Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

i'm curious about something.  who here is against full inclusion but would be fine with simply lifting restrictions of maximum draw weight and minimum axle-to-axle requirements that prevent hunters from using some of the newer recurve or compound crossbows that are out now?

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

So you seriously think this constant redundant manufactured friction between bowhunters and crossbow proponents is really useful? What kind of kick do you really get out of continuing the same old tired arguments year after year after year.  And I am talking about both sides of this issue. Are you getting some kind of thrill out of rehashing the same old divisive garbage. Exactly what new information has this post provided ..... none.

Now as far as who can participate in this forum, I was not aware that there was any limitations. And no it is not a place where you can carry on the incessant sniping without expectations of return fire. But frankly, the rehashing of crossbow pro and con is truly getting overworked and is really looking more like someone who truly enjoys promoting the discord. Is that what you are all about?

Posting a magazine article from a writer that told of his actual real life experiences when he first wrote about trying a crossbow and the backlash he received from his readers and friends is "manufactured" friction!

Have you read your posts? Are they not the same old tired arguments you have always used? Does your continued bantering and divisive garbage give you a thrill?

Anyone can obviously comment anywhere in this forum they choose. But to constantly troll every discussion about crossbow inclusion is about the same as a Cowbow's fan going into a Giants bar and and talking trash about them ever day. It appears the ones on this forum that truly carry on the discord are the ones that constantly hijack any thread that promotes crossbows. 

1 hour ago, tughillmcd said:

Posting a magazine article from a writer that told of his actual real life experiences when he first wrote about trying a crossbow and the backlash he received from his readers and friends is "manufactured" friction!

Have you read your posts? Are they not the same old tired arguments you have always used? Does your continued bantering and divisive garbage give you a thrill?

Anyone can obviously comment anywhere in this forum they choose. But to constantly troll every discussion about crossbow inclusion is about the same as a Cowbow's fan going into a Giants bar and and talking trash about them ever day. It appears the ones on this forum that truly carry on the discord are the ones that constantly hijack any thread that promotes 

It  all depends if DEC sees  a big jump in deer take I guess .

If they don't see a difference  then why not . 

59 minutes ago, Belo said:

Seems we should all be hunting right now and maybe having more of these convos in the off-season like always

What was your first comment. Oh yeah

yawn!

Why do you want to hold these posts until the "Off Season". You had no problem trolling for the past 2 weeks during the  crossbow season. 

What happened, you get busy at work today?

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm curious about something.  who here is against full inclusion but would be fine with simply lifting restrictions of maximum draw weight and minimum axle-to-axle requirements that prevent hunters from using some of the newer recurve or compound crossbows that are out now?

As long as it does not effect negatively on the deer population  I could care less what people use . I'm assuming the reason archery season  is longer is because the success rate is much lower then gun season or muzzle season . 

So if dec stats show full inclusion  is  not going to make much difference  who  cares . 

Just for everyone's DYK, there is NO way to report a Xbow harvest. It's either gun or bow (or ML). Can't assume just because a harvest was reported within Xbow's 2 week season (SZ), it was not a vertical bow kill!!!! So... the DEC will never know how Xbow useage has influenced the harvest numbers until they change Decal system to include Xbow as weapon of reported harvest. Just saying...

I see a lot of parallels with OP's included story and what happens on this forum every time the word "crossbow" is mentioned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tughillmcd said:

.......Have you read your posts? Are they not the same old tired arguments you have always used? ...... 

Yes but unlike you, I eventually caught on to the fact that this animosity between vertical bowhunters and crossbow hunters has gotten old and serves no purpose other than to cause friction. Now if that is your purpose, then I can see the reason for this post.

Some of you have decided that this forum is not to discuss hunting and shooting of crossbows, or tech talk regarding crossbows, or techniques, but instead use it as a place to extend the politics of your choice of hunting equipment. That has been done already to death and now only serves the purpose of maintaining the contention and discord. I know I was smart enough to figure it out and am not afraid to pass on that discovery as per this reply. But apparently there are others who haven't quite figured it out yet or choose not to.

Edited by Doc

I imagine that anti-crossbow organizations, like NYB, have instructed their members to slam crossbows and full inclusion and to use every opportunity in any public place to get the last word in, right up until their dying breath.   This dwindling number of individuals have been duped into believing that the sky will fall, despite clear evidence to the contrary, from nearby states like Ohio and PA. 

At the same time, we are seeing the emergence of pro-crossbow organizations.    I have to imagine that the antis now feel a lot like the Rebs did during the Civil War, after Gettysburg. They must be starting to realize that the cause they are fighting for is lost.   I agree with the title of this thread and that it is high time we pro-crossbow folks make peace with them and comfort them in this time of the anti's great distress.  That is why I keep bringing up the ANTI-crossbow "Mecca" of Oregon, where they could very likely live out their twilight years without the threat of a "crossbow" invasion.      

Edited by wolc123

If every hunter would use their brains, every square inch of them, when attempting a shot on a whitetail or any animal for that matter. I would have less of problem with Xbow. Im not against Xbow, just "some" of the people that use them that think its easier to kill with, or that it wont deflect a bolt through brush like an arrow would being shot out of a bow. Held and shot like a gun, but flies the same as a bow. Just pass the damn law already. who gives a crap.. 

I have seen several bucks on neighboring properties wounded from Xbow hunters trying to send bolts where bolts and arrows as well do not belong. Hell most slugs and projectiles dont belong either. Thats not blaming Xbows, but putting the blame and accountability on the PERSON SHOOTING the weapon! A Xbow is just as effective and accurate as a Compound bow is... 

Sorry, saw this picture and had to post it LOL!!

FB_IMG_1509992627947.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Just for everyone's DYK, there is NO way to report a Xbow harvest. It's either gun or bow (or ML). Can't assume just because a harvest was reported within Xbow's 2 week season (SZ), it was not a vertical bow kill!!!! So... the DEC will never know how Xbow useage has influenced the harvest numbers until they change Decal system to include Xbow as weapon of reported harvest. Just saying...

I see a lot of parallels with OP's included story and what happens on this forum every time the word "crossbow" is mentioned.

Good point but I think they could get a idea by using pre crossbow year data .

If there were x amount of deer taken pre crossbow in bow season and now there are 2x more . It's a safe bet to assume crossbow have effected the deer take numbers . If nothing else has changed .

But a better way is to have separate tags as you have said . You would think.

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I don’t think so. 

E65E002D-F3A8-40BA-8D29-9B932299CBA3.jpeg

13B9BBD6-04A1-4DB6-8DFA-2DC083714C91.jpeg

16 hours ago, Doc said:

So you seriously think this constant redundant manufactured friction between bowhunters and crossbow proponents is really useful? What kind of kick do you really get out of continuing the same old tired arguments year after year after year.  And I am talking about both sides of this issue. Are you getting some kind of thrill out of rehashing the same old divisive garbage. Exactly what new information has this post provided ..... none.

Now as far as who can participate in this forum, I was not aware that there was any limitations. And no it is not a place where you can carry on the incessant sniping without expectations of return fire. But frankly, the rehashing of crossbow pro and con is truly getting overworked and is really looking more like someone who truly enjoys promoting the discord. Is that what you are all about?

I dont understand why the anti crossbow guys constantly stir things up in the crossbow forum. It doesnt seem to matter what the subject or discussion is, anything related to crossbows attracts the same basic bunch of anti guys, who post nothing but unprompted negative crap about how they hate crossbows. It ALWAYS comes from the anti guys first. Look at this thread, post #5 is where it began. Enough already. You guys that dont like crossbows, just dont comment on the threads, its really that easy. If you cant start controlling yourselves, then I will start dealing with the issue differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

When you go online to report, it asks you.

What was your first comment. Oh yeah

yawn!

Why do you want to hold these posts until the "Off Season". You had no problem trolling for the past 2 weeks during the  crossbow season. 

What happened, you get busy at work today?

Somebody needs to get the sand out of their vagina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont understand why the anti crossbow guys constantly stir things up in the crossbow forum. It doesnt seem to matter what the subject or discussion is, anything related to crossbows attracts the same basic bunch of anti guys, who post nothing but unprompted negative crap about how they hate crossbows. It ALWAYS comes from the anti guys first. Look at this thread, post #5 is where it began. Enough already. You guys that dont like crossbows, just dont comment on the threads, its really that easy. If you cant start controlling yourselves, then I will start dealing with the issue differently.

It’s entertaining. You think the owner doesn’t like the traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for everyone's DYK, there is NO way to report a Xbow harvest. It's either gun or bow (or ML). Can't assume just because a harvest was reported within Xbow's 2 week season (SZ), it was not a vertical bow kill!!!! 

DEC cannot tell how many people hunt with crossbows, but they do collect how many deer are reported being taken with crossbows. The following is a screen shot of the DEC web page. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8316.html

To submit your harvest report you will need the following information:

For All Species:

1. The 12-digit DOC # (phone-in reports) or the Customer ID # (internet reports) on your license privilege panel, carcass tag, or back tag
  2. Your date of birth (you will be asked for 2-digit month, then 2-digit day)
  3. Location of kill: County, Town, and Wildlife Management Unit
  4. Date of kill and hunting season
  5. Sex of the animal
  6. In addition, you will need:

Deer:

• Implement used in hunt (bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, rifle/shotgun, handgun)
  • Season during which deer was taken (regular, archery, muzzleloading)

Bear:

• Implement used in hunt (bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, rifle/shotgun, handgun)
  • Season during which bear was taken (regular, archery, muzzleloading)
  • Age of bear (adult, cub, unknown)
  • Please save the skull or lower jaw for DEC to collect a tooth to age the bear. You will be asked additional contact information of where your bear will be located. DEC will either contact you to arrange collection of the tooth or will send you a packet with instructions for collecting the tooth and a return envelope.

29 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just like the political forum?

I dont have an issue with some back and forth here and there sometimes, but its almost every single thread in the crossbow forum.

And you can count on the same handful of TROLLS to lead the charge. 

43 minutes ago, Belo said:

It’s entertaining. You think the owner doesn’t like the traffic?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Wikipedia definition of an Internet Troll  "....is a person who sows discord on the 
Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

3 minutes ago, tughillmcd said:

And you can count on the same handful of TROLLS to lead the charge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Wikipedia definition of an Internet Troll  "....is a person who sows discord on the 
Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

So , quit your Trolling ! 

• Like 2

How is replying to someone who doesn't want Full Inclusion Trolling ? You think no one should respond in a negative way and so you consider that Trolling ?

I bought a crossbow and have taken it out when legal because it is so much easier to shoot being pre-cocked and a scope . Why would I want to use my compound when the Crossbow is available for me to use  ! The same goes for why use a crossbow during gun season . I am NOT against Crossbows . I just don't want to see Full Inclusion .

How many more threads of this do we need ? 

Responses to this pop up under " Recent Topics " so it's quite visible . Maybe the "Crossbow Hunting" Forum should go the way of "Gun & Hunting Laws & Political Discussions" so that people don't see this redundant discussion / argument .

Hey , gotta go shopping ........:pleasantry:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

How is replying to someone who doesn't want Full Inclusion Trolling ? You think no one should respond in a negative way and so you consider that Trolling ?

I bought a crossbow and have taken it out when legal because it is so much easier to shoot being pre-cocked and a scope . Why would I want to use my compound when the Crossbow is available for me to use  ! The same goes for why use a crossbow during gun season . I am NOT against Crossbows . I just don't want to see Full Inclusion .

How many more threads of this do we need ? 

Responses to this pop up under " Recent Topics " so it's quite visible . Maybe the "Crossbow Hunting" Forum should go the way of "Gun & Hunting Laws & Political Discussions" so that people don't see this redundant discussion / argument .

Hey , gotta go shopping ........:pleasantry:

Kinda the same argument that Liberals use when they don't like a TV Show, instead of turning the channel and watching something else, they want it removed from the air. If you don't like the posts in the Crossbow Section, turn the channel. 

I think threads like these are very effective because we are seeing more and more people who were previously against crossbows and full inclusion who are now for one or both of those.  By contrast, I have not seen any evidence of anyone who was previously for crossbows and/or full inclusion change their mind to being against.  

The single biggest issue that seems to sway folks over to the pro-crossbow side, is less likelihood of wounded and non-recovered deer.  It is true that a crossbow can still wound deer, but it is far less likely at almost all skill levels.    A close second would be age-related health problems.   Clearly the anti-crossbow folks are fighting an uphill battle.   The ground they are standing on is based only on selfish elitism, which does nothing to help their cause.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1