Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

But you proved the point, where you hunted with less pressure there was deer movement unlike where there was heavy pressure. In a state land situation where you don't have a choice then it would impact you more.

Nope. You missed the point. Every section of state land down NOT get hammered with the kind of pressure you guys are talking about. Find the areas that aren’t and concentrate your efforts there. Yes we have high hunter density but so many claim here what a lazy lot gun Hunters and the easy access areas can be tough. Do some homework.
  • Like 1

Some of the best late season hunting I have had is on parcels that are hunted low impact surrounded by land that gets hunted hard all season. One reason why I love that late Muzzleloader week. And it doesn't have to be a big tract of land. Last year on the last Sunday of ML there was me an another on a 30 acre patch. The deer were on their feet during the day (except the 5 we took, well they were on their feet but not for long. )

I agree that late mz combined with some snow and possible second rut can be some of the best hunting of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Sorry but I fail to see the logic... and for the record there are a great many compound bow hunters that can shoot and do shoot 45 yards, some out to 60. Just because you drive a train doesn't mean you're logical

I disagree that many who shoot at those distances actually hunt and kill at those distances. While a small set of NY hunters, this site alone doesn’t have many of any stories at that distance.

Now to the caboose for you! Haha

There is a multi million dollar industry behind everything that has to do with hunting, so why pick on the crossbow. The same people that pushed compound bows, and inline muzzleloaders are pushing crossbows by your logic. The truth is that there can only be a multi-million dollar business if hunters are very interested in buying and using the item. Hunters seem to like the idea of a crossbow in NY

Not true. What industries are pushing OBRs, ARs, limited doe tags, setback rules, youth hunts, and shooting hours?

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Not true. What industries are pushing OBRs, ARs, limited doe tags, setback rules, youth hunts, and shooting hours?

Sorry I probably should have clarified for the engineer... behind everything that has to do with hunting gear. I thought that is what we were talking about... I like to stay on one subject at a time.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I disagree that many who shoot at those distances actually hunt and kill at those distances. While a small set of NY hunters, this site alone doesn’t have many of any stories at that distance.

Now to the caboose for you! Haha

I haven't heard many stories of crossbows at that distance either... so now where are we? Back to there hasn't been much difference between the two weapons as far as how hunters are actually using them.

Edited by nyantler

Maybe they could do full inclusion temporally at least to study the affects of it 
Just to see what happens if it does not change things fine 
Or pick part of the state to try it out to see what happens then if it works out include the rest of the state .

How about allowing it on private property and let the land owners decide. On state land leave it like it is
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, nyantler said:

Sorry I probably should have clarified for the engineer... behind everything that has to do with hunting gear. I thought that is what we were talking about... I like to stay on one subject at a time.

In Mississippi, if hunting state land you were required to wear a harness and blaze orange. Are those industries pushing this in NY? Did rifle companies push the adoption of rifles in some of the counties we've seen? If so I haven't heard it.

12 hours ago, nyantler said:

I haven't heard many stories of crossbows at that distance either... so now where are we? Back to there hasn't been much difference between the two weapons as far as how hunters are actually using them.

there's a few

23 hours ago, Belo said:

But I stick by my belief (we're no longer in the fact game), that archery was meant to be a challenge. It wasn't meant to be easy. It's my opinion that the crossbow lessens that challenge.

Kind of like how the compound lessons it vs a recurve. Or hiding in a blind or 20 ft in the air makes it far easier to get away with movement. Or trail cams makes it easier to set up where deer may pass thru - and at the times they may do so. Etc.......... All goes back to some wanting their defined "challenge" to be the bar for all.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Kind of like how the compound lessons it vs a recurve. Or hiding in a blind or 20 ft in the air makes it far easier to get away with movement. Or trail cams makes it easier to set up where deer may pass thru - and at the times they may do so. Etc.......... All goes back to some wanting their defined "challenge" to be the bar for all.

see my response on "the challenge line" from yesterday. No disagreement. It's opinion and it wont ever be settled. However, at some point we need a line don't you think? baiting, drone coverage, thermal scopes? There has to be one somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Belo said:

see my response on "the challenge line" from yesterday. No disagreement. It's opinion and it wont ever be settled. However, at some point we need a line don't you think? baiting, drone coverage, thermal scopes? There has to be one somewhere. 

Yep - either draw it at recurves or all bows. Still say 2 seasons - all bows in bow - all guns in gun.

Hunting has been going down from what I have seen since the 80s  or people just are not going out as  much so maybe crossbows in all of archery would not effect much as we think only one way to  know try it out in at least part of the state and let's see what happens. Then all of the state and lets see what happens except maybe not have them in areas of  state land that are already devoid of life from over hunting . 

Edited by Storm914

The line in the sand others have mentioned can NOT be legislated. Laws will NOT prevent stupidity or make every hunter a clone! It happens when you, as a hunter look in the mirror and determine who you really are and how you will enjoy hunting. During this conversation with yourself, you'll decide your own ethics, right vs wrong, goals or expectations, temptations to avoid and methods to increase your hunting opportunities, while still retaining the enjoyment factor of being in the woods. This process defines who you are as a hunter. 

I've done this and BTW it's an evolving process for sure. New laws, neighbors, technology, physical limitations, time restraints, changing personal obligations all influence you as a hunter and your evolving ethics.

Some other states have hunting ethics or a code of conduct spelled out within that state's hunting regulations. NYS does not, it merely lists what's legal & not legal. One of the other states, interestingly list a line item from its' code of conduct as - attempt to satisfy your hunting goals or expectations, while not trying to influence others. Have also seen a similiar phrase within a national bowhunter's creed!

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 5:38 PM, nyantler said:

There is a multi million dollar industry behind everything that has to do with hunting, so why pick on the crossbow. The same people that pushed compound bows, and inline muzzleloaders are pushing crossbows by your logic. The truth is that there can only be a multi-million dollar business if hunters are very interested in buying and using the item. Hunters seem to like the idea of a crossbow in NY

They should at least make it  so anyone over 65 can use a crossbow in all archery and make it easier for people with physical disabilities to just be able to get a doctor's note to use one .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

They should at least make it  so anyone over 65 can use a crossbow in all archery and make it easier for people with physical disabilities to just be able to get a doctor's note to use one .

Full inclusion for anyone would take care of all that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nyantler said:

Full inclusion for anyone would take care of all that

True but it would be much easier to start by passing a law for  senior citizens and disabled  people  first something most people agree on .

Do it in Little steps  will be much easier to pass .

On November 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM, airedale said:

THE SILENCE TO THIS PROPOSAL IS DEAFENING!

As for me I would be all for it win lose or draw.

Al

I held back because in your posts on this  subject " fairness" seems to be your main thing .

The it's not fair and everyone gets a trophy crowd  , frankly I just dismiss on face value. .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Most all of the Southern tier now allows rifles instead of shotguns during gun season. This was a boon for road hunters ! I first hunted the Souther Tier in 1968. Opening day sounded like a war zone! Some 50 years later, after 9AM you wouldn't know gun season had started. Reason? No one is hunting anymore. So, if the inclusion of crossbows will bring more hunters on board, I'm all for it!

• Like 2

Most all of the Southern tier now allows rifles instead of shotguns during gun season. This was a boon for road hunters ! I first hunted the Souther Tier in 1968. Opening day sounded like a war zone! Some 50 years later, after 9AM you wouldn't know gun season had started. Reason? No one is hunting anymore. So, if the inclusion of crossbows will bring more hunters on board, I'm all for it!

Lol, what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk