Who traps anymore?

Doc

Maybe there are some trappers from NYC that could cast a little light on this, but my impression would be that the trapping opportunities there would be very limited. I'm not from NYC and in fact was only there once in my life, so I could be completely wrong on that. One thing to also keep in mind is that the law says that you have to visit all traps at least every 24 hours, so if you have a massive commute to get to the trapline, that might be a hardship. That's all the bad news.

Now....The good news. As far as having your own land to trap on, I would guess that an overwhelming percentage of trappers use other people's land and public lands as their trapping territories. In fact I have read quite a few articles where people use their cars to cover their traplines, making sets in culverts and ditches that are along side the road. So, you don't have to own hundreds of acres to trap.

Trapping techniques like anything else is always easiest to learn if there is some experienced person to teach you. But, trapping is also one of those things that is quite easy to start learning from a book. And most of the tips and techniques can be picked up simply by observing the critters and their sign that they leave behind.

I would suggest that you go to a well-stocked magazine store and pick up a copy of Fur-Fish-Game. They are usually filled with all kinds of trapping articles. Also, there is always a full page ad that advertises trapping books. I highly recommend these books as basic primers for trapping. A lot of them are exactly the same as I used years ago (55 years to be exact). They were written by some guys that really knew their stuff. I'm sure there are other books available too in other places. By the way, one of those books that I mentioned has to do with tanning fur. It's kind of a one-stop shopping all in that magazine. Also, they have regular reports on fur prices and a jillion ads for traps and supplies so you can rough out prices for getting started.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Doc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a beginner get magazines Fur-Fish-Game is good but so are the Trapper predator Caller and the Trapping Post which long time TPC writer Bob Noonan started. Do yourself a favor start with racoons and muskrats. Both are easy to catch. Coons are very forgiving when it comes to poor sets. Hell, when I started I was using victor 1 1/2s which have a hole in the pan and I used monofiliment to tie half a creekchub to the pan. Hey, it worked. Also along shallow streams in moving water I wrapped pans with tin foil shiny side out. Any coon walking by had to investigate and would grab it.

I understand your wanting to trap coyotes. But as a first timer you're setting yourself up for a lot of disheartening results. Zero in on coons over time you'll learn by your mistakes but still catch fur. After a couple of years you will have honed your skills and be ready to tackle canines. If your a deer hunter you already know about funnel areas and pinch points other critters besides deer use them also. You need to be able to read sign really minute sign. You need to identify a furbearer by its poop. You need to know why they are there what they are doing there and most important when are they there. Creekbanks are not very productive for coon when the fields all around are full of corn.

I've trapped the better part of forty years. I had no one to teach me so I learned by trial and error mostly error. Today if I set a goal of 100 fox for the season I usually exceed it.

Gotta hand it to ya Gutpile.  I did a lot of muskrat and coon trapping as a teen.  Used the money to buy fishing lures and supplies.  It's a lot of work considering the hours on the trap line and all of the skinning, scraping and tanning.  But it was fun and interesting at the same time.

Maybe when I retire and find I have more time I'll get back into it again.  But at this time, I could never do what you did when you were going to college.  That would wear me out.

:D

My uncle used to trap the marshes near Jamaica bay Queens for muskrats and did quite well. ( 40 years ago)

I would love to learn trapping...kind of hard when you do not have your own property and have to travel everywhere.  Plus I would really want someone to teach me how to do everything.  I would like to learn how to do the tanning of hides because I am very interested in that part.  Tough living in nYC and wanting to do all of these hunting activities.

I started trapping with my dad when I was able just able to walk, I used to love to go with , him and hope to continue to do trapping with my son , I can still remember when my dad was setting a 3/30 for beaver and it went off and had him by the hand ,Thank goodness I was there to help him get it off his hand and that he was wearing heavy gloves  :D .. Also there is nothing like the memories of getting that 1st coyote trapping ..

Lol ..... I had one of those beaver conibears go off accidentally as I was nesting it down under water in a ditch. It didn't get me, but I spent a few minutes checking all my fingers and hands to see what probably was broke. Of course I was soaking wet from the water the thing threww all over me. I never finished the set. I just handed the trap back to my Brother-in-law who had loaned it to me and told him I would stick to my leg-holds. Muskrat conibears were touchy enough, I really didn't need things that can break bones.

Doc

• 1 month later...

My oldest and I just took up trapping 2 years ago.  We were potluck trapping and got nothing.  Last year we managed one beaver.  In total we are only running a dozen traps, a mix of 110, 220, 330, and adding weasel boxes and some 2cs this year.  i think we're going to focus on the weasels.  Our biggest problem is time, we just don't have any...

• 1 month later...

I still trap. I stopped after graduating from high school but then a few years ago my stepson asked me what my traps were and what they were for. He then said he wanted to learn.

When a kids says that you do not say no. So we got started and I taught him 1st with coon and at the same time I self taught myself how to trap K-9's. My son is now off in the Navy, but I still do it every year with our younger kids as they just love it.

Each year my total catch goes up as you always learn new things & tips. Last year I ended the season with 40 Red Fox, 3 Coyotes & 13 Coon. This year so far I have 2 Coyotes, 1 Red, 1 Coon. I'd rather run traps than hunt anymore.

post-318-131455364574_thumb.jpg

post-318-131455364584_thumb.jpg

post-318-131455364597_thumb.jpg

I grew up in Orange County and can remember my brother doing very well trapping during the 60's & early 70's.

He had about 20 traps and was always working on Muskrat and Raccoon pelts...as they were what was in the woods at the time.

After coming back from 'Vietnam, he didn't trap any longer, but boy did he ever hunt.

I think I'd like to try it myself. I've made a few snares to deal with Varmits in the yard...but wouldn't mind passing my retirement time doing this. Might be more fun than stalking around the public wmu's with my shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trap-curious. Actually have a friend that traps, he does it only for the sport, not the money. He took me out last weekend. My husband's hunting plans for that day fell through, so he tagged along. He set 4 traps, one of which he actually really let me do. He set 2 fox traps, and 1 coyote trap, and let me set the other coyote trap. One of the fox traps produced. My husband went hunting with him today, and Bob sent the fox fur home to me. (Haven't seen it in person yet, but below is a pic)

I think I do want to take the class, but there aren't any in the near future.

post-1828-131455375302_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...