Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

I respect your opinion but a lot of guys don't feel that way just saying  there are, guys that don't even like compound bows  let alone crossbows in early archery  season .
Here is a joke I heard the  other day ,a recurve hunter picks up his friends compound bow as they are hunting from a ground blind shoots and kills a deer at 100 yards and says nice rifle does it come with a scope ?

Many don’t but the majority do.
I have to be honest and this is entirely my opinion. I have read your comments and posts and I honestly don’t think you really own a crossbow. You view is too negative.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have to be honest and this is entirely my opinion. I have read your comments and posts and I honestly don’t think you really own a crossbow. You view is too negative.

I have had a crossbow since I was 13 years old the first one was a Barnett demon . Probably  most here have no idea what that is it's so old  from the 80s lol 

The opinion that a crossbow gives a unfair Advantage goes back to the Pope in the Middle Ages who ban

Them lol 

When you say most guys don't care it all depends how much you are into archery hunting and not other weapons .

A lot of guys me included just want to hunt more so we learn archery to do that .

But it's not the end of the world for me .

But some guys really just want to hunt with a bow  and they don't want them in there season just like a gun hunter would  probably not want a machine gun in there season lol 

It  becomes a arms race that some people don't want to be part of .

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That’s a long time. Before many states even allowed them. Poaching must have been good back then?

Poaching at 13 lol good one 

Lived in Florida back then  I think already legal for hogs  don't remember never went hunting in Florida 

Had it  just to target shoot 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't think he has a recurve either - or ever hunts with it. If he did, he would use it exclusively rather than taking the easier way of the compound and becoming a hypocrite wanting his easier to be the bar for all.

• Like 1

For licensing, the new law treats crossbows as a "muzzleloader. " Hunters must possess a muzzleloader stamp 

So talk to new york State about it legally in new York State crossbows are not considered archery either yet .

Don't you think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves with this full inclusion talk  ?

Edited by Storm914

20 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I don't think he has a recurve either - or ever hunts with it. If he did, he would use it exclusively rather than taking the easier way of the compound and becoming a hypocrite wanting his easier to be the bar for all.

Do you have anything constructive to say or are you going to just make personal attacks and then claim well most guys don't mind if we use are scoped crossbows in all of archery season. 

Well yea if you insult and bully every one on here that says they do mind or disagrees   guess what your not going to have to many guys saying anything against it . If you want a longer crossbow season why can't I get a longer gun season then? 

Everyone wants a longer season .

See what I mean .

Edited by Storm914

For licensing, the new law treats crossbows as a "muzzleloader. " Hunters must possess a muzzleloader stamp 
So talk to new york State about it legally in new York State crossbows are not considered archery either yet .
Don't you think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves with this full inclusion talk  ?

So maybe we should push that the "muzzleloader" privellage be renamed to something like "non-traditional" and still allow it the last 2 weeks before traditional "gun" season ?

As someone who has carried a muzzleloader for the last 10 regular seasons, I would support that if it gives me 2 more weeks to use the muzzleloader.

Muzzleloader hunters have rights too....

#MuzzleloaderHuntersMatter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Do you know what it was tucked i. Under the muzzleloader privilege to start with?

6 minutes ago, JJBat150 said:

So maybe we should push that the "muzzleloader" privellage be renamed to something like "non-traditional" and still allow it the last 2 weeks before traditional "gun" season ?

As someone who has carried a muzzleloader for the last 10 regular seasons, I would support that if it gives me 2 more weeks to use the muzzleloader.

Muzzleloader hunters have rights too....

#MuzzleloaderHuntersMatter

emoji16.pngemoji16.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I like it lol 

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Do you know what it was tucked i. Under the muzzleloader privilege to start with?

Probably because they had some lawyers and  experts from the bow manufacturing  industry's testify to the legislature on the advantages and differences between crossbows and regular bows I'm assuming . 

So legally  that was the only way they could pass that law .

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Probably because they had some lawyers and  experts from the bow manufacturing  industry's testify to the legislature on the advantages and differences between crossbows and regular bows I'm assuming . 

Nope. 

Nope. Not even close. Look into it and try another response after you are informed. See that is the issue I have with you and some others. Spewing talking points and do not know what they are really talking about. Mirrors to anti gun folks.

Advertisement in this month's American Rifleman, peace all you bowhunters you have nothing to fear , there is no real advantage hunting with this over a bow.

150490002559b2f3b94bca1.thumb.jpg.b3ce890f17073eba398e371accd7843a.jpg

The really neat part is that there is nothing to fear. If they don’t want one they don’t have to get one or use one. They could also choose to use a stick bow as well. If they choose

23 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:
31 minutes ago, airedale said:

150490002559b2f3b94bca1.jpg

No it is not legal as of today, but I have been there and heard that one before and my oh my things do have a way of changing don't they?

Below are the bow hunting laws taken from my old 1963 Hunting-Trapping-Fishing Guide when I first got my hunting licence, word for word

Illegal to use a bow other than a longbow capable of propelling an arrow 150 yards, or an arrow with an explosive head or shaft with an arrowhead less than 7/8 of an inch at it's widest point or has less than two sharp cutting edges, to take Deer or Bear. That's all folks!

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Nope. 

So tell us ?I was not there in the room when they past it 

Look you can't use a benchrest or bipod or a rifle scope or hold a bow cocked for hours with a bow .

That alone makes them a different animal .

Edited by Storm914

So tell us ?I was not there in the room when they past it 

Look you can't use a benchrest or bipod or a rifle scope or hold a bow cocked for hours with a bow .
That alone makes them a different animal .

And a compound has cables and cams an fancy rests and super high let off so you aren’t holding full weight. That alone makes them a different animal. But you are ok with that?

You can use a scope on a compound. I’ve done it. Fixed 3 power. Worked great. With my eyes getting worse with age I may put it back on my adjustable site base.

12 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

And a compound has cables and cams an fancy rests and super high let off so you aren’t holding full weight. That alone makes them a different animal. But you are ok with that?

You can use a scope on a compound. I’ve done it. Fixed 3 power. Worked great. With my eyes getting worse with age I may put it back on my adjustable site base.

Crossbow scopes can be much more powerful then that and using a bipod or  benchrest makes even small  50 yard  groups easy  even with a cheep crossbow .

You will out shoot any  bow guy Every time with one . It is what it is .only advantage bows have over crossbows is weight  and they are less awkward to move around as you're walking in the woods . But how long will that last I am sure they are working on that too . Ok guys, I'm in. Lol 

Edited by Storm914

Crossbow scopes can be much more powerful then that and using a bipod or  benchrest makes even small  50 yard  groups easy  even with a cheep crossbow .
You will out shoot any  bow guy Every time with one . It is what it is .only advantage bows have over crossbows is weight  and the are less awkward to move around as you're walking in the woods . But how long will that last I am sure they are working on that too .

And even if all that was as you say. What difference would it make?

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

And so what difference does that make?

All depends on what you want out of a hunting experience.  Some guys like the challenge of recurve others don't care will use the best most effective weapon they can .

Not saying it is bad or good here just pointing out difference .

If it  turns out not enough crossbow  guys are making a big difference of deer take to effect gun season  I really could care less . But I see both sides of it just saying there's always going to be this rivalry between the 2 acually 3 sides recurve guys some don't like compound bows either think it's to much of a advantage. Let alone crossbow