't run cameras at home, and I kick myself daily.  My father, and I, did buy a camp up in 5J this spring, so that took most of our time this season.  Seriously, no hard feelings,  I didnt mean to jump down your throat, and this novel I just typed, was just chit chatting to you.  

I like that you consider me a neighbor, I think its neat to see another hunters experience online, who is so close.  Its funny, I saw a deer 2 yrs ago right next to a deer camp in Glen Spey, this deer was gigantic! Makes you laugh, because you see members there so often, all months of the year, you wonder if they know that buck is in existence!  

Didn't mean to jump down your throat...defintely the complete opposite as far as someone who wants instant gratification, and things handed to them, it took me 14 yrs to have a chance at a big buck, and it was right here at home, and it changed my life :-)

Edited by Bionic

Chef, i understand 100%.  I was more annoyed because I ASSUMED, that you thought I was complaining.   I am truly not a complainer, I use a compound bow, over a crossbow, just so I can say I took the challenge of using a compound with a prosthetic arm.  You hit a nerve, its a very touchy topic with complaining with me.  As I said it was an assumption,  I am overly touchy with it becauseI try to impress people with how I do things with a fake arm.  This is not at all like a race card type of thing, or an attempt to make you feel on egg shells, just how I am.  I make the funniest one arm jokes, I promise you.  I saw that thread about state land,  unbelievable lol.  I can tell you I truly have put time in, I have so many hours acrued as far as paid time off, that its manditory I take time off by the first of the year, so i took this whole week off to sit in the woods.  I have sat dark to dark since Saturday, its crazy.   I see deer,  but nothing legal, its almost amazing.  I say all this in a way of just chit chatting with you, not venting, or justifying anything.  I sit in 3M after work daily until dark since bow opener, passed a spike, and a small 6 or 8.  I know a MONSTER is in there, and I want that deer so bad, just to say look what I outsmarted with this fake arm.  Fortunately,  I saw the monster twice from the stand in 3M, I need to stay 20 yards max for a bow shot, I dont want to risk it over 20 yards.  I really cannot believe the size of the deer in 3M.  Like I said, we habe gaints in 3K, but what annoys me is the 3M guys I know see the big BIG deer from up here in 3K, and say yeah thats a decent buck....drives me nuts.  Farms are less up here, than 3M, and nutrients cannot be as plentiful up here, as 3M.  Honestly not complaining, its the comments from the 3M'ers I know, that drive me nuts.  Oh well, I keep putting my time in, and what happens, happens.  20 cameras? This is the first year I haven't run cameras at home, and I kick myself daily.  My father, and I, did buy a camp up in 5J this spring, so that took most of our time this season.  Seriously, no hard feelings,  I didnt mean to jump down your throat, and this novel I just typed, was just chit chatting to you.  
I like that you consider me a neighbor, I think its neat to see another hunters experience online, who is so close.  Its funny, I saw a deer 2 yrs ago right next to a deer camp in Glen Spey, this deer was gigantic! Makes you laugh, because you see members there so often, all months of the year, you wonder if they know that buck is in existence!  
Didn't mean to jump down your throat...

It’s all good man and trust me I do respect what you do..... 3m with the “black dirt” is a eastern ny anomaly it is more like western ny the the places we hunt.... it’s not even fair to compare ourselves to 3m. You’re lucky you have places to hunt there

That was my whole point originally, 3m doesn't compare.   Yup, I hunt near Middletown,  and the deer are sickening, the guys I know down there by goshen, are spoiled, and dont understand how when they see 10+ deer each sit, is a treat.    I guess I compared it wrong originally.  Very lucky to have a spot in 3M, It is a spot for does for me, have 2 3M doe tags yearly, without that, no deer nachoes for us, and thats a depressing year.  I really dont mind the challenge here, because when I got my big deer 3 yrs ago, it just makes it that much mpre special,  I still find myself looking at the deer, reliving that day with my dad

9063.jpeg

• Like 3