Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Why_its_high_time_to_make_peace_with_crossbow_hunting#
Archery enemies

Why it’s time to finally make peace with crossbow hunters

Where I hunt in Alberta, the final week of this past year’s whitetail season arrived with frigid temperatures. Still, I was determined to hunt through the ridiculous wind chill. Bundled up in the best layers of cold-weather clothing I own, I grabbed my bow and headed off down the trail to sit in my treestand. I felt an extra sense of excitement, as I was carrying my crossbow for the first time ever on a deer hunt.  

I settled into my elevated platform and pulled up the crossbow by a tether. I then carefully placed an arrow on the rail and pulled it into position. A few minutes into my vigil, however, I began to second-guess my decision to use a crossbow. Why? Not because I doubted its effectiveness. Rather, I started thinking about the responses to an opinion column I wrote for Outdoor Canada back in 2008, challenging common myths about crossbows.

An angry backlash

The article created a storm of backlash from angry bowhunters taking me to task. Letters poured in to the magazine and I received disturbing emails and phone calls at home. People I had thought were my friends told me I was a traitor and that they hoped to never speak to me again.

Then I stopped getting emails and newsletters from archery groups. I had friends block my email address and several times I ran into people in public who simply turned their back on me and ignored my presence. Would I lose even more friends if they found out I was now hunting with a crossbow? I thought.

The strangest part of the whole situation was that it wasn’t the archery-only season when I brought my crossbow afield—I could legally hunt with a shotgun, muzzleloader, vertical bow or crossbow. If I shot a deer with a firearm, nobody would say a thing. But if I took a deer with the crossbow, I would surely be chastised. To me, it didn’t make any sense.

Bringing more hunters afield

The hunting community is often its own worst enemy. Instead of working together and agreeing on what to disagree on, groups tend to fight in public—and that gives us all a black eye. Does it really matter if a hunter takes a deer with a crossbow, vertical bow or firearm? Has allowing crossbows in the archery seasons in many North American jurisdictions hurt hunting in any way? The answer to both questions is no. As far as I’m concerned, crossbows have increased hunting opportunities.

Nonetheless, traditional archers regard crossbows as competition and an infringement on their bow-only seasons. I’ve been following the inclusion of crossbows in many archery seasons in other jurisdictions across North America, however, and it hasn’t taken away anyone else’s opportunity. In fact, crossbows have actually boosted interest in archery.

All bowhunters must be skilled

Here in Canada, several provinces have archery seasons that include crossbows. For the most part, the people and groups who screamed that the sky would fall have been remarkably silent. There are still some provincial and territorial wildlife departments that claim crossbows are the ultimate poaching tools, or that they’re so easy to use anyone could shoot a deer with one. But that’s simply not true.

The fact is, whether you use a compound bow or a crossbow, you still need good hunting skills in order to be successful. And with all the technological advancements in archery today, there’s no longer a valid argument that one type of bow offers an advantage over the other. My crossbow hunt for a whitetail was just as challenging as my vertical bow hunt for a mule deer earlier last fall. And just because I shot a mule deer but didn’t get a whitetail, it doesn’t mean my vertical bow has an advantage.

It all comes down to individual situations, spending time in the woods to increase your comfort level, and developing your hunting skills to make you successful—no matter which tool you choose to use. Now, can’t we all just get along?

Edmonton’s Brad Fenson has been shooting a crossbow for six years.
  • Like 6

To each his own, I have several guys I work with hang up the compound to go to a crossbow. When I asked them why the did, they all said it was easier and you didn’t have to practice a lot with it.i have no problem with them using it, but when they do shoot a deer with it, i always think it is a less challenging way. me personally it would take a lot for me to go to a crossbow. Actually It would take me to not be able to shoot a 40 lb draw bow before I would. But that’s me I like the challenge..

• Like 3

Gunners also need to know that crossbow inclusion means less deer for them during gun. I was surprised by the amount of harvested deer this year during archery at the processors. The operator said they were mostly crossbow kills and harvest numbers were way up. I suspect it will be the gunners, not the archers that turn on the x-bow going forward.

Pass the popcorn

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Exactly, so why do the anti-crossbow guys care?

i have explained my position on here numerous times and don't want to go down this road AGAIN. But simply on private land do as you please.  disabled or "old" do as you please. The seasons are good how they are, the myth of being excluded is just that a MYTH

• Like 1

Well all you "bowhunters" that are complaining about crossbows better not be using compound bows because it makes it easier to hunt with. 

Here is a little history lesson for you. Crossbows were around in china in the 6th century B.C. That being said it is more of a traditional weapon that your compound. 

Sure I know some people use those silly looking wheel crossbows that are shot after a 100 shots or so. I'm saying recurve for everyone. Including crossbows. Excalibur makes a fantastic product!

Edited by Cory

Having just hunted my first xbow season, I'll say this much: Xbow is not as easy to use as a rifle and there is definitely a learning curve.  Full inclusion or not would have had zero impact on my hunting.  In fact, I will continue to hunt with the xbow at times during rifle season.  Hunters should use and be proficient with whatever tool they choose to ensure a humane kill.  I don't know why anyone would give a flip what tool another hunter uses legally to harvest a deer.  YMMV.

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 3

My land borders state land and I would say 95% of the guys I see hunting during archery are using bows not crossbows! So your theory of its putting more people in the woods and making it harder on you is a bunch of bull! Sound like a bunch of Hilary supporters.

29 minutes ago, brownclown said:

i have explained my position on here numerous times and don't want to go down this road AGAIN. But simply on private land do as you please.  disabled or "old" do as you please. The seasons are good how they are, the myth of being excluded is just that a MYTH

Blah blah blah. Why dont you answer the question I asked you? Could it be because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? I mean, you were the one that said its pathetic for someone to worry about what other people are using, but then you say you care what other people are using. hmmmm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Blah blah blah. Why dont you answer the question I asked you? Could it be because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth? I mean, you were the one that said its pathetic for someone to worry about what other people are using, but then you say you care what other people are using. hmmmm

No the difference is caring about what people think of you.  I could care less about what you think of me. That's the pathetic part.  Obviously people will always have opinions and judge what others do.

Full inclusion is likely to happen, because any polls taken of NY state hunters have indicated at least two to one in favor of that compared to leaving it 2 weeks only in the Southern zone, or 3 days in the Northern zone as it has been the last 4 seasons.   That includes the poll that was posted on this site in the bowhunting section last year.   NY state DEC is also on record of supporting it.

When and if full inclusion does occur, there is no need for those bow-hunters, who have so valiantly opposed it, to dispair.   Oregon will welcome you there,  the only state that allows no crossbows at any time.   Not only do they have a good population of whitetails, they also have mule deer, elk, and blacktails.  In addition, the scenery out there is the closest that I have scene, in the lower forty eight, to that of NY's Adirondacks.  Don't worry, be Happy.   

Decent article until he said this, which is wrong:

there’s no longer a valid argument that one type of bow offers an advantage over the other.

and then this part, in which he lied:

My crossbow hunt for a whitetail was just as challenging as my vertical bow hunt for a mule deer earlier last fall.

Still not sure why some people argue so vehemently for crossbow because they want it badly and then in the next breathe pretend it isn't in some ways superior to a vertical bow. If that were true, why do they care?

We've already gone all around on this. I bow hunt and I bought a crossbow this year. I will continue to bowhunt and I will crossbow hunt. I still don't want full inclusion. IMO anybody who has actually hunted with a vertical bow and a crossbow and pretends the vertical is equally lethal for the average hunter is lying. I've sent thousands of arrows down range with my vertical and when I pulled the trigger on a deer this year at 30 yards with the crossbow, having shot less than 200 arrows total, I had much higher confidence in that shot than I would have with a vertical. Optical zoom, better accuracy, cocked until ready, twice the downrange energy. People who pretend the crossbow isn't a better tool are speaking nonsense.

Edited by Core
  • Like 6

When and if full inclusion does occur, there is no need for those bow-hunters, who have so valiantly opposed it, to dispair.   Oregon will welcome you there,  the only state that allows no crossbows at any time.   Not only do they have a good population of whitetails, they also have mule deer, elk, and blacktails. 

Though this really has little to do with this thread, Oregon actually has a relatively low whitetail population. It's estimated at around 13,000. Don't let your opinions allow you to lose sight of facts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Papist said:

Gunners also need to know that crossbow inclusion means less deer for them during gun. I was surprised by the amount of harvested deer this year during archery at the processors. The operator said they were mostly crossbow kills and harvest numbers were way up. I suspect it will be the gunners, not the archers that turn on the x-bow going forward.

Pass the popcorn

That's awesome congrats to the successful hunters ! Now maybe we can keep our hunters numbers up for a little bit and maybe even draw more into,the woods , as hunting slowly bleeds to death .

Nice to see xgun hunters are killing them not wounding them .

Why does anyone else care what someone else uses to kill a deer... Do you think they are stealing something form you??? Hunt the way you want, why worry about others if it is legal.... Hell.. I use my Black powder during rifle season... I love my black powder... Can it shoot as far as my 06, no... should I bash others for using center fires?? or scopes on guns.. they make it so you can shoot farther... Not sure why what other legal hunters use should bother anyone else... 

Edited by Grizz1219

Aren't you guys feeling just a bit like programmed recordings. Why don't we just take the other 598 threads on this same subject and copy and paste them in here. It would make just about as much sense as going through all that nonsense again. Seriously, don't you all feel just a little foolish running through the same crap over and over like a bunch of parrots? I kind of doubt that there is anyone who has not heard the same old arguments pro and con so many times that it is all enough to make a person vomit. Now you are all just on auto-pilot regurgitating the same things apparently just to practice your typing skills. Otherwise this redundant thread has absolutely no value at all other than to simply try to piss each other off. Is that what we are now trying to do?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Aren't you guys feeling just a bit like programmed recordings. Why don't we just take the other 598 threads on this same subject and copy and paste them in here. It would make just about as much sense as going through all that nonsense again. Seriously, don't you all feel just a little foolish running through the same crap over and over like a bunch of parrots? I kind of doubt that there is anyone who has not heard the same old arguments pro and con so many times that it is all enough to make a person vomit. Now you are all just on auto-pilot regurgitating the same things apparently just to practice your typing skills. Otherwise this redundant thread has absolutely no value at all other than to simply try to piss each other off. Is that what we are now trying to do?

Doc, if you do not like what is being posted, why do you continue to reply to every thread that is posted? Maybe you are the one that is on auto pilot here! I can name a handful of the anti crossbow posters that will obviously chime in and you are definitely near the top of the list!

This section of the Forum is about crossbow hunting, started by a moderator to give the crossbow people a place to discuss their choices in bows. Maybe it's time for those that don't want crossbows to just ignore what people post here and give everyone a break!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, tughillmcd said:

Doc, if you do not like what is being posted, why do you continue to reply to every thread that is posted? Maybe you are the one that is on auto pilot here! I can name a handful of the anti crossbow posters that will obviously chime in and you are definitely near the top of the list!

This section of the Forum is about crossbow hunting, started by a moderator to give the crossbow people a place to discuss their choices in bows. Maybe it's time for those that don't want crossbows to just ignore what people post here and give everyone a break!

So you seriously think this constant redundant manufactured friction between bowhunters and crossbow proponents is really useful? What kind of kick do you really get out of continuing the same old tired arguments year after year after year.  And I am talking about both sides of this issue. Are you getting some kind of thrill out of rehashing the same old divisive garbage. Exactly what new information has this post provided ..... none.

Now as far as who can participate in this forum, I was not aware that there was any limitations. And no it is not a place where you can carry on the incessant sniping without expectations of return fire. But frankly, the rehashing of crossbow pro and con is truly getting overworked and is really looking more like someone who truly enjoys promoting the discord. Is that what you are all about?

• Like 3

So you seriously think this constant redundant manufactured friction between bowhunters and crossbow proponents is really useful? What kind of kick do you really get out of continuing the same old tired arguments year after year after year.  And I am talking about both sides of this issue. Are you getting some kind of thrill out of rehashing the same old divisive garbage. Exactly what new information has this post provided ..... none.
Now as far as who can participate in this forum, I was not aware that there was any limitations. And no it is not a place where you can carry on the incessant sniping without expectations of return fire. But frankly, the rehashing of crossbow pro and con is truly getting overworked and is really looking more like someone who truly enjoys promoting the discord. Is that what you are all about?
Because the guys who want it see that it is inevitably coming and can't help but try to get under people who don't want its skin. Same old... Not worth debating/arguing anymore.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk