how would you fix the Dacks for deer hunting...and does it need fixing?

Robhuntandfish

How are they biased? Like I said earlier I sleep at a camp "for now" and travel to where the best conditions and sign are. 95% of my hunting is done by parking at a trailhead usually of a main road.

My half of my camp is on the market. For 33K$ it can be yours?

I want to sell it so I can buy a truck camper to be more mobile to save on my driving around before daylight.

I am packing my truck as I type so I can leave at 2am for a 3hr drive to head up to around cranberry lake for the last day because I heard there might still be some tracking snow. I have never hunted this area in my life but I looked at a map and I found where a couple trailheads are that I'm going to check out before daylight. If there is tracking snow I will put a 20$ bill on the fact that I will see a buck tomorrow. Now most likely it won't be a shooter but that's what makes it fun. Having hunted the ADKS for as long as I have I can say that I average more bucks sightings in a day when conditions are right than I do on my family's 300 acre farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a big woods buck killer you waste alot of time blogging with the newbies.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

How are they biased? Like I said earlier I sleep at a camp "for now" and travel to where the best conditions and sign are. 95% of my hunting is done by parking at a trailhead usually of a main road.

My half of my camp is on the market. For 33K$ it can be yours?

I want to sell it so I can buy a truck camper to be more mobile to save on my driving around before daylight.

I am packing my truck as I type so I can leave at 2am for a 3hr drive to head up to around cranberry lake for the last day because I heard there might still be some tracking snow. I have never hunted this area in my life but I looked at a map and I found where a couple trailheads are that I'm going to check out before daylight. If there is tracking snow I will put a 20$ bill on the fact that I will see a buck tomorrow. Now most likely it won't be a shooter but that's what makes it fun. Having hunted the ADKS for as long as I have I can say that I average more bucks sightings in a day when conditions are right than I do on my family's 300 acre farm.

Damn, you are heading pretty close to where I had to give up on a big set of tracks last Sunday, because I had to get the girls home from their grandparents place.  It was a big wide set of tracks, headed up a mountain at 11:00 am, not too far off route 3.   I hope you get him, or at least get a look at him.  We made it out of there just in the nick of time on the holiday weekend.  There was a huge backup Westbound on the 90 about an hour later and my brother got stuck in it for a few hours.    

On 12/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Even so, you freely admitted that the main reason you want road access restricted is so that you have less hunters strolling around on the public land that adjoins your private lease.  You emphasized earlier how driving around being mobile is important to hunting success in the ADK's.

I've spent a good bit of time exploring the ADK's: the few public dirt roads; the trails; and the areas off the trails.  The driving mobility of the public land hunter is not all that extensive compared to someone who has access to the timber lands.  That aside, the best way to find wildlife, at least the big game variety, is to get away from the areas with heavy foot traffic.  Unless you're looking for fresh tracks in the snow, driving the roads has never really yielded much hunting success in the ADK's.  However, certain dirt roads do provide access to low-traffic areas, which is why hunting clubs are so keen to lease the land and lock off the roads and why I'm keen to get into a lease in the near future.  

It's just a bit unfair to criticize a hunter for being too lazy to hike/canoe a dozen miles into a remote spot of public land when a lease hunter is hiking a fraction of that due to the road access.   Conservation easements that facilitate more public access in those types of areas would be a good thing; I'm not preaching anything ground-breaking here as it's already been done in certain areas.

Edited by Padre86