Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

Advertisement in this month's "American Rifleman", peace all you bowhunters you have nothing to fear , there is no real advantage hunting with this weapon over a bow.
150490002559b2f3b94bca1.thumb.jpg.b3ce890f17073eba398e371accd7843a.jpg

I’m glad you posted this. I saw this in d&dh a while back but couldn’t find it online.

Tells you all you need to know about their target demo and shit to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m glad you posted this. I saw this in d&dh a while back but couldn’t find it online.

Tells you all you need to know about their target demo and shit to come

They  have something called a airbow can shoot arrow 500 plus feet per second looks just like a gun why bother with that thing it's old technology 

Edited by Storm914

All depends on what you want out of a hunting experience.  Some guys like the challenge of recurve others don't care will use the best most effective weapon they can .
Not saying it is bad or good here just pointing out difference .
If it  turns out not enough crossbow  guys are making a big difference of deer take to effect gun season  I really could care less . But I see both sides of it just saying there's always going to be this rivalry between the 2 acually 3 sides recurve guys some don't like compound bows either think it's to much of a advantage. Let alone crossbow 

See that hits on the issue. So many of the ones against them and full inclusion are worried about what the other guy is doing and what his experience should be like. I could care less what somebody else is hunting with. It has zero impact on my hunting experience. If it’s legal, choose what you want and go get them.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

See that hits on the issue. So many of the ones against them and full inclusion are worried about what the other guy is doing and what his experience should be like. I could care less what somebody else is hunting with. It has zero impact on my hunting experience. If it’s legal, choose what you want and go get them.

And I am betting you have a place to hunt where you do not have to worry about a level playing field, most with this mindset are hunting private lands posted up tighter than a drum where it is easy to have that kind of attitude.  Always the first thing out of crossbow proponents mouths "We Are Not Shooting Your Deer"  but what about the traditional archers that do not have such opportunities and instead have to grub out a place to hunt on public state lands with plenty of competition?

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

They  have something called a airbow can shoot arrow 500 plus feet per second looks just like a gun why bother with that thing it's old

You need to do some more research on this one too!

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

• Haha 1

Unless you’re hunting 500 acres, added clown hunters to the archery season does impact you.

That may be a selfish thing to say but it’s true.

I’m on my 7th gun sit and it’s just night and day... and it’s not all boom related.

And I am betting you have a place to hunt where you do not have to worry about a level playing field, most with this mindset are hunting private lands posted up tighter than a drum where it is easy to have that kind of attitude.  Always the first thing out of crossbow proponents mouths "We Are Not Shooting Your Deer"  but what about the traditional archers hat do not have such opportunities and instead have to grub out a place to hunt on public state lands with plenty of competition?

Al

I have about 18 acres near my home that gets hunted heavily from a lot of folks. I have a 100 acre big woods lease in 7 R. One deer was taken during gun so far and except for two doe fawns I haven’t seen a deer yet and I have been hunting daylight to dark since opening day. 2500 acres of state land right next to me and I haven’t heard 20 shots there all week. So if all those guys grabbed a crossbow and headed into that state land I don’t see the issue near me. I hunted state land almost exclusively my first 15 years of hunting. There was way more pressure back then. I don’t see the issue honestly. I think it is chicken little syndrome.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tughillmcd said:

You need to do some more research on this one too!

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

Acually you right it's a different brand that shoots at 500 plus  feet per second . The airbow is old technology  too I guess  

And it can shot 45 cal bullets to.  Even better your   crossbow is old technology.  Not accurate enough and it is not as safe as this thing is . 

Edited by Storm914

Well call it Chicken Little Syndrome or whatever you like, I call it being fair and having one stinking week out of a four month Deer season and giving a level playing field to Traditional archers where ever they may be hunting so they do not have to compete with the likes of crossbows like the one above that "WILL" be in the woods eventually and that is not being selfish in my opinion.

Al

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Acually you right it's a different brand that shoots at 500 plus  feet per second . The airbow is old technology  too I guess  

And it can shot 45 cal bullets to.  Even better your   crossbow is old technology.  Not accurate enough and it is not as safe as this thing is . 

Please provide a link to support  the 500 + fps device that also shoots 45 cal bullets.

Well call it Chicken Little Syndrome or whatever you like, I call it being fair and having one stinking week out of a four month Deer season and giving a level playing field to Traditional archers where ever they may be hunting so they do not have to compete with the likes of crossbows like the one above that "WILL" be in the woods eventually and that is not being selfish in my opinion.
Al

Al. I don’t get part of this. One week out of a four month deer season? What that about?

Unless you’re hunting 500 acres, added clown hunters to the archery season does impact you.

That may be a selfish thing to say but it’s true.

I’m on my 7th gun sit and it’s just night and day... and it’s not all boom related.

Clown hunter? About sums up your attitude I guess. What is the purpose of state land? Is it to maintain as little hunting pressure as possible? If that is your goal should we be making state land Accessible for longbow and recurve only? Flintlock only? That should keep the clown hunters out of the game for you

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Al. I don’t get part of this. One week out of a four month deer season? What that about?

What I am saying there is an almost four month Deer season in this state that allows rifles, pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows and crossbows, there is plenty of opportunity for all whatever their weapon of choice is. I am advocating for just one week of traditional bow hunting out of those four months.

Al

Edited by airedale

What I am saying there is an almost four month Deer season in this state that allows rifles, pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows and crossbows, there is plenty of opportunity for all whatever their weapon of choice is. I am advocating for just one week of traditional bow hunting out of those four months.
Al

The vast majority of the state is a little over 2 and a half months. Really wouldn’t care if they gave the month of October to traditional and toss the compounds and crossbows in the first weeks of November. Or visa versa. I don’t take exception to a true traditional season. I have an issue with the “Just this much easy” crowd’s arbitrary line in the sand.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tughillmcd said:

Please provide a link to support  the 500 + fps device that also shoots 45 cal bullets.

I think it's called air Venturi air Bolt works in any 25 cal and up  Pcp air gun and you can get them to go even faster then 500 fps just to let you know  .

Maybe I should not be advertising that fact because there goes bye to all the crossbow guys they will be getting one as soon as they legilze them .Lol 

I think it's called air Venturi air Bolt works in any 25 cal and up  Pcp air gun and you can get them to go even faster then 500 fps just to let you know  .
Maybe I should not be advertising that fact because there goes bye to all the crossbow guys they will be getting one as soon as they legilze them .Lol 

Thought you were a crossbow guy too?

Clown hunter? About sums up your attitude I guess. What is the purpose of state land? Is it to maintain as little hunting pressure as possible? If that is your goal should we be making state land Accessible for longbow and recurve only? Flintlock only? That should keep the clown hunters out of the game for you

If you weren’t disabled you were already a bow hunter. So new hunters are what? Typical gun hunter. And no, not all are bad but you know exactly what I’m talking about and didn’t even respond to my statement. What does state land have to do with anything I said?

4 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

Are you saying a compound hunter is a traditional archer ?

If you weren’t disabled you were already a bow hunter. So new hunters are what? Typical gun hunter. And no, not all are bad but you know exactly what I’m talking about and didn’t even respond to my statement. What does state land have to do with anything I said?

Seems as though you were talking about parcels less than 500 acres or those with unfettered access to every “clown hunter” out there. Increasing pressure so hunting experience is ruined. That seems to be talking about state land given some other comments in here. And so your “experience” is so much more valuable than the “clown hunters” Why is that? Are you entitled more?

And as far as responding to your statement. If you mean that gun season has more pressure than bow season, who could disagree with that. Play the cards you are dealt. Use he pressure to your advantage. Change it up and adapt. It’s how it’s been for decades. The guys who constantly take good deer regardless of what goes on stroud them are the ones we should be watching and learning from. Not shining because there will be added pressure