Question about 2 hills, and how the scent travel affects deer travel

Bionic

Doc, thanks for that last response, your hill is bigger than my hill, I am comfortable with that.  I have a camp in the Adirondacks,  I am not unfamiliar as to what a true hill is.  Point is, when posting this in the beginning, I figured this "hill" which I checked on a topo, climbs that subtle 30' over 178' by foot travel...I have been to actual hills, and mountains, and know this is a simple feature.  However, Compared to the sourrounding arces here, it is the most boldest feature.  The surrounding acres, are true lumps in terrain.  I cant imagine this hill has little to no effect on its surrounding when its the boldest feature on this postage stamp of 300 some odd acres.  I have permission for about 80 acres of it, but unfortunately,  access is a small area, due to homes, etc.  I appreciate you not wanting to give me a half a** of an answer though....your input is not wasted.

Moog, thanks again! I will keep reading on HuntingBeast....they are critical lf every detail over there, they are midwest, but a lot can still apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Doc, thanks for that last response, your hill is bigger than my hill, I am comfortable with that.  I have a camp in the Adirondacks,  I am not unfamiliar as to what a true hill is.  Point is, when posting this in the beginning, I figured this "hill" which I checked on a topo, climbs that subtle 30' over 178' by foot travel...I have been to actual hills, and mountains, and know this is a simple feature.  However, Compared to the sourrounding arces here, it is the most boldest feature.  The surrounding acres, are true lumps in terrain.  I cant imagine this hill has little to no effect on its surrounding when its the boldest feature on this postage stamp of 300 some odd acres.  I have permission for about 80 acres of it, but unfortunately,  access is a small area, due to homes, etc.  I appreciate you not wanting to give me a half a** of an answer though....your input is not wasted.

Moog, thanks again! I will keep reading on HuntingBeast....they are critical lf every detail over there, they are midwest, but a lot can still apply.

Yep - hunting beast has some very knowledgeable hunters willing to share info.    That is a much slower climb than I expected based on your drawings but sit it and see what happens.  Hope you knock one down!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bionic said:

Thank you for all that info, I read it a good 5x, and I follow you.   Makes sense.  I was under the impression, that deer follow hills when wind is blowing from the high side, because they can SEE below them, but can smell what they cannot see.  As I typed that, maybe that was for bedding on hills, and points...I read on HuntingBeast from time to time.

yea that concept is very common for bedding locations.  opposite for bucks or deer cruising looking for deer. more discussed is the idea of a buck using that to those thick low lying pockets of cover for hot doe without actually traveling down into them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Yep - hunting beast has some very knowledgeable hunters willing to share info.    That is a much slower climb than I expected based on your drawings but sit it and see what happens.  Hope you knock one down!

i was thinking the same as you.  figured it a bit steeper grade.

10 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You still aren't getting it Doc but I will let it be.  It's not a question of relying on thermals to counteract predominant wind, it's an understanding of how they work together.  And the effect of scent rising applies at 30" and 1000".   

I do "get it", but I refuse to simplify the physics of wind direction to just one isolated effect. I have already said that I am a student of thermals as the country that I have hunted all of my 57 years of deer hunting is impacted at one time or another by the fact of thermals. But thermals do not act alone to determine wind direction. There are many other forces in the same environment that are  working with or against  these forces of cooling and warming atmospheric conditions. Part of the significance of thermals depends on the amount of area that these thermal forces are working on and the magnitude is affected by the size of the slope and height variation. The flow and the force of thermals builds as the distance and elevation change increase. This is what determines the magnitude of temperature driven wind forces and how their effect interacts and tries to overcome all of the other wind direction determinants. The lesser the change in elevation the more likely that thermals become insignificant and are diffused by other factors. So if you are going to give advice, it is important that you cover the subject adequately so as to not mislead. There is a whole lot more science involved in the study of wind direction than simply saying daytime cooling always causes wind to flow downhill and daytime heating always causes wind to flow uphill. I have been burned by that kind of over-simplification and partial analysis, and so I am very careful about giving out inadequate and possibly misleading information.